Program for PCB/Circuit Design

Started by BoysBoysBoys October 22, 2006
link?

BoysBoysBoys wrote:
> karel wrote: > > "BoysBoysBoys" <ntroast@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:1161623183.963465.225830@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > > > What is the most widely used, or the standard? > > > > round pads > > link?
He is joking. But PADS is a very popular layout package. Why do you care which one is most popular? What are you looking for?
BoysBoysBoys wrote:
>What is the most widely used, or the standard?
No such animal. You may be able to generalize based on your locale, but even then... http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/92c5b75a1af2ce5e/0bbf23b1a9d72985?q=Eagle+OrCad+Protel+Tango+EMA-EDA+p-cad+Protel+Cadence+PADS+AutoEngineer+gEDA+hierarchical+Sure-they-are+not-particularly-realistic+license-costs
So PROTEL, P-CAD, AND ALTIUM are the big three? I just want to make
sure that I start learning schematics and PCB layout with the right
program.

JeffM wrote:
> BoysBoysBoys wrote: > >What is the most widely used, or the standard? > > No such animal. > You may be able to generalize based on your locale, but even then... > http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/92c5b75a1af2ce5e/0bbf23b1a9d72985?q=Eagle+OrCad+Protel+Tango+EMA-EDA+p-cad+Protel+Cadence+PADS+AutoEngineer+gEDA+hierarchical+Sure-they-are+not-particularly-realistic+license-costs
No, they are one. Protel used to be the name of the
company and the product. The company got renamed to
Altium, the product got renamed to Altium Designer
and P-CAD is a products that was purchased by them
and lives further under the same name.

Rene

P-CAD was EOL'ed a couple of months ago. http://www.altium.com/pcad/announcement/
> Rene > > BoysBoysBoys wrote: > >> So PROTEL, P-CAD, AND ALTIUM are the big three? I just want to make >> sure that I start learning schematics and PCB layout with the right >> program. >> >> JeffM wrote: >> >>> BoysBoysBoys wrote: >>> >>>> What is the most widely used, or the standard? >>> >>> >>> No such animal. >>> You may be able to generalize based on your locale, but even then... >>> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/92c5b75a1af2ce5e/0bbf23b1a9d72985?q=Eagle+OrCad+Protel+Tango+EMA-EDA+p-cad+Protel+Cadence+PADS+AutoEngineer+gEDA+hierarchical+Sure-they-are+not-particularly-realistic+license-costs >>> >> >> >>
Re: your posting style:
This is NOT **Google Groups** (it is **USENET**)
and MOST FOLKS DON'T SEE WHAT YOU SEE ON GOOGLE.

It is NOT necessary to re-post everything that was in the post
to which you are responding.
It *IS* a good idea to include SOME of that as **context**
--especially the name of the previous poster.

The general rule is TRIM and BOTTOM-POST.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:SXIajvWUVHAJ:groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py=answer=12348+Tempting-though-it-is-*-*-*-*-*-*+remove-*-*-*-irrelevant+STOP+zz-zz+Summarize.what.you're.following.up+BOTTOM+qq+Usenet
(Scroll down to the good stuff before reading ALL of the page.)
Note how others post on Usenet and EMULATE.
Note also that Rene and Jim are iconclasts.
.
.
BoysBoysBoys wrote:
>I just want to make sure that I start learning schematics >and PCB layout with the right program. >
I thought that's where you were going. That's a fool's errand. There are no guarantees that the one you learn will be used at any given company.[1] Learn CONCEPTS instead; they translate between apps. When you see the prices for some of these packages, you may just wander over to KiCAD's site and get their open source offering (gratis and libre). . . [1] This reminds me of schools that, instead of using free software, piss away kilobucks on M$ software because "it's what they will encounter in industry". Hogwash. LEARN CONCEPTS--especially with pliant young minds.
BoysBoysBoys wrote:
> So PROTEL, P-CAD, AND ALTIUM are the big three? I just want to make > sure that I start learning schematics and PCB layout with the right > program. > > JeffM wrote: >> BoysBoysBoys wrote: >>> What is the most widely used, or the standard? >> No such animal. >> You may be able to generalize based on your locale, but even then... >> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/92c5b75a1af2ce5e/0bbf23b1a9d72985?q=Eagle+OrCad+Protel+Tango+EMA-EDA+p-cad+Protel+Cadence+PADS+AutoEngineer+gEDA+hierarchical+Sure-they-are+not-particularly-realistic+license-costs >
Pads-PCB is a professional package, And expensive. Schematic is is another tool. Or-cad is popular. Learn the concepts. they translate across packages.
I have used Cadsoft Eagle for many years and have been very happy with it
Before I bought I downloaded and tried everything I could get my hands on
and at that time (8 years ago) some of the cheaper packages wouldn't run and
some of the expensive packages were, well, expensive.  I found Eagle to be
the best price/performance tradeoff in my catagory (sub $1000)

On 2006-10-24, Max <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have used Cadsoft Eagle for many years and have been very happy with it > Before I bought I downloaded and tried everything I could get my hands on > and at that time (8 years ago) some of the cheaper packages wouldn't run and > some of the expensive packages were, well, expensive. I found Eagle to be > the best price/performance tradeoff in my catagory (sub $1000)
Eagle is also one of the few choices for somebody running Linux or OS-X. Even the free version is darned useful, and the free support on the newsgroups is first-class. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Should I get at locked in the PRINCICAL'S visi.com OFFICE today -- or have a VASECTOMY??