uCOS-II

Started by ziggy July 9, 2006
I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free?
Read about it on the rabbit pages, and also was reading about it being
open, but after going to the 'main site' to get more details before i go
out and buy the book, it only looks commercial now.

If it is now a commercial product, any one have recommendations for a
really small free RTkernel that would mate well to a z80 and rabbit
2000?  ( perhaps even a 8051, but i know thats a stretch due to the
radically different architecture ).

The 'target' will be doing simple monitoring of sensors and changing of
remote parameters from a serial port based human interface ( i.e., palm
pilot ) so i dont need anything fancy, but didn't want to 'do it myself'.
"ziggy" <ziggy@fakedaddress.com> wrote in message
>I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free?
Only for personal use. There's a fee for commercial use, but it isn't particularly large. tim -
In article <4hd4vnF1qlk4eU1@individual.net>,
 "tim \(back at home\)" <tim_back_home2006@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "ziggy" <ziggy@fakedaddress.com> wrote in message > news:ziggy-30EA58.15121009072006@news.isp.giganews.com... > >I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free? > > Only for personal use. > > There's a fee for commercial use, but it isn't > particularly large. > > tim > > - > > Read about it on the rabbit pages, and also was reading about it being > > open, but after going to the 'main site' to get more details before i go > > out and buy the book, it only looks commercial now. > > > > If it is now a commercial product, any one have recommendations for a > > really small free RTkernel that would mate well to a z80 and rabbit > > 2000? ( perhaps even a 8051, but i know thats a stretch due to the > > radically different architecture ). > > > > The 'target' will be doing simple monitoring of sensors and changing of > > remote parameters from a serial port based human interface ( i.e., palm > > pilot ) so i dont need anything fancy, but didn't want to 'do it myself'.
If this ever became a commercial product the fee wouldn't be a problem as it would just be passed to the customer. How do you 'register' to get the nocomm copy? or do i just need to go buy the book? I guess 40 bucks isnt much to waste if i don't like his code...
ziggy  wrote:
> "tim \(back at home\)" <tim_back_home2006@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >> "ziggy" <ziggy@fakedaddress.com> wrote in message >> news:ziggy-30EA58.15121009072006@news.isp.giganews.com... >> >I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free? >> >> Only for personal use. >> >> There's a fee for commercial use, but it isn't >> particularly large. >> - >> > Read about it on the rabbit pages, and also was reading about it being >> > open, but after going to the 'main site' to get more details before i go >> > out and buy the book, it only looks commercial now. >> > >> > If it is now a commercial product, any one have recommendations for a >> > really small free RTkernel that would mate well to a z80 and rabbit >> > 2000? ( perhaps even a 8051, but i know thats a stretch due to the >> > radically different architecture ). >> > >> > The 'target' will be doing simple monitoring of sensors and changing of >> > remote parameters from a serial port based human interface ( i.e., palm >> > pilot ) so i dont need anything fancy, but didn't want to 'do it myself'. > >If this ever became a commercial product the fee wouldn't be a problem >as it would just be passed to the customer. How do you 'register' to >get the nocomm copy? or do i just need to go buy the book? I guess 40 >bucks isnt much to waste if i don't like his code...
The licensing terms for the uc/OS kernel distributed with the first edition of the book make its use free even for commercial applications as long as you do supply the kernel only in object form. May be you can find a copy of the 1st ed and use that version. On the other hand, that may have been an x86 only version.
ziggy scrobe on the papyrus:

Have a look here: http://www.pumpkininc.com/ Salvo is free, but it seems to work on just about everything except the Rabbit. -- John B
Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> wrote:
>ziggy wrote: >>> >I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free? >>> >The licensing terms for the uc/OS kernel distributed with the first >edition of the book make its use free even for commercial applications >as long as you do supply the kernel only in object form.
After posting that, I remembered that Intel put their old real time kernels for 8080s and 8051s (different products, not one product ported to both architectures) in the public domain. While looking for them (did not find them yet) I found this: http://home.hetnet.nl/~p_vd_vlugt/
For the 8051, I found a copy of DCX51 here: http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/ftp_area/areacro2.html (there are other goodies worth checking in that page.) It seems I was mistaken in my believe that the 8080 real time kernel was also in the public domain. The IRMX product line was sold to Tenasys ( http://www.tenasys.com/products/irmx.php8 ). They still sell descendants of IRMX-86, but I couldn't find any reference to a free download version of RMX-80. Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
In article <j5t2b2dgl82lhsapf557jp4lur9pa0tl4v@4ax.com>,
 Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> wrote:

> Roberto Waltman wrote: > >After posting that, I remembered that Intel put their old real time > >kernels for 8080s and 8051s (different products, not one product > >ported to both architectures) in the public domain. > > For the 8051, I found a copy of DCX51 here: > http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/ftp_area/areacro2.html > (there are other goodies worth checking in that page.) > > It seems I was mistaken in my believe that the 8080 real time kernel > was also in the public domain. The IRMX product line was sold to > Tenasys ( http://www.tenasys.com/products/irmx.php8 ). > They still sell descendants of IRMX-86, but I couldn't find any > reference to a free download version of RMX-80. > > Roberto Waltman > > [ Please reply to the group, > return address is invalid ]
Cool, thanks.. Going to check out that salvo link from another guy that responded.
ziggy wrote:
> In article <4hd4vnF1qlk4eU1@individual.net>, > "tim \(back at home\)" <tim_back_home2006@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > >> "ziggy" <ziggy@fakedaddress.com> wrote in message >> news:ziggy-30EA58.15121009072006@news.isp.giganews.com... >>> I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free? >> Only for personal use. >> >> There's a fee for commercial use, but it isn't >> particularly large. >> >> tim >> >> - >>> Read about it on the rabbit pages, and also was reading about it being >>> open, but after going to the 'main site' to get more details before i go >>> out and buy the book, it only looks commercial now. >>> >>> If it is now a commercial product, any one have recommendations for a >>> really small free RTkernel that would mate well to a z80 and rabbit >>> 2000? ( perhaps even a 8051, but i know thats a stretch due to the >>> radically different architecture ). >>> >>> The 'target' will be doing simple monitoring of sensors and changing of >>> remote parameters from a serial port based human interface ( i.e., palm >>> pilot ) so i dont need anything fancy, but didn't want to 'do it myself'. > > If this ever became a commercial product the fee wouldn't be a problem > as it would just be passed to the customer. How do you 'register' to > get the nocomm copy? or do i just need to go buy the book? I guess 40 > bucks isnt much to waste if i don't like his code...
You Buy the Book You Get a Personal Copy. You Pay the Fee You get the Latest Version. The Book Version Works fine. There are ports available on the net and at the micrium (I hope that is spelled right) web site. There is 1 CPU specific file. BTW uCOS-II is a little heavy for the 8052. It works, but there is not much left for very many tasks.
Roberto Waltman wrote:
> Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> wrote: >> ziggy wrote: >>>>> I may be late to this party, but was wondering if uCOS is still free? >> The licensing terms for the uc/OS kernel distributed with the first >> edition of the book make its use free even for commercial applications >> as long as you do supply the kernel only in object form. > > After posting that, I remembered that Intel put their old real time > kernels for 8080s and 8051s (different products, not one product > ported to both architectures) in the public domain. > > While looking for them (did not find them yet) I found this: > > http://home.hetnet.nl/~p_vd_vlugt/
And this http://www.marathon.ru/~fedor/doc/osdesign/kernels/, with several RTOS's.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference