Forums

Microcontroller Development Kit for hobby project

Started by Unknown December 6, 2006
I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for
microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with
following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is
around US$100:

1) USB connectivity
2) Firmware downloading thru serial (or USB) port (I don't have any ROM
burner)
3) Some input switches or sensors
4) Some output LEDs
5) Power supply
6) ANSI C compiler
etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.


> I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for > microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with > following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is > around US$100:
I suggest you buy the TI ez430 USB-connected stick, which is $20, and use the remaining $80 to buy whatever switches and LEDs you require (you could acquire a very rich set of stuff for $80). An ANSI C compiler is included. You could have little better introduction for hobby projects; the MSP430F2013 has a rich feature set and an uncomplicated architecture. <http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-t2012.html>
larwe wrote:

Oops, typo:

> <http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-t2012.html>
should be: <http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-f2013.html>
larwe wrote:
> larwe wrote: > > Oops, typo: > > > <http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-t2012.html> > > should be: > > <http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-f2013.html>
Hi L: Thanks for your prompt reply. You are right (reference from your previous reply), I should have better introduction of my "hobby project". Here is my VERY first project plan: 1) To develop a program which will output to a LED display board showing numbers one at a time (0 to 9).
akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote:


> Here is my VERY first project plan: > 1) To develop a program which will output to a LED display board > showing numbers one at a time (0 to 9).
Buy a single seven-segment LED display, roughly $1. Add it to the $20 kit, with seven resistors. Total cost, about $22.
akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

> I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for > microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with > following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is > around US$100: > > 1) USB connectivity > 2) Firmware downloading thru serial (or USB) port (I don't have any ROM > burner) > 3) Some input switches or sensors > 4) Some output LEDs > 5) Power supply > 6) ANSI C compiler > etc. etc. > > Thanks in advance.
Look at http://www2.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/USBToolStick.htm start at ~$10 Their new F41x/F520/F530 devices are wide supply ( 2.5-5V ) operation, with high peformance ADCs If you want LEDs mounted already, ( and something bigger all round..) try ZNEOCTK0100KIT for $49.99 from Mouser. Free C compiler without limits. -jg
Jim Granville wrote:
> akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote: > > > I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for > > microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with > > following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is > > around US$100: > > > > 1) USB connectivity > > 2) Firmware downloading thru serial (or USB) port (I don't have any ROM > > burner) > > 3) Some input switches or sensors > > 4) Some output LEDs > > 5) Power supply > > 6) ANSI C compiler > > etc. etc. > > > > Thanks in advance. > > Look at > http://www2.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/USBToolStick.htm > start at ~$10 > > Their new F41x/F520/F530 devices are wide supply ( 2.5-5V ) operation, > with high peformance ADCs > > If you want LEDs mounted already, ( and something bigger all round..) > try ZNEOCTK0100KIT for $49.99 from Mouser. Free C compiler without limits. > > -jg
when is silabs going to switch over to an ARM processor, they have such great chips otherwise
joep1000@yahoo.com wrote:

> Jim Granville wrote: > >>akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote: >> >> >>>I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for >>>microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with >>>following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is >>>around US$100: >>> >>>1) USB connectivity >>>2) Firmware downloading thru serial (or USB) port (I don't have any ROM >>>burner) >>>3) Some input switches or sensors >>>4) Some output LEDs >>>5) Power supply >>>6) ANSI C compiler >>>etc. etc. >>> >>>Thanks in advance. >> >>Look at >>http://www2.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/USBToolStick.htm >>start at ~$10 >> >>Their new F41x/F520/F530 devices are wide supply ( 2.5-5V ) operation, >>with high peformance ADCs >> >>If you want LEDs mounted already, ( and something bigger all round..) >>try ZNEOCTK0100KIT for $49.99 from Mouser. Free C compiler without limits. >> >>-jg > > > when is silabs going to switch over to an ARM processor, they have such > great chips otherwise
There have been rumours of ARM devices, but there is more pressure for things like 5V operation, and better ADCs/DACs. ie I have products that need those features right now, I don't have products that _need_ an ARM core to work. The 25-50MIPs of Silabs 8 bit cores is plenty. If you want good ADCs + ARM, look at Analog Devices. With 8 bit uC out-selling ARM devices over 20:1, there is plenty of scope for 8 bitters for the forseeable future. -jg
On 6 Dec 2006 11:02:15 -0800, akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

>I wanted to do some hobby projects and request your recommendation for >microcontroller development kit/board which should have included with >following features and parts. As this is my hobby project, my budget is >around US$100: > >1) USB connectivity >2) Firmware downloading thru serial (or USB) port (I don't have any ROM >burner) >3) Some input switches or sensors >4) Some output LEDs >5) Power supply >6) ANSI C compiler >etc. etc. > >Thanks in advance.
If your brand new to it and electri=onics in general, can't go wrong with this: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27207
In article <1165433462.499902.139740@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, 
zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...
> > akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote: > > > > Here is my VERY first project plan: > > 1) To develop a program which will output to a LED display board > > showing numbers one at a time (0 to 9). > > Buy a single seven-segment LED display, roughly $1. Add it to the $20 > kit, with seven resistors. Total cost, about $22.
TI ez430 - $20 LED display - $1 "So you Wanna Be an Embedded Engineer (Edwards)" - $39.95 Knowledge when you are done experimenting - Priceless! :-) <http://www.amazon.com/You-Wanna-Embedded-Engineer- Engineering/dp/0750679530/sr=1-1/qid=1165462701/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002- 8034090-5955248?ie=UTF8&s=books>