msp430 - basic gdb initialization question

Started by Borat October 9, 2006
Using Cywin, msp430gcc etc on my laptop running XP I've finally managed to
compile & get the code running in the hardware (yes it blinks....woohoo)

I've been trying to find out out to confiure the initialization for the gdb
debugger. The documentation and googling tells me I should be able to find a
gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which I can enter the:

*remote address
*remotetimeout
*remote local host settings etc.

I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these
manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA.

I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome  : )

Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the other
open source IDEs on offer.

regards.

> Using Cywin, msp430gcc etc on my laptop running XP I've finally managed to > compile & get the code running in the hardware (yes it blinks....woohoo) > > I've been trying to find out out to confiure the initialization for the > gdb debugger. The documentation and googling tells me I should be able to > find a gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which I can enter the: > > *remote address > *remotetimeout > *remote local host settings etc. > > I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these > manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA. > > > I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome : ) > > > Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the > other open source IDEs on offer. > > > regards. >
Under cygwin I think you need to use the gdb.ini name. This file is plain text and just contains the gdb commands you wish to run at startup. You can therefore just create one yourself. Here is what is in mine: ---start of file target remote localhost:3333 b main c ---end of file. Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org + http://www.SafeRTOS.com for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC
"Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.com> wrote...
> I should be able to find a gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which > I can enter the: > *remote address > *remotetimeout > *remote local host settings etc. > I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these > manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA. > > I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome : ) > > Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the > other open source IDEs on offer.
After I got my eZ430 at 430-Day I went through the process of installing eclipse and mspgcc and getting them working with the eZ430. I wrote up some notes mostly for myself, but I also put them here: http://msp430.squaredpad.com/archives/101 You may find them useful. In my gdb.ini file I had: target remote :3333 set remoteaddresssize 16 set remotetimeout 999999 set download-write-size 512 set remote memory-write-packet-size 512 set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed set remote memory-read-packet-size 512 set remote memory-read-packet-size fixed monitor erase load leds.elf
Matthew Kendall wrote:

> After I got my eZ430 at 430-Day I went through the process of installing > eclipse and mspgcc and getting them working with the eZ430. I wrote up some > notes mostly for myself, but I also put them here: > http://msp430.squaredpad.com/archives/101
That's a good site for 430 related info! Somehow I missed it until now. And your article about using Eclipse with the USB JTAG device and mspgcc is very helpful. Thanks! Eric
"FreeRTOS.org" <noemailgiven@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Using Cywin, msp430gcc etc on my laptop running XP I've finally managed >> to compile & get the code running in the hardware (yes it >> blinks....woohoo) >> >> I've been trying to find out out to confiure the initialization for the >> gdb debugger. The documentation and googling tells me I should be able to >> find a gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which I can enter the: >> >> *remote address >> *remotetimeout >> *remote local host settings etc. >> >> I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these >> manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA. >> >> >> I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome : ) >> >> >> Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the >> other open source IDEs on offer. >> >> >> regards. >> > > > Under cygwin I think you need to use the gdb.ini name. This file is plain > text and just contains the gdb commands you wish to run at startup. You > can therefore just create one yourself. Here is what is in mine: > > ---start of file > target remote localhost:3333 > b main > c > ---end of file. > > Regards, > Richard. > > + http://www.FreeRTOS.org > + http://www.SafeRTOS.com > for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 > Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC >
Thanks for that Richard - that's very helpful. I'll see how it goes. regards
"Matthew Kendall" <mdkendall@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.com> wrote... >> I should be able to find a gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which >> I can enter the: >> *remote address >> *remotetimeout >> *remote local host settings etc. >> I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these >> manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA. >> >> I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome : ) >> >> Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the >> other open source IDEs on offer. > > After I got my eZ430 at 430-Day I went through the process of installing > eclipse and mspgcc and getting them working with the eZ430. I wrote up > some notes mostly for myself, but I also put them here: > http://msp430.squaredpad.com/archives/101 > > You may find them useful. In my gdb.ini file I had: > target remote :3333 > set remoteaddresssize 16 > set remotetimeout 999999 > set download-write-size 512 > set remote memory-write-packet-size 512 > set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed > set remote memory-read-packet-size 512 > set remote memory-read-packet-size fixed > monitor erase > load leds.elf > > >
Thanks Matt - good tutorial.

... snip ...
I get 'server not found'. The problem may be my ISP -- Some informative links: <news:news.announce.newusers <http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html> <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
Matthew Kendall wrote:
> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.com> wrote... >> I should be able to find a gdb.ini or x.gdbinit file into which >> I can enter the: >> *remote address >> *remotetimeout >> *remote local host settings etc. >> I cannot find any similar files anywhere on my machine. Entering these >> manually each time is rapidly becoming major PITA. >> >> I hope some one can help me out..........most advice welcome : ) >> >> Once I get the hang of the basics I might go for Eclipse or one of the >> other open source IDEs on offer. > > After I got my eZ430 at 430-Day I went through the process of installing > eclipse and mspgcc and getting them working with the eZ430. I wrote up some > notes mostly for myself, but I also put them here: > http://msp430.squaredpad.com/archives/101 > > You may find them useful. In my gdb.ini file I had: > target remote :3333 > set remoteaddresssize 16 > set remotetimeout 999999 > set download-write-size 512 > set remote memory-write-packet-size 512 > set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed > set remote memory-read-packet-size 512 > set remote memory-read-packet-size fixed > monitor erase > load leds.elf >
Personally, I prefer not to have the erase and load in my gdb.ini or .gdbinit file. Sometimes you want to debug a program which is already in the flash, so re-programming is a waste. If you are using a parallel port FET rather than a USB FET, the programming time can be quite significant for a large program. In such cases, there are other msp430 utilities (like msp430-jtag) that are much faster for programming - I prefer to have a "burn" target in my makefile for the programming. It's all a matter of choice, and how *you* prefer to do your debugging.
CBFalconer wrote:

> I get 'server not found'. The problem may be my ISP
I got that too, but I hit it a few times and it started working.

Memfault Beyond the Launch