using a LED as a light sensor

Started by BrunoG May 6, 2006
hum..

I am doing exactly this with an FPGA
but I only see about 0.2% timing difference between dark and light

with some other methods the difference is about 10%
Antti

On 7 May 2006 23:37:15 -0700, the renowned "Antti"
<Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> wrote:

>hum.. > >I am doing exactly this with an FPGA >but I only see about 0.2% timing difference between dark and light > >with some other methods the difference is about 10% >Antti
Maybe there's an internal pull-up or pull-down you need to turn off. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
well I specially turned it ON not off

Antti

"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message
> On 7 May 2006 23:37:15 -0700, the renowned "Antti" > <Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> wrote: > > >hum.. > > > >I am doing exactly this with an FPGA > >but I only see about 0.2% timing difference between dark and light > > > >with some other methods the difference is about 10% > >Antti > > Maybe there's an internal pull-up or pull-down you need to turn off.
I'm a bit surprised that LED's are sensitive enough to use a simple input port discharge approach. Microcontroller ports typically spec input leakage in th 1 uA to 10 uA range without pullups. OK, that's over the temperature range. But we are not trying to make a temperature sensor but a light sensor. 1 uA of photocurrent is a lot of current - about 5 x the saturation level of the systems I use with 5x5 mm photodiodes. so, yes, I would surprised if the timing change from dark to light was very great - and swamped by the change with temperature. Peter
well I was able to make a iopad oscillator that had frequency change
10% based on light intensity, and even that was possible bad solution,
eg the change could be even larger.

but getting stable absolute reading is probably more difficult or
impossible due to temperature, effects, etc

Antti

On 8 May 2006 04:00:56 -0700, the renowned "Antti"
<Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> wrote:

>well I specially turned it ON not off > >Antti
There's your problem. The photodiode current is negligible compared to the pullup. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Mon, 08 May 2006 11:02:36 GMT, the renowned "Peter Dickerson"
<first{dot}surname@tesco.net> wrote:

>"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message >news:619u52tt1vjveq72agp691mm9d86ustcak@4ax.com... >> On 7 May 2006 23:37:15 -0700, the renowned "Antti" >> <Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> wrote: >> >> >hum.. >> > >> >I am doing exactly this with an FPGA >> >but I only see about 0.2% timing difference between dark and light >> > >> >with some other methods the difference is about 10% >> >Antti >> >> Maybe there's an internal pull-up or pull-down you need to turn off. > >I'm a bit surprised that LED's are sensitive enough to use a simple input >port discharge approach. Microcontroller ports typically spec input leakage >in th 1 uA to 10 uA range without pullups. OK, that's over the temperature >range.
Typically something like 1nA at room temperature, and say doubling every 10&#4294967295;C.
>But we are not trying to make a temperature sensor but a light >sensor. 1 uA of photocurrent is a lot of current - about 5 x the saturation >level of the systems I use with 5x5 mm photodiodes. so, yes, I would >surprised if the timing change from dark to light was very great - and >swamped by the change with temperature. > >Peter
Yes, that was my WAG that it might be close even under typical figures. With a discrete 5mm SR led I measure about 4nA of photodiode current under normal room illumination with 5V reverse bias. A large-die green 0.56" LED display (decimal point) gives only about half of that current. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
In comp.arch.embedded Don Klipstein <don@manx.misty.com> wrote:

> Although I have found the small area to be a big consideration, I have > also found some to be better at converting sunlight received by that area > into electrical power than same area of monocrystalline solar cell.
Well, that figures. A LED may have a very small active silicon area. But it's contained in a housing optically designed for the express purpose of getting as much light from that very small area out into the world. Since light paths generally work equally well in both directions, that implies that the same housing is also quite good at *collecting* light from the world onto that tiny area where the LED is sensitive to light. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
John Larkin wrote:
> For a more serious challenge, use the live 7-seg display itself as the > ambient light sensor. No ADC allowed. For advanced credit, no extra > parts allowed at all, just firmware.
Time to call on the Keebler Elf Konsulting Kompany, huh?
BrunoG wrote:
> Hi, > > Here is an idea about using a LED as a light sensor, to dim a 7-segments LED > display :
Reminds me when I needed a light sensor on the spur of the moment. I took a pair of dykes and peeled off the metal can of a transistor and used that.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference