Compiler for AT91 ARM processors

Started by Henrik [6650] February 15, 2006
In article <xJGuRTDh+M+DFAwY@phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, chris@phaedsys.org
says...
> In article <MPG.1e6079d29d7db054989735@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Gene S. > Berkowitz <first.last@comcast.net> writes > >In article <45mbs0F7btanU1@individual.net>, paul@scazon.com says... > >> Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote: > >> > >> > So the only valid conclusion is that these benchmarks show that GCC is > >> > quite efficient in string handling. Whereas the IAR-benchmarks test > >> > real-world embbedded applications. > >> > <http://www.iar.se/p43943/p43943_eng.php> > >> > >> They only show code size... and (see other posts) you can't be sure if > >> they've optimised appropriately. > > > > > > > >..and I'll take this opportunity to point out that GCC supports C++, > >while IAR supports only the Embedded C++ subset, and Keil doesn't > >support it at all (at present). > > > >--Gene > > > > > Why do you think EC++ was developed in the first place? (and it wasn't > by IAR)
> EC++ is used on systems where full C++ compilers are available > because EC++ is a good idea for embedded systems. There are several > compilers which have a C++/EC++ switch. > > IAR could implement full C++ on several of their targets if they wanted > to and it was a good idea.
But they haven't, so therefore it isn't a good idea, or they have other things to do?
> > The fact that GCC does not support EC++ is not a plus point for GCC it > is a negative point.
There is nothing in GCC that prevents one from NOT using the C++ features omitted from EC++, so this is a rather specious claim... EC++ is not an ISO standard, it was a stopgap measure by compiler writers who could not wait for the C++ standard to stabilize. --Gene
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:05:53 +0000 in comp.arch.embedded, Chris Hills
<chris@phaedsys.org> wrote:

>In article <MPG.1e6079d29d7db054989735@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Gene S. >Berkowitz <first.last@comcast.net> writes
[...]
The rationale makes it obvious that EC++ was developed because a bunch of Japanese chip companies thought embedded programmers were too stupid to be able to use the parts of the C++ language they themselves did not understand fully. Evidence? http://www.caravan.net/ec2plus/rationale.html, section 2.1, quote: "Thus, a 'mutable' specifier might bewilder the average embedded systems programmer." [...]
> >The fact that GCC does not support EC++ is not a plus point for GCC it >is a negative point.
Hooey. GCC supports EC++, it just doesn't enforce it. EC++ is nothing more than a simple subset of standard C++. Instead of adding useful extensions (like memory space control or standardized hardware access), the "committee" decided simply to limit the power of the existing language to prevent possible misuse. Not all the steps they took were bad (C++ was a much better language before multiple inheritence), but there's nothing special about it either. Other than the buzzword "embedded." Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Memfault Beyond the Launch