Need schematic to make programmer for PIC18 series

Started by Unknown December 22, 2005
I want to build my own hardware programmer to program the Microchip
PIC18 series of devices. I want to use the parallel port or possibly
the USB port. I don't want to use the serial port because they are now
obsolete and no longer ship on newer computers. USB-to-Serial adapters
cannot be used because programmers like IC-Prog and WinPic cannot work
with these "virtual" serial ports - they need "real" serial ports.

Do you know where I can find a schematic on the Internet where I can
build my own. It would be nice if one of the well-known programming
applications like IC-Prog or WinPic are capable of communicating with
this hardware. If not, then perhaps you can suggest another software
app that can.

Thanks for your help
Johann Blake

In the winpic FAQ there is a circuit diagram for a parallel port programmer.

Mike.

On 22 Dec 2005 00:15:35 -0800, johannblake@yahoo.com wrote:

>I want to build my own hardware programmer to program the Microchip >PIC18 series of devices. I want to use the parallel port or possibly >the USB port. I don't want to use the serial port because they are now >obsolete and no longer ship on newer computers. USB-to-Serial adapters >cannot be used because programmers like IC-Prog and WinPic cannot work >with these "virtual" serial ports - they need "real" serial ports.
Just buy the Microchip ICD2. It's really worth its money and will save you lots of headache. THe real value is that you can not only program the chips but also debug them - and this is a real timesaver. The MPLab software is free. Mit freundlichen Gr&#4294967295;&#4294967295;en Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference