Which MCU has these features?

Started by Ghazan Haider November 11, 2004
The linux-tiny project has reduced the linux kernel down to ~300kb,
able to run in 2MB of RAM. With uclibc and busyboy, I can have a
running system in under 2MB of flash.

So I started looking for ARM MCUs, a few have 2MB flash onboard, one
from atmel has 2MB SRAM onboard, but I couldnt find any that has both.
ARMs no limitation, but it shouldnt be as inefficient as x86 with
power, and should have at least 2MB (S)RAM and 2MB flash onboard. I
know its not a stretch to add a 2MB or even 16MB (S/SD)RAM chip to it,
but it would be an accomplishment to run this OS on one chip.

Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both
2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard?
Ghazan Haider said
This isn't any of the micros you named, but take a look anyway: http://developer.axis.com/products/mcm/etrax_mcm_4+16_low.pdf I'm not connected with the company and I've never used it - just looks like an interesting option. Casey
Ghazan Haider wrote:
> The linux-tiny project has reduced the linux kernel down to ~300kb, > able to run in 2MB of RAM. With uclibc and busyboy, I can have a > running system in under 2MB of flash. > > So I started looking for ARM MCUs, a few have 2MB flash onboard, one > from atmel has 2MB SRAM onboard, but I couldnt find any that has both. > ARMs no limitation, but it shouldnt be as inefficient as x86 with > power, and should have at least 2MB (S)RAM and 2MB flash onboard. I > know its not a stretch to add a 2MB or even 16MB (S/SD)RAM chip to it, > but it would be an accomplishment to run this OS on one chip. > > Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both > 2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard?
Look at Intel's XScale variants, they have stacked die solutions that have more than you ask for. TI was talking about a similar thing and may have that in their OMAP line. -jg
Ghazan Haider <ghazan.haider@gmail.com> wrote:
: The linux-tiny project has reduced the linux kernel down to ~300kb,
: able to run in 2MB of RAM. With uclibc and busyboy, I can have a
: running system in under 2MB of flash.

[SNIP]

: Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both
: 2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard?

Only as an "Multi Chip Module (MCM)" in the form factor of a BGA:

  http://developer.axis.com/products/mcm/

But then again, Axis has already ported Linux onto this module and
they are shipping products (I.e. Networked cameras) with it...

--
  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS@INVALID.and.so.forth
"Ghazan Haider" <ghazan.haider@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> The linux-tiny project has reduced the linux kernel down to ~300kb, > able to run in 2MB of RAM. With uclibc and busyboy, I can have a > running system in under 2MB of flash. > > So I started looking for ARM MCUs, a few have 2MB flash onboard, one > from atmel has 2MB SRAM onboard, but I couldnt find any that has both. > ARMs no limitation, but it shouldnt be as inefficient as x86 with > power, and should have at least 2MB (S)RAM and 2MB flash onboard. I > know its not a stretch to add a 2MB or even 16MB (S/SD)RAM chip to it, > but it would be an accomplishment to run this OS on one chip. > > Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both > 2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard?
I think the Axis ETRAX chip has a MMU and Full Linux support, but it is not ARM based. It is a proprietary architecture, and has the Linux already well supported, so there is probably not much point in this. I have been thinking about an 8051 pinout for the AT91FR40162 which has 256 kB of SRAM (not 2MB) and 2 mB of Flash. By building a 40 pin DIP with the AT91FR40162 and a 2 MB PSRAM you should be able to get a "single chipper". Does it matter if you have a module, over something in a single package? -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
> I think the Axis ETRAX chip has a MMU and Full Linux support, but it is not > ARM based. > It is a proprietary architecture, and has the Linux already well supported, > so there is > probably not much point in this. > I have been thinking about an 8051 pinout for the AT91FR40162 which has > 256 kB of SRAM (not 2MB) and 2 mB of Flash. > By building a 40 pin DIP with the AT91FR40162 and a 2 MB PSRAM > you should be able to get a "single chipper". > > Does it matter if you have a module, over something in a single package?
I've been aiming for low-cost and low-power. If the cost and power are low enough its acceptable (given of course no glue-logic required). I'd also underclock the system for lower power. The intention is to run the system on solar power like larger calculators. I should've also mentioned an LCD interface is preferred, although I could with enough IO pins implement that, so there should be a minimum of 8 pins for the LCD. DIP, BGP, all acceptable, and in fact a smaller size will also be preferrable, but with all these aside, is there any MCU that runs either linux or netbsd with 2MB R/2MB F ?

> > I think the Axis ETRAX chip has a MMU and Full Linux support, but it is
not
> > ARM based. > > It is a proprietary architecture, and has the Linux already well
supported,
> > so there is > > probably not much point in this. > > I have been thinking about an 8051 pinout for the AT91FR40162 which has > > 256 kB of SRAM (not 2MB) and 2 mB of Flash. > > By building a 40 pin DIP with the AT91FR40162 and a 2 MB PSRAM > > you should be able to get a "single chipper". > > > > Does it matter if you have a module, over something in a single package? > > I've been aiming for low-cost and low-power. If the cost and power are > low enough its acceptable (given of course no glue-logic required). > I'd also underclock the system for lower power. The intention is to > run the system on solar power like larger calculators. > > I should've also mentioned an LCD interface is preferred, although I > could with enough IO pins implement that, so there should be a minimum > of 8 pins for the LCD. > > DIP, BGP, all acceptable, and in fact a smaller size will also be > preferrable, but with all these aside, is there any MCU that runs > either linux or netbsd with 2MB R/2MB F ?
I doubt that you find anything except the Etrax. You dont save any power by using a multichip module. Think you should be asking what chips can run at 1.8V instead. Voltage is more importants than most other things. You can get 2 MB FLash + 2 MB RAM in a package without the micro. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
> Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both > 2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard?
Not on a single die. A micro core like ARM, MIPS, etc requires several metal layers on top of the chip (interconnects) due to its complexity. A flash or RAM array is a flat 2D array of cells which does not require the extra metal layers. When you put both memory and CPU on a single die, you save on bonding and packaging costs. But on the other hand the memory section of the die is much more costly (in dollars per mm2) than it would be if manufactured separately, because it had to go through those extra process steps even though they weren't laying anything down in those areas. As the size of the memory area grows, a break-even point is approached. I'm told that the break-even point is between 512K and 1M. So it is not cost-effective (external chip vs. on-die memory) to make large memories on the same die as the processor. Once you cross-the break-even point mentioned above, the only options are stacked modules or side-by-side hybrids. These devices are undesirable due to poor vibration resistance and EMI issues.
In article <608b6569.0411132300.38a73e0@posting.google.com> larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote:
> >> Is there a dragonball, ppc, mips or sh3-based chip out there with both >> 2MB RAM and 2MB flash onboard? > >Not on a single die. A micro core like ARM, MIPS, etc requires several >metal layers on top of the chip (interconnects) due to its complexity. >A flash or RAM array is a flat 2D array of cells which does not >require the extra metal layers. When you put both memory and CPU on a >single die, you save on bonding and packaging costs. But on the other >hand the memory section of the die is much more costly (in dollars per >mm2) than it would be if manufactured separately, because it had to go >through those extra process steps even though they weren't laying >anything down in those areas. As the size of the memory area grows, a >break-even point is approached. I'm told that the break-even point is >between 512K and 1M.
How long have you wondered if you were told that the break even point is between 512k and 1m?
>So it is not c
A poor beauty finds more lovers than husbands. -- Lady Chatterly "A turing test is not infallible....." -- The Poster With The Longest Name On A Public Newsgroup (not including fish, meat, and other frozen foods)
> Not on a single die. A micro core like ARM, MIPS, etc requires several > metal layers on top of the chip (interconnects) due to its complexity. > A flash or RAM array is a flat 2D array of cells which does not > require the extra metal layers. When you put both memory and CPU on a > single die, you save on bonding and packaging costs. But on the other > hand the memory section of the die is much more costly (in dollars per > mm2) than it would be if manufactured separately, because it had to go > through those extra process steps even though they weren't laying > anything down in those areas. As the size of the memory area grows, a > break-even point is approached. I'm told that the break-even point is > between 512K and 1M. > > So it is not cost-effective (external chip vs. on-die memory) to make > large memories on the same die as the processor. Once you cross-the > break-even point mentioned above, the only options are stacked modules > or side-by-side hybrids. These devices are undesirable due to poor > vibration resistance and EMI issues.
Not so much worried about cost as power. I'm hoping more for 90nm process-ARMs, and the reduced power with the ram and flash onboard. Space isnt an issue either. Your comments however made this issue very clear to me. Thanks.