AVR + USB Memory stick

Started by Unknown December 26, 2005
I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of
the AVR Mega).
I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective
storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with
an ATMEL microcotroller?

Ray

> I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective > storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with > an ATMEL microcotroller?
No. Use a CompactFlash card.

Use a SD/MMC card ,much easier than compactflash Just set the AVR for SPI , and connect the SD/MMC via a cpl of voltagedividers. See www.microsyl.com (LCD sign) Carsten
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:59:32 +1100, <Ray> wrote:

>I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of >the AVR Mega). >I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective >storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with >an ATMEL microcotroller? > >Ray
This chip will do it - does all the FAT stuff from a simple serial interface., as well as allowing access to USB mice, keyboards, printers etc. http://www.alfat.co.uk/usbwiz.html
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:16:40 GMT, the renowned Mike Harrison
<mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:59:32 +1100, <Ray> wrote: > >>I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of >>the AVR Mega). >>I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective >>storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with >>an ATMEL microcotroller? >> >>Ray > >This chip will do it - does all the FAT stuff from a simple serial interface., as well as allowing >access to USB mice, keyboards, printers etc. >http://www.alfat.co.uk/usbwiz.html
"USBWiz".. it's a preprogrammed LPC2114 ARM chip used with an ISP1160? There's something a bit sad about using a double-digit MHz 128K 32-bit processor to interface an 8-bit micro with a USB flash drive, but I bet that could be pretty useful in some circumstances. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:16:40 GMT, the renowned Mike Harrison > <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: > > >On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:59:32 +1100, <Ray> wrote: > > > >>I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of > >>the AVR Mega). > >>I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost effective > >>storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory stick with > >>an ATMEL microcotroller? > >> > >>Ray > > > >This chip will do it - does all the FAT stuff from a simple serial interface., as well as allowing > >access to USB mice, keyboards, printers etc. > >http://www.alfat.co.uk/usbwiz.html > > "USBWiz".. it's a preprogrammed LPC2114 ARM chip used with an ISP1160? > > There's something a bit sad about using a double-digit MHz 128K 32-bit > processor to interface an 8-bit micro with a USB flash drive, but I > bet that could be pretty useful in some circumstances.
And for 40 pounds (60 USD), you can almost get a complete 32bit board with USB and many other stuffs.

At 40 British pounds not exactly cheap. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
<Ray> skrev i meddelandet
>I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of >the AVR Mega). > I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost > effective storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory > stick with an ATMEL microcotroller? > > Ray > >
The advantage of the USB memory stick is that many people have one and they are easy to connect to just about any PC. The SD/MMC is easier to connect to the AVR but will require a memory reader on most PCs. Check www.avrfreaks.net. There is someone which has a ready application for SD connection and sells the source code etc. for about $130 I think they use a mega128. A part with external bus might be good if you want to use Compactflash. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may bot be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:54:28 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

> ><Ray> skrev i meddelandet >news:43b01341$0$25854$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... >>I want to build an small data logger based around ATMEL's 8535 (or one of >>the AVR Mega). >> I need to log around 300MBytes of data. USB memory sticks are cost >> effective storage mediums. Is there a simple way to interface a USB memory >> stick with an ATMEL microcotroller? >> >> Ray >> >> > >The advantage of the USB memory stick is that many people have one and >they are easy to connect to just about any PC. >The SD/MMC is easier to connect to the AVR but will require a memory reader >on most PCs.
Although the readers are so cheap that it may be viable to ship one with the product.

Have a look at this one for the AVR (It's free) Maybe use BabelFish http://www.ulrichradig.de/site/atmel/avr_mmcsd/index.htm Carsten