Software Real-Time Clock on HC12

Started by Christian Winter March 2, 2006
Hi!

I am trying to implement a software real-time clock on the HC12 using
the timer module. I am pretty much unable to do it at this point and
was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction --
perhaps even coded examples that could serve as a way to better
understand it. I need to keep track of a 24 hour day, no need for any
actual dates. I can code using either assembler or C++. The clock
should run independently so other code can be inserted without effort.

Thanks for all and any help!

Christian

"Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi! > > I am trying to implement a software real-time clock on the HC12 using > the timer module. I am pretty much unable to do it at this point and > was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction -- > perhaps even coded examples that could serve as a way to better > understand it. I need to keep track of a 24 hour day, no need for any > actual dates. I can code using either assembler or C++. The clock > should run independently so other code can be inserted without effort.
I suggest you setup a heartbeat interrupt - say 5ms or 1ms, depending on the granularity you need - and do the time maintenance therein. Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
if (RTC_tick>= XX ){
   	  	seconds++;
		RTC_tick = 0;

  	    if (seconds>=60){
   	  		minutes++;
			seconds = 0;
   	  	}
	  	if (minutes>=60){
   	  		hours++;
			minutes = 0;
   	  	}
	  	if (hours>=24){
   	  		days++;
			hours = 0;
		}
}

You have to define XX based on the heatbeat time you setup.
Eric

With "heartbeat" do you mean using the real-time interrupts? If so, it
would be best if I could set it up such that it is called every second
to increment the clock.

I also found someone suggesting to use the pulse-width modulator, but I
am unsure as to how to do that.

Getting out the HC12 data sheet again...

> With "heartbeat" do you mean using the real-time interrupts?
I mean use one of the timers to generate a regular interrupt.
> If so, it > would be best if I could set it up such that it is called every second > to increment the clock.
If your only realtime requirement is updating the clock, then sure. But one often needs to have finer time control than 1s.
> I also found someone suggesting to use the pulse-width modulator, but I > am unsure as to how to do that.
Errrr.... PWM is not directly appropriate. However the timer may well be a potential interrupt source.
Good plan ;). Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
"Steve at fivetrees" <steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> writes:
> "Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote > > > With "heartbeat" do you mean using the real-time interrupts? > > I mean use one of the timers to generate a regular interrupt. > > > If so, it > > would be best if I could set it up such that it is called every second > > to increment the clock. > > If your only realtime requirement is updating the clock, then sure. But one > often needs to have finer time control than 1s. > > > I also found someone suggesting to use the pulse-width modulator, but I > > am unsure as to how to do that. > > Errrr.... PWM is not directly appropriate. However the timer may well be a > potential interrupt source. > > > Getting out the HC12 data sheet again... > > Good plan ;).
Looking at the data manual finds the Clock Generation Module, Realtime Interrupt. Interrupts occur at one of eight program-selectable rates in binary fractions of oscillator frequency. Use a power-of-two oscillator and you can get exact time-of-day; otherwise, throw in a fudge factor from time to time.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference