Cypress USB FX device and Windows standby mode issues

Started by Max May 17, 2006
If anybody out there has done any work with the Cypress EZ-USB
FX2 device, specifically in getting it to continue to talk after the PC
goes into standby mode (and comes out again).  The Cypress sample
code doesn't work and their technical support seem unwilling/unable
to help.  It also appears to do different things on different platforms and
different versions of windows.  For the most part, the FX2 goes into
sleep mode but does not come back out again aftewards even though
Windows still shows it in the device list, you can't communicate with
it.  Any help would be appreciated.

What software are you running on the FX? What software in Windows?

I have no problems with standby mode.

"Max" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If anybody out there has done any work with the Cypress EZ-USB > FX2 device, specifically in getting it to continue to talk after the PC > goes into standby mode (and comes out again). The Cypress sample > code doesn't work and their technical support seem unwilling/unable > to help. It also appears to do different things on different platforms > and > different versions of windows. For the most part, the FX2 goes into > sleep mode but does not come back out again aftewards even though > Windows still shows it in the device list, you can't communicate with > it. Any help would be appreciated. > > M > > >
My software started off as one of the Cypress sample programs
for bulk transfers.  The sleep function is untouched (although I have
tried a number of things to make it work, initially it was unchanged)
Windows software is a C program that uses the ezusb.sys and
makes bulk usb calls.  After the computer comes back from standby
the firmware won't come out of the sleep function on some computers,
comes out and reenters and stays there on other computers and on
one computer (laptop) it keeps the computer from going into sleep
mode.  Let me know if this answers your questions.

> My software started off as one of the Cypress sample programs > for bulk transfers. The sleep function is untouched (although I have > tried a number of things to make it work, initially it was unchanged) > Windows software is a C program that uses the ezusb.sys and > makes bulk usb calls. After the computer comes back from standby > the firmware won't come out of the sleep function on some computers, > comes out and reenters and stays there on other computers and on > one computer (laptop) it keeps the computer from going into sleep > mode. Let me know if this answers your questions. > M
Perhaps you should be using cyusb.sys instead. I think ezusb.sys lacks the PnP functionality which may affect standby. I am using cyusb and cyapi.
> Perhaps you should be using cyusb.sys instead. I think ezusb.sys lacks the > PnP functionality which may affect standby. > > > I am using cyusb and cyapi. >
This project is an upgrade from the AN2131 so I didn't even realize that the cyusb existed. Thank you!
>> Perhaps you should be using cyusb.sys instead. I think ezusb.sys lacks >> the PnP functionality which may affect standby. >> >> >> I am using cyusb and cyapi. >> > This project is an upgrade from the AN2131 so I didn't even realize > that the cyusb existed. > Thank you! >
you're welcome.

>>> I am using cyusb and cyapi. >>> >> This project is an upgrade from the AN2131 so I didn't even realize >> that the cyusb existed. >> Thank you! >> > > you're welcome.
while you're being so helpful, you don't happen to have an inf file that does the firmware download and then runs the cyusb.sys, do you? Looking at the cypress inf examples, there doesn't seem to be a complete one, Thanks, M
> [...]
The inf file will only help the OS identify the device. You have to download the firmware to the FX via your app Windows will notify your app that the device is plugged in and you have to do the rest. (DEVICE NOTIFICATION)
>> while you're being so helpful, you don't happen to have an inf file that >> does the firmware download and then runs the cyusb.sys, do you? >> Looking at the cypress inf examples, there doesn't seem to be a >> complete one, >> Thanks, >> M > > > The inf file will only help the OS identify the device. You have to > download the firmware to the FX via your app > > Windows will notify your app that the device is plugged in and you have to > do the rest. (DEVICE NOTIFICATION)
With a AN2131 project, my firmware gets compiled into a system file and the inf file first loads my firmware and then re-enumerates using the ezusb.sys file. Are you telling me this is different for the FX? One of the sample inf files talks about a scripting feature to download firmware. It is not clear to me whether you only load the cyusb.sys and then use it to download firmware (scripting?) or are you suggesting that my application downloads the firmware when it starts? What does the device enumerate as until the app loads the firmware? Thank you for your continued help... M
>>> while you're being so helpful, you don't happen to have an inf file that >>> does the firmware download and then runs the cyusb.sys, do you? >>> Looking at the cypress inf examples, there doesn't seem to be a >>> complete one, >>> Thanks, >>> M >> >> >> The inf file will only help the OS identify the device. You have to >> download the firmware to the FX via your app >> >> Windows will notify your app that the device is plugged in and you have >> to do the rest. (DEVICE NOTIFICATION) > > With a AN2131 project, my firmware gets compiled into a system file and > the inf file first loads my firmware and then re-enumerates using the > ezusb.sys > file. Are you telling me this is different for the FX? One of the sample > inf files > talks about a scripting feature to download firmware. It is not clear to > me > whether you only load the cyusb.sys and then use it to download firmware > (scripting?) or are you suggesting that my application downloads the > firmware > when it starts?
That's how I do it. You can also load your firmware into the EEProm and have the FX load it from there on power up. I don't know anything about scripting or loading firmware from the inf.. What does the device enumerate as until the app loads the
> firmware?
You will have to go over the FX docs to get a complete description as to how this works as I have little time to lay it all out. The device will enumerate as a Cypress device unless you have your own VID/PID in the EEProm.. once your app identifies it you download the firmware and re-enum..
> Thank you for your continued help... > M > > > >

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference