ST10 vrs ARM

Started by David Fowler December 31, 2005
Someone I know is about to start a new hardware development effort with the ST10. Seems to me that the ARM would be a better choice from the standpoint of unit cost and development tools. Either processor will do the job.

What do you think of the ST10 vrs Phillips or Atmel ARM?
David Fowler wrote:
> Someone I know is about to start a new hardware development effort with the ST10. Seems to me that the ARM would be a better choice from the standpoint of unit cost and development tools. Either processor will do the job. > > What do you think of the ST10 vrs Phillips or Atmel ARM?
The ST10/C166 architecture is very ugly when compared to the ARM.
David Fowler wrote:
> Someone I know is about to start a new hardware development effort with the ST10. Seems to me that the ARM would be a better choice from the standpoint of unit cost and development tools. Either processor will do the job.
> What do you think of the ST10 vrs Phillips or Atmel ARM?
If either really will do the task, then I'd suggest they talk with a ST FAE - ST now offer both ST10 and ARM variants, so can give reasonable road map, and design life indications, for their support for both families. -jg
David,

the ST10 (which started out as second source for the Infineon
C166-family) has an interrupt controller built in that beats any ARM7
or even ARM9 on the market. There are also great benefits it bit
handling and port switching are important for the ST10.
However, if you are looking at interrupt response times with "below 1
us is good enough" and bit handling is not your primary concern, you
will et a better price / performance deal with ARM.  ST710 devices are
actually all reused automotive ASICs and while they have nice
peripherals, the question remains, what happens when the key customer
goes away?
The only devices build from scretch as multipurpose microcontrollers
are the Philips LPC2000 family and the Atmel SAM7S series.
For more information on the LPC2000 you might want to check in at the
Yahoo forum and browse trough the archives.

Overall, the ST10/C166 have still some response time advantages over
the ARM but the ARM is much more future oriented as there are upgrade
code compatible paths for many years to come.

An Schwob

David Fowler wrote:
> Someone I know is about to start a new hardware development effort with the ST10. Seems to me that the ARM would be a better choice from the standpoint of unit cost and development tools. Either processor will do the job. > > What do you think of the ST10 vrs Phillips or Atmel ARM?
I want to thank all of you that replied to my orginal message.  I am impressed that every single response was helpfull.  Thank you.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference