custom software for mobile phones

Started by Unknown April 2, 2006
Hi all,

I'm an experienced embedded software developer but know very little
about mobile phones and am hoping someone out there might be able give
me a quick answer and/or point me in the right direction to some online
resources and save me a lot of web fumbling.

Came up with a product idea over beers with some workmates the other
day that technically would require customisation of a mobile phones
UI/user functionality.  The thing is that the business model would
dictate that the product would probably have to be based on low end
cheap-and-cheerful phones rather than all singing and dancing
symbian/wince/java enabled/etc.etc smartphones.

So what I want to know is how realistic is it for a small backyard
operation to customise S/W for a low end phone?

Thanks

Richard.

richardlang@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi all, > > I'm an experienced embedded software developer but know very little > about mobile phones and am hoping someone out there might be able give > me a quick answer and/or point me in the right direction to some online > resources and save me a lot of web fumbling. > > Came up with a product idea over beers with some workmates the other > day that technically would require customisation of a mobile phones > UI/user functionality. The thing is that the business model would > dictate that the product would probably have to be based on low end > cheap-and-cheerful phones rather than all singing and dancing > symbian/wince/java enabled/etc.etc smartphones. > > So what I want to know is how realistic is it for a small backyard > operation to customise S/W for a low end phone?
You might be better off using something like the Siemens MC55 GSM module. You can interface it to any MCU and do your own thing with it. They cost 68 GBP in the UK, from TDC. I'm using them with a GPS module for a vehicle tracking system I'm designing for a client. Leon
<richardlang@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > I'm an experienced embedded software developer but know very little > about mobile phones and am hoping someone out there might be able give > me a quick answer and/or point me in the right direction to some online > resources and save me a lot of web fumbling. > > Came up with a product idea over beers with some workmates the other > day that technically would require customisation of a mobile phones > UI/user functionality. The thing is that the business model would > dictate that the product would probably have to be based on low end > cheap-and-cheerful phones rather than all singing and dancing > symbian/wince/java enabled/etc.etc smartphones. > > So what I want to know is how realistic is it for a small backyard > operation to customise S/W for a low end phone?
UI's for mobiles are already customised by the manufactures as each of the networks requires its own thing or it won't buy that phone. This customisation is now probably the largest single function that a handset manufacturer does as most of the rest is integrating bought in components that can be done with a few dozen people per function. When it comes to network customisation, some manufactures might have 2-300 people working on configuring their phones for the various networks (some might say this number is excessive because they haven't optimised their interface for this task, I couldn't possibly say). So I would say, no this isn't something that a small company could do. tim

Here's an open source project for a mobile phone. I don't know what stage they're at because I can't read the web page. http://www.surjpatel.com/?q=node/41 D**m small fonts...<grumble> Try googling for "open-source mobile phone". There's quite a few hits.
In message <tqf4329ddu783fmbjkqa78jfu9cmrlcu4g@4ax.com>, dmm
>Here's an open source project for a mobile phone. I don't know >what stage they're at because I can't read the web page. >http://www.surjpatel.com/?q=node/41 > >D**m small fonts...<grumble>
Using IE? Hold CTRL and scroll the font size up or down with the scroll wheel on your mouse...
> >Try googling for "open-source mobile phone". There's quite a few hits. >
-- Clint Sharp
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:01:37 +0100, Clint Sharp <clint@clintsmc.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <tqf4329ddu783fmbjkqa78jfu9cmrlcu4g@4ax.com>, dmm >>Here's an open source project for a mobile phone. I don't know >>what stage they're at because I can't read the web page. >>http://www.surjpatel.com/?q=node/41 >> >>D**m small fonts...<grumble> >Using IE? Hold CTRL and scroll the font size up or down with the scroll >wheel on your mouse...
Wow, thanks for that tip Clint.