how to design a dual port ethernet?

Started by zhangjian May 12, 2006
I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using at91rm9200,which
Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the Ethernet chip using
at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s

"zhangjian" <zjyr8182@163.com> wrote in message
>I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using at91rm9200,which > Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the Ethernet chip using > at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s > >
Integrate an ethernet switch with the number of ethernet interfaces required. You can get these from, for example, Micrel, Marvell etc.
zhangjian wrote:
> I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using > at91rm9200,which Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the > Ethernet chip using at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s
You can look at the AT912SAM9261-EK schematics which has an external DM9000E Ethernet controller. If you just want to forward most packets coming in on one port to the other without any processing/filtering then a 3 port switch from Micrel would probably do the job -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Sat, 13 May 2006 09:12:32 +0200, "Ulf Samuelsson"
<ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

>zhangjian wrote: >> I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using >> at91rm9200,which Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the >> Ethernet chip using at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s > >You can look at the AT912SAM9261-EK schematics which has an >external DM9000E Ethernet controller. >If you just want to forward most packets coming in on one port >to the other without any processing/filtering then a 3 port switch >from Micrel would probably do the job
How about if I want to bring packets in one interface, process them, and send them out the other interface? Thanks, Tom
t porter wrote:
>>zhangjian wrote: >>>I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using >>>at91rm9200,which Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the >>>Ethernet chip using at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s > > How about if I want to bring packets in one interface, process them, > and send them out the other interface?
Maybe I'm missing something here, but... * Two Ethernet controllers on a shared bus * One extra MCU pin to address them uniquely * Read from one, flip the address line, write to the other Asix AX88796L, Davicom DM9000, SMSC 91C111, and Micrel KSZ8841 would be suited for the job - they're the only 10/100 non-PCI controllers on the market. Micrel offers a 2-port version with an integrated switch; you might be able to set this up to manipulate traffic between the ports. Cheers, Richard
The ADMtech/Infineon ADM5120 has 4 Switched Ports and an Upstream Port. Edimax uses this chip in quite some products and there are also Linux ports available. -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
t porter wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2006 09:12:32 +0200, "Ulf Samuelsson" > <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote: > >> zhangjian wrote: >>> I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using >>> at91rm9200,which Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the >>> Ethernet chip using at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s >> >> You can look at the AT912SAM9261-EK schematics which has an >> external DM9000E Ethernet controller. >> If you just want to forward most packets coming in on one port >> to the other without any processing/filtering then a 3 port switch >> from Micrel would probably do the job > > How about if I want to bring packets in one interface, process them, > and send them out the other interface? >
Use the internal interface for one of the ports and the external DM9000E for the second port. The AVR32 based AT32AP7000 has dual Ethernet so this could be simpler to use.
> Thanks, Tom
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
>t porter wrote: >> On Sat, 13 May 2006 09:12:32 +0200, "Ulf Samuelsson" >> <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote: >> >>> zhangjian wrote: >>>> I want to design a system with dual ethernet port using >>>> at91rm9200,which Ethernet chip should i choose?How to control the >>>> Ethernet chip using at91rm9200? It need work at 100Mbits/s >>> >>> You can look at the AT912SAM9261-EK schematics which has an >>> external DM9000E Ethernet controller. >>> If you just want to forward most packets coming in on one port >>> to the other without any processing/filtering then a 3 port switch >>> from Micrel would probably do the job >> >> How about if I want to bring packets in one interface, process them, >> and send them out the other interface? >> > >Use the internal interface for one of the ports and the external DM9000E
for
>the second port. >The AVR32 based AT32AP7000 has dual Ethernet so this could be simpler to
>use. > >> Thanks, Tom > >-- >Best Regards, >Ulf Samuelsson >ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com >This message is intended to be my own personal view and it >may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB > > >Thank you for giving advice ,but i want to have the information processed
and then sent to the other ethernet port,so i have to build the system with SDRAM and FLASH,now i have no Example to reference,so i don't know how to design the PCB.where can i get the PCB design Example?
If you buy the STK1000/STK1002 development kit, then the schematics this has both Flash/SDRAM and dual Ethernet. Alternatively you can talk to your friendly Atmel distributor which could just burn you a copy of the CD. It is Alternatively you can cut out the DM9000E schematics from the AT91SAM9261EK and add to the schematic for the AT91RM9200-EK. This may or may not require changes to u-boot and definitely you need to reconfigure the Linux -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Tue, 16 May 2006 06:40:11 +0200, "Ulf Samuelsson"
<ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

> [...]
Any recommendations on where to buy the STK1000? I can't find it on digikey. Is it even available yet? Thanks, Tom

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference