USB Host?

Started by Nick January 22, 2006
"Hans-Bernhard Broeker" <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message
news:43klejF1ofd50U1@news.dfncis.de...
> In comp.arch.embedded John Jardine. <john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: > > > Don't know if this is relevant to your particular printer but > > standard USB printers generally assume that their supplied PC driver > > software will be doing all the bit image graphic calculations for > > driving the print head and platten etc. > > This would be relevant, if it weren't so blatantly wrong. > > The majority of consumer printers being too dumb to do their own > rendering exhibits a random temporal coincidence with them having USB > ports, at best. So-called "GDI printers", a.k.a. "Windows printers" > have existed longer than USB has been the de-facto only printer port. > > The sanity of a printer's control protocol has next to nothing to do > with its communication technology, with only one major exception: real > honest-to-god network printers still tend to have usable programming > languages, like PostScript. > > -- > Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) > Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Yes of course there is no correlation between USB and dumb processing. The note to Nick was intended as a general, open ended, 'you will of course, undoubtably already know' ... that a mass produced, standard, printer (USB interfaced) would after all the effort of implementing USB comms etc, still not be capable of acting on standard -Lineprint "Hello world"- string type commands. Undoubtably, Nick would already have factored this in ... john
And looking ahead ... http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/d/6/5d6eaf2b-7ddf-476b-93dc-7cf0072878e6/Metro_support.doc
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:48:15 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote:

> [...]
Don't you just hate expressions like "the best printing experience..." Do Americans actually use expressions like this in normal life, or is it just Microsoft-Speak?
Mike Harrison wrote:

> Don't you just hate expressions like "the best printing experience..." > Do Americans actually use expressions like this in normal life, or is it just Microsoft-Speak?
It's marketing-speak, not unique to Microsoft and not unique to America. I myself use it in two situations: 1) Tongue in cheek statements. 2) Communications that are directed at marketing, particularly if cc'd to engineering (see 1).
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:45:02 +0000, Mike Harrison wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:48:15 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy" > <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote: > > >>> Yes of course there is no correlation between USB and dumb processing. >>> The note to Nick was intended as a general, open ended, 'you will of >>> course, >>> undoubtably already know' ... that a mass produced, standard, printer >>> (USB >>> interfaced) would after all the effort of implementing USB comms etc, >>> still >>> not be capable of acting on standard -Lineprint "Hello world"- string >>> type >>> commands. >>> Undoubtably, Nick would already have factored this in ... john >>> >>> >>> >>And looking ahead ... >>http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/d/6/5d6eaf2b-7ddf-476b-93dc-7cf0072878e6/Metro_support.doc >> > Don't you just hate expressions like "the best printing experience..." > Do Americans actually use expressions like this in normal life, or is it > just Microsoft-Speak?
I speed-read the file, but my eyes quickly glazed over from the marketing-speak... Sounds like a vain attempt to budge PostScript from the professional printing market. Fat chance. The reason cheapo printers use GDI in the first place is that "limited RGB" printing is just fine for printing out pie charts, Powerpoint handouts, memos, emails etc. Back to the point (my application!) - I work for the printer vendor, what I have in mind is actually a printer accessory. Cheers, Nick
Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:09:50 +0000, Mike Harrison wrote: > > > > Take a look at this product : > > http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBhost.htm > > > > For low volumes it's probably the only viable solution as there is a lot > > of software involved in doing USB host. > > > > Also look at USB On-The-Go (OTG) stuff, e.g. from Philips. > > The USBwiz looks pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
I like the section in their docs on USB Mythology!
dan.ellis__news@newnhamresearch.com wrote:
> Nick wrote: > >>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:09:50 +0000, Mike Harrison wrote: >> >>>Take a look at this product : >>>http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBhost.htm >>> >>>For low volumes it's probably the only viable solution as there is a lot >>>of software involved in doing USB host. >>> >>>Also look at USB On-The-Go (OTG) stuff, e.g. from Philips. >> >>The USBwiz looks pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. > > > I like the section in their docs on USB Mythology!
Huh? Maybe I'm just tuned to the wrong frequency, but how does that section qualify as describing mythology? -- Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918 5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460 Kennesaw, GA, USA 30144 http://mnmoran.org "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key." The Eagles, "Already Gone" The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:03:46 -0500, Michael N. Moran wrote:

> dan.ellis__news@newnhamresearch.com wrote: >> Nick wrote: >> >>>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:09:50 +0000, Mike Harrison wrote: >>> >>>>Take a look at this product : >>>>http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBhost.htm >>>> >>>>For low volumes it's probably the only viable solution as there is a >>>>lot of software involved in doing USB host. >>>> >>>>Also look at USB On-The-Go (OTG) stuff, e.g. from Philips. >>> >>>The USBwiz looks pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. >> >> >> I like the section in their docs on USB Mythology! > > Huh? Maybe I'm just tuned to the wrong frequency, but how does that > section qualify as describing mythology?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe dan.ellis likes it because it gives a fairly comprehensible explanation of the USB Black Magick. ;-) Cheers! Rich