Has anyone disassembly the monitor-51 ?

Started by Chester February 8, 2006
  I am developing a high-performance 8051 IP, I encounter the debugging
problem when the system code is large. At my system, the program is
storaged in the external Flash which is addressed by banking mechanism.
Due to the monitor-51 can't set break-point within the Flash area.  To
accerelate the project progression, an efficiency debgging tool is
necessary. Based on the current environment, I want to add some
dedicated HW to take the break-point comparsion. For re-used the Keil-C
IDE environment, I need to modified the monitor-51 code to replace the
break-point feature. Does anyone cracked this one ? Or where can get
the OCDS specification of Keil-C supported ?

      Chester

"Chester" <chesterhuang@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am developing a high-performance 8051 IP, I encounter the debugging > problem when the system code is large. At my system, the program is > storaged in the external Flash which is addressed by banking mechanism. > Due to the monitor-51 can't set break-point within the Flash area. To > accerelate the project progression, an efficiency debgging tool is > necessary. Based on the current environment, I want to add some > dedicated HW to take the break-point comparsion. For re-used the Keil-C > IDE environment, I need to modified the monitor-51 code to replace the > break-point feature. Does anyone cracked this one ? Or where can get > the OCDS specification of Keil-C supported ?
Good God man. Buy an emulator and ditch the monitor program. They are so cheap its hard not to justify using an 8051 emulator today. Check out Metalink emulators if you are on the cheap.
Dear Sir:
     Thank your opinion, the emulator seems can't solve my problem
after I visiting the Metalink web-site. My 8051 IP, which has the
multiple bus to speed-up these memory access and special DMA engines to
support the high speed data moving between 8051 and various
peripherial. all designs are RTL form and has been ported on FPGA
platform now. This is the reason why I we want to do it. Do you have
any suggestion ? thank you a lot.

            Chester

Chester wrote:

> Dear Sir: > Thank your opinion, the emulator seems can't solve my problem > after I visiting the Metalink web-site. My 8051 IP, which has the > multiple bus to speed-up these memory access and special DMA engines to > support the high speed data moving between 8051 and various > peripherial. all designs are RTL form and has been ported on FPGA > platform now. This is the reason why I we want to do it. Do you have > any suggestion ? thank you a lot.
You do have a Legit Keil system ? Then ask keil, explaining what you are trying to do - they should be helpfull. If you are doing IP, you may want to add debug-assist support, like making the unused opcode A5H, a Single Byte SW breakpoint, and / or adding HW breakpoint registers in sfr space. -jg
At current stage,I use the GNU assembler to generate the test code for
RTL verification. It is enough for me now. Thanks your suggestion, the
sigle-byte break-point(ox5AH) and PC counter compartor  both have been
implemented at my RTL code already. The specifciation of break-point is
same as TI product but has addtional banking support.
The other side, I am serveying these development tool, The debug
environment support is the key-point of my purchase decision. If I can
modify monitor-51 such that the design can be debug under Keil-C
environment smoothly. No doubt, I will purchase it immediately. If this
way is fail, I need to try other products for a better solution. Has
anyone other suggestion ?

                                                            Chester

Memfault Beyond the Launch