Microcontroller with 7V supply and I/O tolerance ?

Started by David October 22, 2004
David wrote:
> Hi, > > Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?
then old CMOS 1802 is the only one I know of. Oh, and the Motorola MC14500.
> Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. >
It's not difficult, it needn't take up much room, and it makes the system better. Why not do it? Or if that's too much, use resistive dividers or resistors/ zeners to get the voltage down. that helps too, you can add a cap to filter the inputs, EMC and all that. Paul Burke
Hi,

Queestion as topic :  does anyone here know of a microcontroller that
can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?  If I could
have anything I wanted then a SiLabs 8051F320 would be perfect but
they can only go to 5.25V.  Alternatively almost anything in the TI
MSP430 series would do at a pinch but they also only seem to support
supply voltages up to 5.5V max.

Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to
opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable.

Many thanks,

David
Paul Burke <paul@scazon.com> schrubbelte:

>Oh, and the Motorola MC14500
Does anyone happen to have a (scanned or original paper) datasheet of this chip? I've been looking for a veeeery long time to find it. I remember that I owned a Motorola databook that contained it but this has been gone during some of my moves... -peter --
According to the data sheet posted at Jameco for the OKI 80C85 http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/51705.pdf it can operate with a single supply from +3 to +6 volts with an absolute maximum of +7 volts Norm
Have you ever heard of Google? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MC14500&btnG=Google+Search Norm
Norm Dresner wrote:
> "David" <mangled_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:fdf3b9b2.0410220220.6c8bd885@posting.google.com... > >>Hi, >> >>Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that >>can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? If I could >>have anything I wanted then a SiLabs 8051F320 would be perfect but >>they can only go to 5.25V. Alternatively almost anything in the TI >>MSP430 series would do at a pinch but they also only seem to support >>supply voltages up to 5.5V max. >> >>Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to >>opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. >> > > > According to the data sheet posted at Jameco for the OKI 80C85 > http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/51705.pdf > it can operate with a single supply from +3 to +6 volts with an absolute > maximum of +7 volts > > Norm >
>> Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that >> can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? If I could >> have anything I wanted then a SiLabs 8051F320 would be perfect but >> they can only go to 5.25V. Alternatively almost anything in the TI >> MSP430 series would do at a pinch but they also only seem to support >> supply voltages up to 5.5V max. >> >> Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to >> opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. >> > > According to the data sheet posted at Jameco for the OKI 80C85 > http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/51705.pdf > it can operate with a single supply from +3 to +6 volts with an > absolute maximum of +7 volts
Keep in mind "absolute maximum of +7 volts" translates to "chip explodes at +7.01" volts. I'd like to know why the OP preferrs to find a possibly hard to source part rather than use something standard with inexpensive level translation.
"Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> schrubbelte:

>"Peter Kannegiesser" <pk-lat@gmx.de> wrote in message >news:q92in0988biv8609s798c0lfvf9s0og5gf@4ax.com... >> Paul Burke <paul@scazon.com> schrubbelte: >> >> >Oh, and the Motorola MC14500 >> >> Does anyone happen to have a (scanned or original paper) datasheet of >> this chip? I've been looking for a veeeery long time to find it. >> >> I remember that I owned a Motorola databook that contained it but this >> has been gone during some of my moves... >> > > Have you ever heard of Google? >
Thanks for that very new tip -- and what does this get me? I find quite a lot of things, but no _datasheet_ It might be that I'm not patient enough, but I've yet to see the datesheet... Ok, I confess that I'm sometimes blind :-) -peter --
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<fdf3b9b2.0410220220.6c8bd885@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, > > Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? If I could > have anything I wanted then a SiLabs 8051F320 would be perfect but > they can only go to 5.25V. Alternatively almost anything in the TI > MSP430 series would do at a pinch but they also only seem to support > supply voltages up to 5.5V max. > > Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable.
You don't need to opto-isolate, just level-shift. Many existing ICs can do that. In fact, many PC CPU runs below 2V and level-shift to 3.3V/5V. Many microcontroller runs below 2V for much lower operating power. some has open-collector outputs to aid lvel-shifting.
> > Many thanks, > > David
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<fdf3b9b2.0410220220.6c8bd885@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, > > Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? If I could > have anything I wanted then a SiLabs 8051F320 would be perfect but > they can only go to 5.25V. Alternatively almost anything in the TI > MSP430 series would do at a pinch but they also only seem to support > supply voltages up to 5.5V max.
Maybe I don't understand what you're asking, but why not use a 3V micro and shift it up 4V with a zener in its ground pin(s). I'm not sure how the external I/O you need are ground referenced, Sprow.