Samples and Freebies

Started by Jason September 25, 2006
Hey gang, I have to admit, I'm a gadget whore and I love freebies, so
this evening I've been walking up and down google, looking for fun
electronic samples. Stuff from maximm and Atmel have jumped out at me,
but where else might an intrepid young geek find good, fun, free bits?
Jason wrote:
> Hey gang, I have to admit, I'm a gadget whore and I love freebies, so > this evening I've been walking up and down google, looking for fun > electronic samples. Stuff from maximm and Atmel have jumped out at me, > but where else might an intrepid young geek find good, fun, free bits?
It helps if your company actually buys production quantities of parts through distribution. Then you can beg your outside salesperson for dev kits and demo boards. Sometimes they can get you non-free software for free. Otherwise it's pretty much just component samples.
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message
> Jason wrote: >> Hey gang, I have to admit, I'm a gadget whore and I love freebies, so >> this evening I've been walking up and down google, looking for fun >> electronic samples. Stuff from maximm and Atmel have jumped out at me, >> but where else might an intrepid young geek find good, fun, free bits? > > It helps if your company actually buys production > quantities of parts through distribution. Then you > can beg your outside salesperson for dev kits and > demo boards. Sometimes they can get you non-free > software for free. > > Otherwise it's pretty much just component samples. >
In addition there are some manufacturers that sell very low cost development kits - not free I know, but by my reckoning they must be below or near the actual production cost. For example, recently I've been working with this: http://www.luminarymicro.com/products/ekk-lm3s811_evaluation_kit.html. Much more fun that bare components for the lazy people amongst us (me for example) - and only $49. I seem to remember my STK500 also was only &#4294967295;40 when I purchased it some years ago, and this came with several AVR micros included. Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org + http://www.SafeRTOS.com for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *
Jason wrote:
> Hey gang, I have to admit, I'm a gadget whore and I love freebies, so > this evening I've been walking up and down google, looking for fun > electronic samples. Stuff from maximm and Atmel have jumped out at me, > but where else might an intrepid young geek find good, fun, free bits?
There are all sorts of things that you can get for nearly free (NF). TI, for example, sells demo boards for their power chips at $10 each. That hardly covers the cost of the chips!!! I always get a couple of these when I am working with a new chip just so I can have a breadboard to try out and change a few parts to suit my BOM.

I just got one of those board from Circuit Cellar for an upcoming contest. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the board and their software. And (to the OP), circuit cellar (www.circuitcellar.com) is a great magazine. There are lots of projects other people have done for you to read about, and they occasionally do contests. Usually when they announce a contest, they will have a limited number of development kits or chip samples to go along with it. I'd highly recommend a subscription! (And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I did get a "Distinctive Excellence" award from one of their contests....) ttyl, --buddy