OT a little: Linux program to talk to serial port for downloading firmware?

Started by Pat Farrell February 8, 2006

Has anyone found a similar way to program the MC9s08? Thanks. -- Steven D. Swift, novatech@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997 206.301.8986, fax 206.363.4367 Seattle, Washington 98155 USA
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-02-09, Pat Farrell <pfarrell@nospam.com> wrote: >> I'm working on a project using a TI MSP430. The compiler/IDE >> tool (IAR) wants to run on Windows. >> >> To download new flash code, it want me to use zmodem protocol >> over a serial line. > > Eh? The '430 has a built-in serial bootloader, and it doesn't > use Z-Modem. Are you talking to some sort of ROM-monitor?
Well, the '430 is embedded in an Ember dev kit. You actually talk to its "rabbit" processor. Plus, I'm a newbie at this embedded stuff.
> Unless you're talking to a ROM-monitor program on the 430, you > could just use an MSP430 downloader utilities that runs > on Linux > > http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/manual/x1607.html#pybsl
Thanks for the link, there is tons of good information there. -- Pat
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:45:23 -0500, Pat Farrell wrote:

> I'm working on a project using a TI MSP430. The compiler/IDE tool (IAR) > wants to run on Windows. > > To download new flash code, it want me to use zmodem protocol over a > serial line. Which seems to be pretty straightforward on Windows using > Hyperterminal. > > I haven't used a modem or serial communications program in this century. > Is there a nice linux way to do the same thing?
There is a Linux flavor of the Professional-YAM comms program, with an integrated ZMODEM. Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) is used in a number of embedded applications which are not well suited to the 1986 programs. -- Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430 Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software" 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:45:23 -0500, Pat Farrell wrote:
> >> I'm working on a project using a TI MSP430. The compiler/IDE tool (IAR) >> wants to run on Windows. >> >> To download new flash code, it want me to use zmodem protocol over a >> serial line. Which seems to be pretty straightforward on Windows using >> Hyperterminal. >> >> I haven't used a modem or serial communications program in this century. >> Is there a nice linux way to do the same thing? >
Try gtkterm. I use it for downloading code to an 8051 SBC. Ian