Capture 10 sec with 25 MSamples/s (4 - 8 Bits)... how to do ?

Started by Martin Maurer March 18, 2006
Maybe he is a dog ;-) A dog year is much shorter... -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Martin Maurer wrote: > > Hello, > > > > i am in the need to capture around 10 seconds (ok, 5 to 8 seconds > > would also be enough) with 25 MSamples / s. Each sample should be 4 > > to 8 digital lines. It would be nice if i can use an external clock. > > > > But how to do this ? The amount of data for 10s * 25 MSamples / s * 1 > > Byte = 250 MByte. So it is not a small amount !?! > > > > So at the moment i have 3 ideas to solve this: > > > > The question is if you want to build a one off, or if you are going to do > multiple chips. > > If it is a one off, then you may be able to adopt the Gigatrace function > of a Green Hills or Lauterbach Probe. > They have 1 GB of DRAM. > It will cost you, but maybe developing something will cost as well. > > Spartan-3 Memory Interface Board (HW-S3-SL361) is a Xilinx Development > Board @ $995. > containing 64 MB DDR SDRAM and it looks like you can add another 128 MB.
Alternatively, you can use the $150 Xilinx starter kit with 1M SRAM buffer. You can fill several parallel flash chips or modules from the buffer. Newer compact flash can sustain 5 to 10MB/s. 3 to 5 parallel units should be enough for you. You don't even need to build a PCB, One of our customer just wire-wrap some .1" connectors from the starter kit to standard IDE cables. That way, they can test multiple CFs at the same time. Those multi-G CFs takes a long time to test.
Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:
> Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote: > > rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote: > >>> rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>>> to a RAID drive. This was pretty good for 10 years ago in a > >>>> standard PC running Windows2K. > > > >>> You've thus admitted to secretly owning a time machine. Or how > >>> else would you have had access to Win2K 10 years ago?
> Maybe he is a dog ;-) > A dog year is much shorter...
Unlikely, because of contradiction to the well-known fact that "On USENET, nobody knows you're a dog." So, if Rickman were a dog, and we knew that, then he could not be on USENET. His postings are evidence to the contrary. So he can't be a dog. ;-> [Any possible resemblance between this argument and the famous disproof of God's existence by example of the Bablefish is most definitely not a coincidence.] -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:
> Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote: > > Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote: > > > rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote: > > >> Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote: > > >>> rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote: > > >>>> to a RAID drive. This was pretty good for 10 years ago in a > > >>>> standard PC running Windows2K. > > > > > >>> You've thus admitted to secretly owning a time machine. Or how > > >>> else would you have had access to Win2K 10 years ago? > > > Maybe he is a dog ;-) > > A dog year is much shorter... > > Unlikely, because of contradiction to the well-known fact that "On > USENET, nobody knows you're a dog." So, if Rickman were a dog, and we > knew that, then he could not be on USENET. His postings are evidence > to the contrary. So he can't be a dog. ;-> > > [Any possible resemblance between this argument and the famous > disproof of God's existence by example of the Bablefish is most > definitely not a coincidence.]
Woof!

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference