Program for PCB/Circuit Design

Started by BoysBoysBoys October 22, 2006
On 24 Oct 2006 14:16:28 -0700, "JeffM" <jeffm_@email.com> wrote:
[snip]
>That is inexcusable. >If the app can determine that a component is from a cracked version, >there is no reason that the same mechanism could not be used >to flag a bogus component at the time it is being added.
Not exactly, cause only the NEXT version will know. That's obivious. Say if they release 4.0 and someone cracks it, there is no way that 4.0 could know about a cracked version. They therefore include the cracked serial number (from what I heard from their support that's how it works) into the next version which then flags those components. But between 4.0 and 4.1 one (like me) could be trapped by this many times.
>This ex post facto bullshit is way over the line.
Oh yes, I obviousely fully agree. Markus
[snip]
>You can export schematics and components from Eagle as text files using >scripts provided by Cadsoft. You can then import them into the new >version to remove the problems if the files become damaged. > >kevin
Do you have pointers to such scripts? CadSoft did not mentioned them. Markus
There are ULPs such as "export-board.ulp" and 'export-schematic.ulp" on Cadsoft's web site in the download section. http://www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/ulp They create a text file that can then be used as a script to regenerate the project. They are useful if you want to do mass changes to the libraries or cleaning up boards. kevin
rickman wrote:
> > He is joking. But PADS is a very popular layout package. Why do you > care which one is most popular? What are you looking for?
A lot of people are afraid to stand out from the crowd by doing anything different. If he knew what he wanted then he could web search for products, read the material found, and make a selection. But apparently what he wants is to do what "everyone else" is doing. To a couple replies above I would not have said "pads" but "Gerber photoplot and Excellon drill." What ever one uses to lay out a PCB, generate those two sets of files and the fabricator will be able to build your board.
"JeffM" <jeffm_@email.com> schreef in bericht > I thought that's where you
were going.
> That's a fool's errand. There are no guarantees > that the one you learn will be used at any given company.[1] > Learn CONCEPTS instead; they translate between apps. > > When you see the prices for some of these packages, > you may just wander over to KiCAD's site > and get their open source offering (gratis and libre). > . > . > [1] This reminds me of schools that, instead of using free software, > piss away kilobucks on M$ software because > "it's what they will encounter in industry". > Hogwash. LEARN CONCEPTS--especially with pliant young minds. >
Hear, hear! And FreePCB is free too (duh!) Antoon
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
I started using it a few weeks ago since it is the right price for a hobbyist like me. It comes with a number of footprint libraries but you will still have to invest some time to add your own parts. The footprint editor that comes with the package is not the most user-friendly (it can't move lines you've already drawn for example: if it's in the wrong place you need to remove it and try again). It does however interface very well with TinyCAD (also free). The program itself is a tad quirky but is very stable. Unlike one of the demo version I tried of a commercial program (written in Delphi!) which would crash randomly. No autorouting though. Antoon
>There are ULPs such as "export-board.ulp" and 'export-schematic.ulp" on >Cadsoft's web site in the download section. > >http://www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/ulp > >They create a text file that can then be used as a script to regenerate >the project. They are useful if you want to do mass changes to the >libraries or cleaning up boards. > >kevin
Nice idea, alas thanks for the pointer, but the scrips error out with a parse error in line 57. The ulp code looks fine to me so I have no idea why it does not work. Markus
"Markus Zingg" <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in message
>> There are ULPs such as "export-board.ulp" and 'export-schematic.ulp" >> on Cadsoft's web site in the download section. >> >>
http://www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/ulp
Markus, I assume you got this error when you tried to run the ULPs you downloaded on your 4.0 version that will read the "cracked" files. This is probably caused by a difference betwen 4.0 and 4.1 in the ULP language. Go check the release notes and you should see something in there about the changes to the ULP language. Also pay attention to any changes between 4.0 and 4.1 for the scripting so you can modify the ULP so it will produce a script that can be processed by 4.1. The net effect is that you may have to modify the ULPs so they work with 4.0 but to me that would be worth the effort since it would allow you to avoid starting from scratch if you have a lot invested in your existing designs. -- James T. White
Antoon wrote:
> "rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> schreef in bericht > news:1161742633.072918.108060@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > > Has anyone here tried FreePCB? It is available at > > http://www.freepcb.com/ and has a Yahoo group for support. > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FreePCB/ > > > > I believe freepcb.com also has a forum. > > > > > I started using it a few weeks ago since it is the right price for a > hobbyist like me. > It comes with a number of footprint libraries but you will still have to > invest some > time to add your own parts. The footprint editor that comes with the package > is > not the most user-friendly (it can't move lines you've already drawn for > example: > if it's in the wrong place you need to remove it and try again). It does > however > interface very well with TinyCAD (also free). > The program itself is a tad quirky but is very stable. Unlike one of the > demo > version I tried of a commercial program (written in Delphi!) which would > crash randomly. No autorouting though.
I am an engineer and everywhere I have worked, they create tons of footprints regardless of whether footprints are available or not. It seems that in the PCB and fabrication world, there is very little standardization. Every company tailors their process and tailors the footprints to match the process. So having a footprint library is nice, but the pros don't use them much. About the limitations of editing parts, have you checked the user group at Yahoo? I have used the program a bit, but not extensively. I just know that when I have asked about a "missing" feature I typically find that it can be done, I am just not getting it. There is also a forum at the freepcb.com web site that will likely get a quicker answer from the author.
>I assume you got this error when you tried to run the ULPs you >downloaded on your 4.0 version that will read the "cracked" files. This >is probably caused by a difference betwen 4.0 and 4.1 in the ULP >language. Go check the release notes and you should see something in >there about the changes to the ULP language. Also pay attention to any >changes between 4.0 and 4.1 for the scripting so you can modify the ULP >so it will produce a script that can be processed by 4.1. > >The net effect is that you may have to modify the ULPs so they work with >4.0 but to me that would be worth the effort since it would allow you to >avoid starting from scratch if you have a lot invested in your existing >designs.
Thats true, and thank you for the pointer. I will ocasionally dig into this. But then, since I already decided to dropp Eagle I have to redraw those projects I intend to keep longer anyways. Again, it's not only necesairly the technical aspect of this that tells me that CadSoft is no professional partner. It's the attitude they have shown in this case. I mean I even CC'ed their CEO and they did not change their point of view, so I have no other choice than asuming that it's really their coporate phylosophy to deal this way with their paying customers. Sad for the lost investment but there are other CAD companies out there which are happy to have me as their customer as unimportant I may seem to be with a single user license. Markus

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference