ARM dev board

Started by Unknown April 1, 2006
Hi fellows,

I need to learn the ARM MCPU (any core that can help), so I am looking
to buy a development board with ARM MCPU with at least the basic stuffs
(LEDs, SW, LCD ect...) do you know where i can buy one?

Thanks to any one how at least toke time to read this posting

Thomas.

thomas.b36@gmail.com wrote:

> I need to learn the ARM MCPU (any core that can help), so I am looking > to buy a development board with ARM MCPU with at least the basic stuffs > (LEDs, SW, LCD ect...) do you know where i can buy one?
An LCD doesn't usually qualify as "basic stuff"... If you're looking for a low-cost EVB and it's really the ARM /core/ you want to learn, look at Olimex's range of products. You can easily attach a character LCD to one of these.
In article <1143950286.423666.297640@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
thomas.b36@gmail.com writes
>Hi fellows, > >I need to learn the ARM MCPU (any core that can help), so I am looking >to buy a development board with ARM MCPU with at least the basic stuffs >(LEDs, SW, LCD ect...) do you know where i can buy one? >
Try Maplin RS Farnel Arrow Hero BTW an LCD is not "basic" but if you want and LCd go for a Sharp board. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Lot of different arm chips out there. As someone else mentioned the olimex boards using Philips lpc21xx arm7 chips are quite cheap. Easiest way to buy the olimex boards to buy is from www.sparkfun.com The lpc2138 terminal boards are pretty good (used a few myself) http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=259 http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=2_25 www.futurlec.com has an lpc2119 based board for US$48 + US$12 for lcd Need to get both the base board and arm stamp module http://www.futurlec.com/ET-ARM_Stamp_Board.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/ET-ARM_Stamp.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/DevBoardAccessories.shtml for lcd For a tutorial look for Jim Lynch's eclipse and arm gcc tutorial Alex
On 1 Apr 2006 19:58:06 -0800, thomas.b36@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi fellows, > >I need to learn the ARM MCPU (any core that can help), so I am looking >to buy a development board with ARM MCPU with at least the basic stuffs >(LEDs, SW, LCD ect...) do you know where i can buy one? >
In addition to the others already listed, there's the MicroBolt (with a Philips LPC2106) and the dev board from Micromint: http://www.micromint.com/promo/index.htm#bolt AFAIK, the sale price for the Microbolt module + dev board is still on. Info at http://www.micromint.com/datasheets/MicroBolt.pdf There are headers (a 2x7 and a 1x14) for conventional character LCD displays, the usual switches and LEDs, an SPI ADC, a couple of serial level shifters (232 and 232/485), and prototyping area. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Hi all,

Thank every body. I still have one question for you: as I browsed all
these sites that you've suggested I got lost. These is many cores
(MCU's: LPC2000 to LPC2294) for the ARM, which one should I consider?.
Like I have mensionned before I am new to ARM MCU and would like to
lear this technology and get use to it : architecture & programming.

Thank you so much again.

Thomas.

In article <1144274168.319005.287470@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
thomas.b36@gmail.com says...
> Hi all, > > Thank every body. I still have one question for you: as I browsed all > these sites that you've suggested I got lost. These is many cores > (MCU's: LPC2000 to LPC2294) for the ARM, which one should I consider?. > Like I have mensionned before I am new to ARM MCU and would like to > lear this technology and get use to it : architecture & programming. > > Thank you so much again. > > Thomas.
In the Philips (LPC2xxx) family, you need to decide 1) how much memory you need 2) what peripherals you need. The LPC21xx all operate from internal flash and RAM. There is no external memory bus; practically all of the pins are provided as I/O and/or peripheral connections (counter/timers, UARTs, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc.) The LPC22xx parts have the External Bus Interface (EBI) which allows them to access external memory (either flash or RAM) in 8-, 16-, or 32- bit widths). All but the smallest LPC22xx also have internal flash. Both the 21xx and 22xx are ARM7 cores. Philips also recently announced the LPC3180, an ARM9 core: If you look at the LPC product selector at: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/products/microcontrollers/32bit/in dex.html ..you will see how the LPC2xxx parts compare. After you select a part, find a reasonably priced development board that has it. --Gene
thomas.b36@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all, > > Thank every body. I still have one question for you: as I browsed all > these sites that you've suggested I got lost. These is many cores > (MCU's: LPC2000 to LPC2294) for the ARM, which one should I consider?. > Like I have mensionned before I am new to ARM MCU and would like to > lear this technology and get use to it : architecture & programming.
I think the board they you may want to get is the Embedded Artists Educational Board. See "http://world-educational-services.biz/view_item.php?id=55&" It's a good deal at $105. I bought one recently. I wish that there was a board that used a USB interface for programming, rather than serial, but it's not such a big deal. The ARM instructions set is fixed, it's what's bundled around the core that changes.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference