Bug tracking software

Started by Henrik [6650] November 10, 2006
Hello friends,

I am searching for a bug tracking software of some kind. We have been using
PR-Tracker for a few years. But it does no longer fit our needs. And is
somewhat clunky to use. (Version 4.5 that is. I have not used any never).

So I am somewhat curious to hear what people are using and why. Preferably
packages that run on Windoze platform, since that is what we use in our
department.

What we need:
Shared database with support for multiple users.
Windoze supported host/client
Possibility to create and assign problems to developers.
Posibility to create various reports from the database.

Does anybody have anything they can recommend? Cheap/free would be nice, but
commercial packages also has our interest.

Thanking you all in advance.

Best regards
Henrik

How well does Bugzilla answer these requirements? -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" came out in April. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
I found Gnatsweb a good 90:10 solution - 90% of the features for 10% of the installation effort :) pete -- pete@fenelon.com "he just stuck to buying beer and pointing at other stuff"
Henrik [6650] wrote:

> What we need: > Shared database with support for multiple users. > Windoze supported host/client > Possibility to create and assign problems to developers. > Posibility to create various reports from the database.
We use StarTeam. It works rather well (spread across about 100 engineers and a similar number of QA staff).
Henrik [6650] wrote:
> Hello friends, > > I am searching for a bug tracking software of some kind. We have been using > PR-Tracker for a few years. But it does no longer fit our needs. And is > somewhat clunky to use. (Version 4.5 that is. I have not used any never). > > So I am somewhat curious to hear what people are using and why. Preferably > packages that run on Windoze platform, since that is what we use in our > department. > > What we need: > Shared database with support for multiple users. > Windoze supported host/client > Possibility to create and assign problems to developers. > Posibility to create various reports from the database. > > Does anybody have anything they can recommend? Cheap/free would be nice, but > commercial packages also has our interest.
I've started using Trac on a couple of projects. It integrates issue and milestone tracking with a wiki, and repository browser. A little bit nicer than getting separate products working together (imagine cross-linking tickets, revisions, and documents). I think it can run on Windows (Python based).
Henrik [6650] wrote:
> Hello friends, > > I am searching for a bug tracking software of some kind. We have been using > PR-Tracker for a few years. But it does no longer fit our needs. And is > somewhat clunky to use. (Version 4.5 that is. I have not used any never). > > So I am somewhat curious to hear what people are using and why. Preferably > packages that run on Windoze platform, since that is what we use in our > department. > > What we need: > Shared database with support for multiple users. > Windoze supported host/client > Possibility to create and assign problems to developers. > Posibility to create various reports from the database. > > Does anybody have anything they can recommend? Cheap/free would be nice, but > commercial packages also has our interest. > > Thanking you all in advance. > > Best regards > Henrik >
Hi Henrik, I recently started using Bugzilla + Subversion + SCMbug. It was a little tricky to set up all three but the result is very cool. SCMbug integrates Bugzilla and Subversion, meaning that every change to the source repository has to be applied to a corresponding bug in the Bugzilla data base. The Bugzilla information for a bug is automatically updated with the list of files that have been modified to resolve the bug. There is also a report generation feature that lets you get a list of the bugs and file changes between tags in the repository, but I haven't had a chance to use that yet. I've been using it for a couple of months for a open source project I've been playing with and am very happy. I have remote access to the source repository and bug database using HTTP access. Best regards, Rich
I used this script to solve this at one site: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/svn_bz/trunk/
> > The Bugzilla information for a bug is automatically updated with the > list of files that have been modified to resolve the bug. ... > > Rich
Henrik [6650] napisa&#4294967295;(a):
Hi Henrik, check this: http://www.mantisbugtracker.com/ It uses MySQL and Apache servers, it is quiet easy to setup everything under windows. Can be also integrated with version control system (cvs, subversion). Best Reagrds AK
"Henrik [6650]" <henrik6650@ofir.dk> wrote in message
> Hello friends, > > I am searching for a bug tracking software of some kind. We have been > using > > So I am somewhat curious to hear what people are using and why. Preferably > packages that run on Windoze platform, since that is what we use in our > department. > > Best regards > Henrik > >
***** BugTracker.NET (ASP.NET based, Free and open-source, can also be run on Mono on Linux I've read) *** TestTrack (medium developer base) *** ClearQuest (very lage developer base)

Has anyone tried FogBugz from Fog Creek software. This is Joel Spolsky's company. His "Joel on Software" stuff is always excellent. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads