3A adaptor for driving LCD

Started by chris_ivan February 9, 2006
Learning is great. http://webench.national.com/appinfo/power/webench/index.cgi Kelly
"chris_ivan" <chris.ivan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > This may seems a stupid question, but I would be if I don't ask. I just > wonder whether it is possible to build 3A adaptor using 1A linear > regulators connected in parallel. In theory it's possible, isn't it?
It is possible in theory, but in practice you'll have problems with current sharing - i.e. it will almost certainly prove tricky to get the parallel regulators to share nicely. It can be done rather better with a single regulator reference/feedback/comparison circuit and a number of series-pass MOSFETs in parallel and bolted onto the same heatsink... but a switcher is a far better approach. A linear regulator providing 3A is, no matter which way you do it, going to waste an awful lot of energy as excess heat which will need dumping somehow. Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
chris_ivan wrote:
> Steve at fivetrees wrote: > > To be blunt, I think you're going about this the wrong way. For that kind of > > application, I would strongly recommend you use a switching regulator. > > However, with respect, if you're struggling with a linear regulator, you'll > > be in all kinds of trouble with a switcher. Why not just buy a switching > > module? > > > > Steve > > http://www.fivetrees.com > > Hi Steve, > > thanks for the recommendation. To be honest, I usually build power > supply module for microcontroller system whose current need around 1A. > So far I don't find any difficulties with linear regulator. This is the > first time I build 3A adaptor. I'm gonna start learning the alternative > using switching regulator. Ah, also in the city where I live in, > electronic shops typically sells adaptor around 1A, if I need more > current, I ought to build it by my own. I also looked for switching > transformer to reduce the size of the stuff, but I hardly found it.
You can easily build one for a few bucks. A 30V 7A MOSFET costs around $1. Unfortunately, most controllers are very small and difficult to build without a PCB. Everything else can be hand wired, includind the MOSFET. We are thinking about build an adaptor just for the controller (lm3485), expanding from MSOP-8 to DIP-8.
> > This may seems a stupid question, but I would be if I don't ask. I just > wonder whether it is possible to build 3A adaptor using 1A linear > regulators connected in parallel. In theory it's possible, isn't it?
No, it's not. They all see overloading conditions and shut down itself. You can use by-pass MOSFET or IGBT. But why not using switchers with 80% to 90% efficiency?