better way to implement USB interface?

Started by kathy September 18, 2006
We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What
is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? - Which chip set?
Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip
interface?

I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago.

Couple questions you need to answer first.
1. Do you need USB high speed? (480Mbps)
2. Driver type, HID, etc

If you need the high speed the only sensible solution I know of is the
Cypress FX2 USB controller.  With the Keil (or SDCC) the development
environments are pretty straight forward.  It is a pretty complicated
chip so there is a learnig curve.

If you don't need high speed there are a lot more options.  Most ARM
vendors have a USB full (12Mbps) variant.  Lots of availabe code etc.
You will need a USB stack for these, the FX2 doesn't require much USB
handling firmware.

There are other useful chips FTDI etc. but these are full speed.  The
FTDI have good driver support for quick connections.

Also make sure you get Jan Alexson (www.lvr.com) "USB Complete" book!

"kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? - Which chip set? > Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip > interface? > > I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago.
Do you need USB host or device functionality? Leo Havm&#4294967295;ller.
Leo Havm=F8ller wrote:
> "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:1158613958.633220.160940@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? - Which chip set? > > Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip > > interface? > > > > I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago. > > Do you need USB host or device functionality?
FTDI do both. In silicon with a simple interface. Rocky
kathy wrote:
> We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it?
Since nobody has pointed this out yet, it's worth noting that there is no easy way to implement USB unless you use a third-party module that's already got the software and drivers pre-configured and ready-to-go. If your primary requirement is somewhat low speed (115K or slower) serial comm, then you can use one of the many USB-to-serial solutions and that would make your life much easier! Some companies also have SPI solutions that run a little faster. There are several companies that will generate the software for you - like jungo. But it's not cheap. I think Microchip and Silabs have some USB stacks that are low cost and royalty free. But most software stacks tend to be expensive.
Eric wrote:
> kathy wrote: > > We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? > > Since nobody has pointed this out yet, it's worth noting that there is > no easy way to implement USB unless you use a third-party module that's > already got the software and drivers pre-configured and ready-to-go. > > If your primary requirement is somewhat low speed (115K or slower) > serial comm, then you can use one of the many USB-to-serial solutions > and that would make your life much easier! Some companies also have SPI > solutions that run a little faster. > > There are several companies that will generate the software for you - > like jungo. But it's not cheap. > > I think Microchip and Silabs have some USB stacks that are low cost and > royalty free. But most software stacks tend to be expensive.
As OP didn't mention what OS they want to target;-)
>There are several companies that will generate the software for you - >like jungo. But it's not cheap.
anyhow new driver generation for MS OSs (WDF Windows Driver Framework) is quite easy to get started. You don't even need to dig in kernel, they have introduced UMDF (user mode driver framework) for that. ali
"Rocky" <robert@rands.co.za> skrev i meddelandet
Leo Havm&#4294967295;ller wrote:
> "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:1158613958.633220.160940@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? - Which chip set? > > Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip > > interface? > > > > I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago. >
With teh AT91SAM7S series you get a nice USB interface inside the controller and source code for HID, Mass Storage and CDC. No need to bother with external chips and Jungo (although Jungo now supports the AT91 as well) -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
kathy wrote:
> We are trying to implement an embedded system with USB interface. What > is the easy and cost efficient way to implement it? - Which chip set? > Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip > interface? > > I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago.
The PIC18F2455 is quite easy to use for USB applications, here is some stuff of mine describing how to go about it: http://www.leonheller.com/usb Leon

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference