NXP-- WTF?

Started by Spehro Pefhany September 1, 2006

Okay, so Philips has spun off their semiconductor division (apparently
as a whole, unlike Motorola's bifurcated spinoff) into something
called NXP, with a glitzy campaign now underway.

If you like some neutral-accented dude named "Steve" who needs his
hair combed and movies of people leaping around surging ribbons of
somewhat sickly colors: http://www.what-if-you-could.com/ (and links
to hi-res photos of beaming executives)

Or their real website: http://www.nxp.com/index.html

Any thoughts as to what this means to the future of Philips
semiconductors, and to their high-end microcontrollers in particular?

I'm guessing we might see less emphasis on the low margin parts like
jellybean discretes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> Okay, so Philips has spun off their semiconductor division (apparently > as a whole, unlike Motorola's bifurcated spinoff) into something > called NXP, with a glitzy campaign now underway.
I have just two thoughts right now: 1) Why didn't they pick a name instead of an acronym? Also, the letters "XP" remind too many people of a company they don't like in Redmond. 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have AJAX updates and that's a good sign. Now if their new search mechanism works well that will be a good improvement. Eric
"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> > 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a > light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have
Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable. -- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message

> If you like some neutral-accented dude named "Steve" who needs his > hair combed and movies of people leaping around surging ribbons of > somewhat sickly colors: http://www.what-if-you-could.com/ (and links > to hi-res photos of beaming executives)
Don't people wear ties anymore when they are trying to flog you something? Maybe if they replaced Steve with Stephanie then they could get more interest?
Tom Lucas wrote:

> something? Maybe if they replaced Steve with Stephanie then they could > get more interest?
Steve *is* Stephanie, on weekends.
In article <44f8203b$0$22731$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4all.nl>,
f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl says...
> "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht > news:1157113426.340813.142720@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > > > > 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a > > light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have > > Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable.
..the font size can be enlarged in your browser, unlike other brain-dead sites where the font size is fixed. --Gene
In article <MPG.1f6209bebd149dc69897b7@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
first.last@comcast.net says...
> In article <44f8203b$0$22731$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4all.nl>, > f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl says... > > "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht > > news:1157113426.340813.142720@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > > > > > > 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a > > > light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have > > > > Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable. > > ..the font size can be enlarged in your browser, unlike other brain-dead > sites where the font size is fixed. > > --Gene
..and they STILL don't post info on the LPC3180... --Gene
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tom Lucas wrote: > >> something? Maybe if they replaced Steve with Stephanie then they >> could >> get more interest? > > Steve *is* Stephanie, on weekends.
That would explain the hair then...
On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:11:59 -0400, the renowned Gene S. Berkowitz
<first.last@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <44f8203b$0$22731$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4all.nl>, >f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl says... >> "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >> news:1157113426.340813.142720@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> > >> > 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a >> > light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have >> >> Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable. > >..the font size can be enlarged in your browser, unlike other brain-dead >sites where the font size is fixed. > >--Gene
Indeed. On most browsers, just hold down the <CTRL> key and spin the mouse wheel to make the print bigger or smaller... If the site is poorly designed then pictures or ads may overlap the text, but most don't do that (The London FT is one that needs to get their "site" together). It also prevents Firefox's Imagezoom plugin (hold <right mouse> key plus mouse wheel) from working properly on the pictures. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
"Gene S. Berkowitz" <first.last@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> In article <44f8203b$0$22731$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4all.nl>, > f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl says... >> "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >> news:1157113426.340813.142720@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> > >> > 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a >> > light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have >> >> Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable. > > ..the font size can be enlarged in your browser, unlike other brain-dead > sites where the font size is fixed.
So I noticed. I bought a new keyboard the other day, logitex LX710, and it has zoom buttons on the lefthand side. Well, that fixed the font size ;) -- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference