Orcad symbols for the AT91SAM family?

Started by rickman May 23, 2006
I looked on the Atmel site, but I didn't find anything.  Anyone know if
Atmel makes symbols for their parts available?

rickman wrote:
> I looked on the Atmel site, but I didn't find anything. Anyone know if > Atmel makes symbols for their parts available?
Making your own symbols builds character (:
I have made Altium symbols, if it is of any help. Also check www.at91.com -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
rickman wrote:
> I looked on the Atmel site, but I didn't find anything. Anyone know if > Atmel makes symbols for their parts available?
They have BDSL and IBIS models on the at91.com site - isn't one of those an Orcad part file? I don't know as I don't use orcad. -Mike
Atmel has Orcad files on www.at91.com which have the symbols.

 Hit the Kit button then the kit for the part you want about half way down
the new
page are the zip design files for Orcad and the gerber files

"Mike Noone" <nleahcim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> rickman wrote: >> I looked on the Atmel site, but I didn't find anything. Anyone know if >> Atmel makes symbols for their parts available? > > They have BDSL and IBIS models on the at91.com site - isn't one of > those an Orcad part file? I don't know as I don't use orcad. > > -Mike >
In article <fdednVTDh75e2u7ZRVn-jg@omsoft.com>, jstewart@jkmicro.com
says...
> rickman wrote: > > I looked on the Atmel site, but I didn't find anything. Anyone know if > > Atmel makes symbols for their parts available? > > Making your own symbols builds character (:
And it's the part that I always have trouble convincing my customers to pay for! Every time I start a new project, I have to tell the customer that it will require a few days to set up the new parts in PADS (or ORCAD, or whatever). It's billable time, it feeds the family, but it is hardly the interesting part of starting a new design. Converting data sheet pin numbers and functions to schematic symbols, then matching them to a PCB layout footprint is one of the least glamorous element of embedded computer design. At my level (without newly-graduated junior engineers for scut work) making up symbols and footprints can sometimes be a real inhibiting factor. (Yes, I did generate about 300 pins worth of new symbols this last week----and I wish I'd had that time for something else!) Mark Borgerson
Yet another benefit of text formats: http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/tools/djboxsym.html There's even an online interactive version: http://vivara.net/cgi-bin/djboxsym.cgi
In article <xnbqto148o.fsf@delorie.com>, dj@delorie.com says...
> > Mark Borgerson <mborgerson.at.comcast.net> writes: > > At my level (without newly-graduated junior engineers for scut work) > > making up symbols and footprints can sometimes be a real inhibiting > > factor. > > > > (Yes, I did generate about 300 pins worth of new symbols this last > > week----and I wish I'd had that time for something else!) > > Yet another benefit of text formats: > > http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/tools/djboxsym.html > > There's even an online interactive version: > > http://vivara.net/cgi-bin/djboxsym.cgi >
SO, tell me, was there a symbol for the Triton LP module, or simply a different way to type in the 144 pins and functions for that module? It seems that no matter how easy the input form, you still end up typing in a lot of pin numbers and pin definitions unless someone else has published the same work. Do the GEDSymbols.org data formats translate directly to PADS Logic 2K5 symbols? If not, I've wasted my time investigating them. If they do, where do I find the Triton LP data, and how do I translate it? Mark Borgerson
Mark Borgerson <mborgerson.at.comcast.net> writes:

> SO, tell me, was there a symbol for the Triton LP module, or simply a > different way to type in the 144 pins and functions for that module?
Just a different way to create symbols. With text formats, you can create tools that do *your* repetitive tasks quickly.
> It seems that no matter how easy the input form, you still end up > typing in a lot of pin numbers and pin definitions unless someone else > has published the same work.
We try to cut and paste from the PDFs to create the input files, though. Even if you have to manually enter each pin, it's still a *LOT* faster than using a GUI to do it.
> Do the GEDSymbols.org data formats translate directly to PADS Logic > 2K5 symbols?
No, they're for the gEDA tools. I was merely pointing out why open file formats are important. If you can find a detailed enough spec for PADS symbols, a converter can probably be created. Converting to and from gEDA symbols is easy; it's converting to and from proprietary formats that's hard.
In article <xny7wrzg0a.fsf@delorie.com>, dj@delorie.com says...
> > Mark Borgerson <mborgerson.at.comcast.net> writes: > > > SO, tell me, was there a symbol for the Triton LP module, or simply a > > different way to type in the 144 pins and functions for that module? > > Just a different way to create symbols. With text formats, you can > create tools that do *your* repetitive tasks quickly. > > > It seems that no matter how easy the input form, you still end up > > typing in a lot of pin numbers and pin definitions unless someone else > > has published the same work. > > We try to cut and paste from the PDFs to create the input files, > though. Even if you have to manually enter each pin, it's still a > *LOT* faster than using a GUI to do it. > > > Do the GEDSymbols.org data formats translate directly to PADS Logic > > 2K5 symbols? > > No, they're for the gEDA tools. I was merely pointing out why open > file formats are important. > > If you can find a detailed enough spec for PADS symbols, a converter > can probably be created. Converting to and from gEDA symbols is easy; > it's converting to and from proprietary formats that's hard. >
Thanks for the clue. I checked the help menu for PADS layout and found a PDF document titled "PADS Parts Library ASCII File Format Specification" Yet another new thing to learn about PADS. I'm still in my first 6 months with this package. I got PADS because several important customers use it. It's been work learning it, but it seems versatile, stable and well integrated with the schematic capture and low-level autorouter that came with the layou package. Someday soon I hope to learn to use the scripting and macro facilities. I suspect that they would simplify the parts entry procedures. Mark Borgerson