5V to 3.3V UART conversion

Started by omal...@gmail.com February 22, 2006
Hey,

I am trying to link the 5V serial port on my ADuC831 (8051) to the 3.3V

serial port on my Analog Devices DSP board.  Transmission is one way
only  (5V -> 3.3V).  I have no idea what to do to drop the voltage.

I read somewhere that it should simply be a case of adding a series
resistor, the value of which could be calculated by finding out the max

current from the data sheets of both boards.  However I haven't been
able to find any current values on the data sheets.

Should I use a resistor, transistor, a diode maybe??

Greatful for all suggestions!

Thanks

Ronan

MAX3390

<omalley.ronan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, > > I am trying to link the 5V serial port on my ADuC831 (8051) to the 3.3V > > serial port on my Analog Devices DSP board. Transmission is one way > only (5V -> 3.3V). I have no idea what to do to drop the voltage. > > > I read somewhere that it should simply be a case of adding a series > resistor, the value of which could be calculated by finding out the max > > current from the data sheets of both boards. However I haven't been > able to find any current values on the data sheets. > > > Should I use a resistor, transistor, a diode maybe?? > > > Greatful for all suggestions! > > > Thanks > > > Ronan >
<omalley.ronan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, > > I am trying to link the 5V serial port on my ADuC831 (8051) to the 3.3V > > serial port on my Analog Devices DSP board. Transmission is one way > only (5V -> 3.3V). I have no idea what to do to drop the voltage. > > > I read somewhere that it should simply be a case of adding a series > resistor, the value of which could be calculated by finding out the max > > current from the data sheets of both boards. However I haven't been > able to find any current values on the data sheets.
This will be unreliable, since the input resistances can vary. Use a series resistor AND a resistor to ground on the 3.3V side. In several designs of mine, I use 12k in series, followed by 18k to ground (assuming CMOS compatible inputs). Otherwise use lower values wih the same ratio. Even 1k2 and 1k8 will work. Works like a charm. Meindert
"Bo" <bo@cephus.com> wrote in message
> MAX3390
Overkill. Meindert
but what happens if there is a spike in the voltage on the 5v side of
the voltage divider? My dsp board cant tolerate anything greater than
3.8V max. is the voltage divider really that reliable?

omalley.ronan@gmail.com wrote:
> but what happens if there is a spike in the voltage on the 5v side of > the voltage divider? My dsp board cant tolerate anything greater than > 3.8V max. is the voltage divider really that reliable? >
If there's a spike on the 5V side that will kill the DSP, it will almost certainly kill the 8051 too. Paul Burke
Hi,

You can use a member of the 74LVCxx familly.

Regards,
Yvan

--

          YBDesign

"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message
de news: hf2pv1hje0eq9h5d0rphebgmqqe3po5086@4ax.com...

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> > Usually the source voltage is not that important if the current is > limited (there is a protection network between the input and Vdd). > Yes, it can be reliable.
I've fallen over by simply using a resistor between a 5V system and a 3.3V system... the small current, combined with the almost zero load on the 3.3V side, was enough to drive the 3.3V up to about 4V- the regulator couldn't sink. No damage done, but the flash on the MSP430 wouldn't program, and red face when I had to add a zener to make it work. Paul Burke
Look for the SN74CBTD Series switches. -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------