RTOS brands

Started by Rick North February 23, 2006
Bo wrote:

> "Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message > news:Bd2dnRXzf4kwsWPenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@web-ster.com... > >>Rick North wrote: >> >> >>>Hi All, >>> >>>I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different >>>suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales >>>pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50 >>>questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their >>>excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the >>>community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to >>>share. >>> >>>Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one >>>and what grade would you give it? >>> >>>My application is a central control FPGA which handles some >>>communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation. >>>Hmmm.... it is a general question. >>> >>>Cheers, >>>/Rick >>> >> >>For just a real-time kernel I would use uCOS/II. It's inexpensive yet >>solid, and it gets the job done. If you need real-time and you want all >>the Unix trimmings consider VxWorks from Wind River. It's _spendy_, and >>the support folks are all snobs, but it the RTOS part is solid and it does >>have all the trimmings. I'd use VxWorks again, but only after considering >>alternatives like Linux and eCos. >> >>-- >> >>Tim Wescott >> > > I'd echo Tim's sentiment, > > Regarding VxWorks vs. Linux--- we found that a commercial real-time Linux > was no cheaper than VxWorks and had no support. VxWorks is not cheap by any > stretch--around $7K per seat. But, the RTOS has been around forever and is > qualified by many US govt agencies (NASA, DoD, et al). I'm utterly > *unimpressed* by their host/build environment and the fact it sits on top of > GNU tools. However, the target OS is good. > > I share your frustrations with the RTOS vendors. My digging convinced me > that you are not going to get any commercial RTOS for less than $5K. Pretty > steep for any small system... > > Paul > > >
uCOS/II. $1200 one-time per-design fee, the last time I looked (which was, admittedly, a long time ago). You get the book with the CD, download the latest upgrades from the website, and go to town. You don't even pay anything until you're done and decide to go into production. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
> Bo wrote: > >> "Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message >> news:Bd2dnRXzf4kwsWPenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@web-ster.com... >> >>>Rick North wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Hi All, >>>> >>>>I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different >>>>suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales >>>>pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50 >>>>questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their >>>>excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the >>>>community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to >>>>share. >>>> >>>>Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one >>>>and what grade would you give it? >>>> >>>>My application is a central control FPGA which handles some >>>>communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation. >>>>Hmmm.... it is a general question. >>>> >>>>Cheers, >>>>/Rick >>>> >>> >>>For just a real-time kernel I would use uCOS/II. It's inexpensive yet >>>solid, and it gets the job done. If you need real-time and you want all >>>the Unix trimmings consider VxWorks from Wind River. It's _spendy_, and >>>the support folks are all snobs, but it the RTOS part is solid and it >>>does have all the trimmings. I'd use VxWorks again, but only after >>>considering alternatives like Linux and eCos. >>> >>>-- >>> >>>Tim Wescott >>> >> >> I'd echo Tim's sentiment, >> >> Regarding VxWorks vs. Linux--- we found that a commercial real-time Linux >> was no cheaper than VxWorks and had no support. VxWorks is not cheap by >> any stretch--around $7K per seat. But, the RTOS has been around forever >> and is qualified by many US govt agencies (NASA, DoD, et al). I'm utterly >> *unimpressed* by their host/build environment and the fact it sits on top >> of GNU tools. However, the target OS is good. >> >> I share your frustrations with the RTOS vendors. My digging convinced me >> that you are not going to get any commercial RTOS for less than $5K. >> Pretty steep for any small system... >> >> Paul >> >> >> > uCOS/II. $1200 one-time per-design fee, the last time I looked (which > was, admittedly, a long time ago). You get the book with the CD, download > the latest upgrades from the website, and go to town. You don't even pay > anything until you're done and decide to go into production. > > -- > > Tim Wescott
Must have been a while back. My quote from them was ~$9K--for bundled package that included TCP/IP drivers, and the other things that are Std with VxWorks.... Perhaps the cost is related to processor and the more popular processors yield cheaper OS's... I don't know. Bo
"Boudewijn Dijkstra" <boudewijn@indes.com> wrote in message
> Op Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:12:38 +0100 schreef Bo <bo@cephus.com>: >> "Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message >> news:Bd2dnRXzf4kwsWPenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@web-ster.com... >>> Rick North wrote: >>> >>>> Hi All, >>>> >>>> I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different >>>> suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales >>>> pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50 >>>> questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their >>>> excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the >>>> community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to >>>> share. >>>> >>>> Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one >>>> and what grade would you give it? >>>> >>>> My application is a central control FPGA which handles some >>>> communication via RocketIO and some data recording and calculation. >>>> Hmmm.... it is a general question. >>>> >>>> Cheers, >>>> /Rick >>>> >>> For just a real-time kernel I would use uCOS/II. It's inexpensive yet >>> solid, and it gets the job done. If you need real-time and you want all >>> the Unix trimmings consider VxWorks from Wind River. It's _spendy_, and >>> the support folks are all snobs, but it the RTOS part is solid and it >>> does >>> have all the trimmings. I'd use VxWorks again, but only after >>> considering >>> alternatives like Linux and eCos. >>> >>> >> I'd echo Tim's sentiment, >> >> Regarding VxWorks vs. Linux--- we found that a commercial real-time Linux >> was no cheaper than VxWorks and had no support. VxWorks is not cheap by >> any >> stretch--around $7K per seat. But, the RTOS has been around forever and >> is >> qualified by many US govt agencies (NASA, DoD, et al). I'm utterly >> *unimpressed* by their host/build environment and the fact it sits on >> top of >> GNU tools. However, the target OS is good. > > I would say 'acceptable'. The API might function, but AFAIK memory > management and IPC are not crash-friendly. > >> I share your frustrations with the RTOS vendors. My digging convinced me >> that you are not going to get any commercial RTOS for less than $5K. >> Pretty steep for any small system... > > Then you didn't dig deep enough. Or some people tried to rob you. Have > you looked at Sciopta? >
Never heard of them. Will check it out... Thanx, Bo
Several years. Sigh. It appears that they've gone over to the dark side. How's eCos these days? -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Look at RTEMS at www.rtems.com. It supports 14 different CPU families currently, including: * powerpc - IBM and Motorola PowerPC 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 74xx, and 75xx It is free, open-source software. ~Dave~
On 2006-02-24, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:

> How's eCos these days?
It's still working fine for me... -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I wish I was a at sex-starved manicurist visi.com found dead in the Bronx!!
Great replies, Thank you all for sharing.

I like the Pete Fenelon msg about true hard RTOS and looked around more
and found one in Sweden. Sierra by Realfast,
http://www.realfast.se/RFIPP/products/sierra/sierra.shtml

I surely will have a closer look at uCos and QNX.

Again, Thank you all it was my first post in this newsgroup and I think
I will monitor it more closely

Cheers,
Rick

Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:04:54 -0800, Rick North wrote: > >> I have tried to get some information about RTOS from different >> suppliers, but I find it hard to cut trough the marketing and sales >> pitch persons. Before you can get any answers, you have to answer 50 >> questions to get any info at all and then they want to demo their >> excellent RTOS. Taking more of your time. So I thought I might ask the >> community if they have any real life experiences and 'gotchas' to >> share. >> >> Have anybody used the PPC405 inside a Virtex-4 with a RTOS? Which one >> and what grade would you give it? > > Look at RTEMS at www.rtems.com. It supports 14 different CPU families > currently, including: > > * powerpc - IBM and Motorola PowerPC 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, > 74xx, and 75xx > > It is free, open-source software.
With commercial support if you require! The free community support is better than anything I have ever got as a result of paying for it! Paul

Did you go to my employers web-site : www.sciopta.com ? Check out the PDFs found there and if it is not enough info drop me an email bastian.schick@<company>.com But be aware: It is direct-message-passing, no global variables and _no_ semaphores :-) but with 6 system-calls you can build 80% of your application ! -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
What ?? :-) *hmpf* check out www.sciopta.com -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !