FPGA + Microcontroller - HELP

Started by LOC October 18, 2004
LOC wrote:

> Hi all, > What is a device consisting of FPGA and microntroller suitable to > following reqiurement: > 1. my PCB board size is 2.5"x2.5" - small (so I need a chip which has > FPGA and Microcontroller ? )
That is not so small. It depends on what more you need on the board...
> 2. FPGA portion has minimum 28 JK FlipFlops, 28 shift registers, and > the rest for IO and state machine, input clock 100 Mhz minimum.
Why do you need a FPGA? Timing? With a 32 bit microcontroller/DSP you can read 32 signals in one external read. An then make any manipulaton you like internally. (Using internal memory only)
> 3. microcontroller size has 2 serial ports, USB.
32 bit microcontrollers are more likely to have serial ports and USB. (why both BTW?) And these have to fit on the board too, I guess. /RogerL
Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@skelleftea.mail.telia.com> wrote in message news:<JUged.107079$dP1.403045@newsc.telia.net>...
> LOC wrote: > > > Hi all, > > What is a device consisting of FPGA and microntroller suitable to > > following reqiurement: > > 1. my PCB board size is 2.5"x2.5" - small (so I need a chip which has > > FPGA and Microcontroller ? ) > > That is not so small. It depends on what more you need on the board... > > > 2. FPGA portion has minimum 28 JK FlipFlops, 28 shift registers, and > > the rest for IO and state machine, input clock 100 Mhz minimum.
CPLD is more than enough for this.
> > Why do you need a FPGA? Timing? With a 32 bit microcontroller/DSP > you can read 32 signals in one external read. An then make any > manipulaton you like internally. (Using internal memory only)
No existing microcontroller can deal with 100 MHz, not even 128 bits bus.
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> > > Much lower cost in volume. < $5 possible. > There are people that work on Dynamic Link Libraries allowing the
code to be
> expanded. > The AT94KxxAX series will have an external databus, allowing you to
easily
> expand the data (but not the instruction) > It runs at 40 Mhz so the part could conceivable run an interpreter in
the
> internal RAM > and load code from the external memory.
So does this AX part exist somewhere? I can't find any info on it at the web site. Is there a data sheet? What size is the $5 part and what "volume". Can you project price for 1000 quantity on a part with 20 K gates? I know the current AL line does not have that size, so if the AX doesn't as well, I would need to bump up to the 40K gate part. Will the part be pin compatible or are you going to a new socket? Also, are you adding any new packages? The QFP208 is a very large package. A 256 pin BGA would be nice.
<spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: > > > > > Much lower cost in volume. < $5 possible. > > There are people that work on Dynamic Link Libraries allowing the > code to be > > expanded. > > The AT94KxxAX series will have an external databus, allowing you to > easily > > expand the data (but not the instruction) > > It runs at 40 Mhz so the part could conceivable run an interpreter in > the > > internal RAM > > and load code from the external memory. > > > So does this AX part exist somewhere? I can't find any info on it at > the web site. Is there a data sheet? What size is the $5 part and > what "volume". Can you project price for 1000 quantity on a part with > 20 K gates? I know the current AL line does not have that size, so if > the AX doesn't as well, I would need to bump up to the 40K gate part. > > Will the part be pin compatible or are you going to a new socket? > Also, are you adding any new packages? The QFP208 is a very large > package. A 256 pin BGA would be nice. >
will = futurum, but I have seen STK594s with AX chips running. The first chip will be the 10, followed by the 40 and then the 05. I think you have to wait until next year for the 40. They are pin compatible with the AL series, but need 1.8V core Vcc. There should be an app note on Atmels Website how to use the AL until AX is available. There will be new (smaller) packages. I think the AT94Sxx are in 256 BGA, with the configurator internally. The System Design speed has improved quite a lot with the latest patch. Did not work so well when AVR Studio 4 was first released, since Studio stole all the CPU. I wrote an QSPI app note and I estimate that the Modelsim/AVR Studio coverification runs 10-15 x faster than the original 2.0. Pricing you have to get from your local Atmel source. I get slapped on the fingers if I do pricing. -- Best Regard Ulf Samuelsson