micrcontrollers with FPUs?

Started by Mike Noone April 17, 2006
Hi - I was wondering, what microcontrollers are there out there that have
FPUs? I'm working with a board that uses an Atmel AT91SAM7X256 (Atmel ARM
uC with ARM7TDMI core), and it is perfect except for the lack of a FPU and
maybe the max speed of 55Mhz.

So what is available as a replacement? Ideally I'd like to see this:

32b FPU
SPI (at least one)
UART (at least two)
TWI
CAN
timers
plenty of GPIOs
available in non-BGA package
fast (100+Mhz)

Does such a beast exist? Thanks!

-Mike
Mike Noone wrote:
> Hi - I was wondering, what microcontrollers are there out there that have > FPUs? I'm working with a board that uses an Atmel AT91SAM7X256 (Atmel ARM
You say FPU, I think PowerPC... as long as the "no BGA" thing is not a hard requirement.
Mike Noone wrote:
> Hi - I was wondering, what microcontrollers are there out there that have > FPUs? I'm working with a board that uses an Atmel AT91SAM7X256 (Atmel ARM > uC with ARM7TDMI core), and it is perfect except for the lack of a FPU and > maybe the max speed of 55Mhz. > > So what is available as a replacement? Ideally I'd like to see this: > > 32b FPU > SPI (at least one) > UART (at least two) > TWI > CAN > timers > plenty of GPIOs > available in non-BGA package > fast (100+Mhz) > > Does such a beast exist? Thanks! > > -Mike
Is there a reason why you choose not to use fixed point? -Isaac
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in

> > Mike Noone wrote: >> Hi - I was wondering, what microcontrollers are there out there that >> have FPUs? I'm working with a board that uses an Atmel AT91SAM7X256 >> (Atmel ARM > > You say FPU, I think PowerPC... as long as the "no BGA" thing is not a > hard requirement. >
It very much is. I don't have the equipment to do BGA, thus BGA is a real deal killer. Actually, I may have proper equipment. I'm going to be running some tests later this week to confirm this. But for now I really need to keep the design to non-BGA. -Mike
not exactly, but take a look at

MPC5554, MPC555, LPC3180, V850E/CG2TM

I believe a typical FPU is the size of the core (for ARM anyway) so the
increase in size is too much of a negative to just include them in your
typical jelly bean micro

"Isaac Bosompem" <x86asm@gmail.com> wrote in

> Is there a reason why you choose not to use fixed point? > > -Isaac
I could deal with fixed point. All of the floating point stuff I'm doing is for navigation. So it has alot to do with calculating GPS coordinates, distances between coordinates, headings, and lots of trig. But C doesn't have built in support for fixed point. Is there some way to get around this limitation of C that I am not familiar with? -Mike
you can do fixed point math with just integers in C, but all fixed
point math is tedious,  if a lot of the work you are doing is
experimental, where the equations need to be changed frequently, it
will be a major headache, however, on the other hand, if you are using
canned fixed point algorithms that were optimized since the stone age,
it's not a big problem. Software floating point emulation is another
solution, but at a 100x hit in performance.

Mike Noone wrote:
> "Isaac Bosompem" <x86asm@gmail.com> wrote in > news:1145305529.211300.57090@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com: > > > Is there a reason why you choose not to use fixed point? > > > > -Isaac > > I could deal with fixed point. All of the floating point stuff I'm doing is > for navigation. So it has alot to do with calculating GPS coordinates, > distances between coordinates, headings, and lots of trig. But C doesn't > have built in support for fixed point. Is there some way to get around this > limitation of C that I am not familiar with? > > -Mike
Nah, I don't think so unless there is a 3rd party library I am unaware of. To evaluate trig functions in fixed point you would probably need use Taylor series which could become time consuming. I would assume for GPS these calculations need to be fast? Then forget I asked about fixed point :). -Isaac
"Mike Noone" <mnoone.uiuc.edu@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> "Isaac Bosompem" <x86asm@gmail.com> wrote in > news:1145305529.211300.57090@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com: > > > Is there a reason why you choose not to use fixed point? > > > > -Isaac > > I could deal with fixed point. All of the floating point stuff I'm doing
is
> for navigation. So it has alot to do with calculating GPS coordinates, > distances between coordinates, headings, and lots of trig. But C doesn't > have built in support for fixed point. Is there some way to get around
this
> limitation of C that I am not familiar with? > > -Mike
Just write your own integer versions of the math routines you need. It sounds hard, but it really isn't. OTOH, if squeezing the last few dollars out of a product cost is not the point of the project (I see you have an edu email address) and software emulation is too slow, then go ahead and buy a bigger hammer ;-) Bob
"steve" <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1145308633.363403.295230
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> not exactly, but take a look at > > MPC5554, MPC555, LPC3180, V850E/CG2TM > > I believe a typical FPU is the size of the core (for ARM anyway) so the > increase in size is too much of a negative to just include them in your > typical jelly bean micro >
All BGA though. Surely there are some special purpose uCs with FPUs? -Mike

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference