Today, I had the misfortune

Started by PeteS November 14, 2006
to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and
needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a
website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation.

We've had these rants before, of course, but I'm getting to the point of
writing an open letter to semi mfrs - on the lines of 'just give me the
content'. There's a place for javascript (I like the way TI and OnSemi
[for example] use it for the parameterisable lists), but don't make the
entire website non-navigable without it; and don't make me use Flash.

I use FF2 with NoScript and nxp.com is not navigable at all unless I
enable javascript and Flash (ugh).

I wrote them a nastygram (which will no doubt be ignored). It's a pretty
website for the investors and an excuse when they start to go down the
tubes "...but the website looks so nice with all those animations. It's
not our fault nobody buys our products..." where in reality it _is_
their fault. Nobody buys the products because the website is not
targeted at it's proper audience.

I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any
more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, especially in
the original design stage where I can choose parts based on
availability, functionality and decent documentation (another pet peeve).

ok - rant mode off (for now). We now return to our regular programming.

[X-posted]

Cheers

PeteS
PeteS wrote:
> to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and > needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a > website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation. > > We've had these rants before, of course, but I'm getting to the point of > writing an open letter to semi mfrs - on the lines of 'just give me the > content'. There's a place for javascript (I like the way TI and OnSemi > [for example] use it for the parameterisable lists), but don't make the > entire website non-navigable without it; and don't make me use Flash. > > I use FF2 with NoScript and nxp.com is not navigable at all unless I > enable javascript and Flash (ugh). > > I wrote them a nastygram (which will no doubt be ignored). It's a pretty > website for the investors and an excuse when they start to go down the > tubes "...but the website looks so nice with all those animations. It's > not our fault nobody buys our products..." where in reality it _is_ > their fault. Nobody buys the products because the website is not > targeted at it's proper audience. > > I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any > more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, especially in > the original design stage where I can choose parts based on > availability, functionality and decent documentation (another pet peeve). > > ok - rant mode off (for now). We now return to our regular programming. > > [X-posted] > > Cheers > > PeteS
Are you back yet from your UK vacation? Or are you doing work while on vacation?
mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> PeteS wrote: >> to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and >> needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a >> website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation. >> >> We've had these rants before, of course, but I'm getting to the point of >> writing an open letter to semi mfrs - on the lines of 'just give me the >> content'. There's a place for javascript (I like the way TI and OnSemi >> [for example] use it for the parameterisable lists), but don't make the >> entire website non-navigable without it; and don't make me use Flash. >> >> I use FF2 with NoScript and nxp.com is not navigable at all unless I >> enable javascript and Flash (ugh). >> >> I wrote them a nastygram (which will no doubt be ignored). It's a pretty >> website for the investors and an excuse when they start to go down the >> tubes "...but the website looks so nice with all those animations. It's >> not our fault nobody buys our products..." where in reality it _is_ >> their fault. Nobody buys the products because the website is not >> targeted at it's proper audience. >> >> I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any >> more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, especially in >> the original design stage where I can choose parts based on >> availability, functionality and decent documentation (another pet peeve). >> >> ok - rant mode off (for now). We now return to our regular programming. >> >> [X-posted] >> >> Cheers >> >> PeteS > > > Are you back yet from your UK vacation? Or are you doing work while on > vacation? >
I'm back from vacation (I live in the UK nowadays :) - I was trying to deal with something a cow-orker hosed up. I went to the highlands and sampled many a fine malt - now I'm wishing I was still doing it ;) Cheers PeteS
"PeteS" <peter.smith8380@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote: > I'm back from vacation (I live in the UK nowadays :) - I was trying to > deal with something a cow-orker hosed up. > > I went to the highlands and sampled many a fine malt - now I'm wishing I > was still doing it ;)
The last time I visited a Morrisons they stocked a pretty decent selection of malts. No need to go to the highlands for that..... Meindert
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "PeteS" <peter.smith8380@ntlworld.com> wrote in message > news:Hor6h.12804$yz3.11226@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... >> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote: >> I'm back from vacation (I live in the UK nowadays :) - I was trying to >> deal with something a cow-orker hosed up. >> >> I went to the highlands and sampled many a fine malt - now I'm wishing I >> was still doing it ;) > > The last time I visited a Morrisons they stocked a pretty decent selection > of malts. No need to go to the highlands for that..... > > Meindert > >
Buying a malt at Morrisons vs tasting it at the distillery is rather like the difference between buying a fish at Morrisons and getting it at the dock off the boat. Cheers PeteS
Late at night, by candle light, PeteS <peter.smith8380@ntlworld.com>
penned this immortal opus:

For older parts I always check http://www.datasheetarchive.com first. Often enough it's the original mfr's datasheet without the hassle. - YD. -- Remove HAT if replying by mail.

PeteS wrote:

> to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and > needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a > website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation.
I agree. It insisted on me registering just to be able to view *datasheets* yet the registration with my password didn't arrive for ~ 12 hours by which time I'd found the data elsewhere and generally lost interest. Graham
In article <455A5571.10F27386@hotmail.com>,
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com says...
> > > PeteS wrote: > > > to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and > > needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a > > website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation. > > I agree. > > It insisted on me registering just to be able to view *datasheets* yet the > registration with my password didn't arrive for ~ 12 hours by which time I'd > found the data elsewhere and generally lost interest.
Last time I tried I just ignored the login and it let me at the datasheets w/o an issue. I do agree with the general tenor of the comments though. Registration requirements are one reason Luminary parts are low on my list of alternatives to look at. Robert -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
PeteS wrote:
> to visit the NXP (nee Philips) website. I am replacing a legacy part and > needed the original datasheet for comparison purposes. It's not a > website, it's marketdroid mental masturbation. > > We've had these rants before, of course, but I'm getting to the point of > writing an open letter to semi mfrs - on the lines of 'just give me the > content'.
If you mean the 'front door', then yes - but I've bookmark the usefull pages, and go straight to those. The search in philips/nxp works quite well, and I like their 'similar parts' link ideas. I did find they broke the philips/nxp website under netscape, with badly aligned pages - smacks of poor testing, but it does render OK under Firefox. > There's a place for javascript (I like the way TI and OnSemi
> [for example] use it for the parameterisable lists), but don't make the > entire website non-navigable without it; and don't make me use Flash.
Well, OnSemi drives me nuts with their poorly filtered lists. I want to do much more than re-order the columns, so I gave up and use Fairchild's search instead.
> I use FF2 with NoScript and nxp.com is not navigable at all unless I > enable javascript and Flash (ugh).
I tried disable of javascript and their search and links seemed to work, with much simpler (but usable) rendered page view. I typed BC857W into the search window, and disabled javascript.
> > I wrote them a nastygram (which will no doubt be ignored). It's a pretty > website for the investors and an excuse when they start to go down the > tubes "...but the website looks so nice with all those animations. It's > not our fault nobody buys our products..." where in reality it _is_ > their fault. Nobody buys the products because the website is not > targeted at it's proper audience. > > I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any > more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, especially in > the original design stage where I can choose parts based on > availability, functionality and decent documentation (another pet peeve).
The Philips datasheets themsleves I find quite good, and the search usually gets pretty straight to them, IF you know the part number. Where they could improve things, is device search. eg suppose I _know_ that I want a SMD MOSFET, Rds < 5mOhms, 20-40V, I should be abe to tell their web that, and get a quick short list. -jg
> Meindert Sprang wrote: >> "PeteS" <peter.smith8380@ntlworld.com> wrote in message >> news:Hor6h.12804$yz3.11226@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... >>> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote: >>> I'm back from vacation (I live in the UK nowadays :) - I was trying >>> to >>> deal with something a cow-orker hosed up. >>> >>> I went to the highlands and sampled many a fine malt - now I'm >>> wishing I >>> was still doing it ;) >> >> The last time I visited a Morrisons they stocked a pretty decent >> selection >> of malts. No need to go to the highlands for that..... >> >> Meindert >> >> > > Buying a malt at Morrisons vs tasting it at the distillery is rather > like the difference between buying a fish at Morrisons and getting it > at the dock off the boat. > > Cheers > > PeteS
Not long now until the most Northerly Scotch is ready for consumption - late this year for the three year old and late 2008 for the 5 year old. Check out http://shetlandwhisky.com/index-1.html for details. It's pretty dear to pre-order and the taxman will want another cut on delivery but it would be good to have a few bottles of the first run (which might become a good investment - how much would a bottle of the first Talisker go for?) I grew up in Shetland so I must declare an interest in plugging the local booze. I can also recommend White Wife and Simmer Dim real ales http://www.valhallabrewery.co.uk/ as worth a try if you come across them.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference