Recommendations for a C compiler for the MC9S08?

Started by Mr. C February 5, 2007
I am just starting to look around at available C compilers for the
Freescale line of 9S08 micros, specifically I have my eye on the
MC9S08AW part.  Does anyone have any definite recommendations on good
C compilers for those parts?  Any compiler you would recommend staying
away from?  Thanks.

Lou

Cosmic C is OK, IAR is not bad either. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
"Mr. C" <fakeemail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am just starting to look around at available C compilers for the > Freescale line of 9S08 micros, specifically I have my eye on the > MC9S08AW part. Does anyone have any definite recommendations on good > C compilers for those parts? Any compiler you would recommend staying > away from? Thanks.
Cosmic is pretty good. We've used the Cosmic development tools for the CPU08. There have been one or two instances where I've looked at the assembly-language generated by the compiler and observed it could be optimized slightly (but who can't say that about any microcontroller compiler?) ... but one thing I have to say about Cosmic is that we have encountered no bugs. The compiler and other development tools have always been logically correct. I give Cosmic a solid B+ for compiler optimization and a solid A of A+ for correctness of the compiler. -- David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com) http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page) http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page) http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

David T. Ashley wrote:

>>I am just starting to look around at available C compilers for the >>Freescale line of 9S08 micros,
> > Cosmic is pretty good. >
Agreed. It is pretty good, simple and convenient.
> We've used the Cosmic development tools for the CPU08. There have been one > or two instances where I've looked at the assembly-language generated by the > compiler and observed it could be optimized slightly (but who can't say that > about any microcontroller compiler?) ... but one thing I have to say about > Cosmic is that we have encountered no bugs. The compiler and other > development tools have always been logically correct.
I can't say Cosmic is without the drawbacks: 1. Cosmic IDE sucks. 2. Cosmic does have bugs, although not too many. I have burned a couple of times. Once it was with the float point library, the other was with the C syntax mistake that was unnoticed by compiler. 3. Many library functions are not reentrant.
Agreed. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
>> ... but one thing I have to say about >> Cosmic is that we have encountered no bugs. The compiler and other >> development tools have always been logically correct.
I used to use the Whitesmiths/Cosmic C compiler many years ago for HC11 development and I generally liked it.
>I can't say Cosmic is without the drawbacks: > >1. Cosmic IDE sucks.
No problem for me. To their credit, the compiler also runs in a command line mode which is likely they way I will use it from my editor. I usually HATE IDE's and really, really like my editor.
>2. Cosmic does have bugs, although not too many. I have burned a couple >of times. Once it was with the float point library, the other was with >the C syntax mistake that was unnoticed by compiler.
I wonder how responsive they are to fixing bugs. I know the Rowley Comipler I use for the MSP430 has nice free customer support that is usually fast and accurate. The only weird thing I saw with the older Cosmic Compiler is that it would crash on compilation and if I simply added a few spaces in the source code, it would not crash. It was really a strange problem since sometimes I needed to delete spaces.
>3. Many library functions are not reentrant.
No problem, I generally do not write code that will cause that to happen (single thread, no library functions used in ISRs, etc.)
>Agreed.
Thanks for all your input. I did go to their web site and the only thing I thought was weird was they did not seem to mention how much their stuff costs. Lou

Mr. C wrote:

>>2. Cosmic does have bugs, although not too many. > I wonder how responsive they are to fixing bugs.
Not very responsive. The bug that I found was with the floor() function. I send them an example. As far as I know, the bug is still there.
The policy of Cosmic is to match the price of IAR and Metrowerks :) So you'd better check the competitor prices first. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Feb 5, 9:32 am, Mr. C <fakeem...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am just starting to look around at available C compilers for the > Freescale line of 9S08 micros, specifically I have my eye on the > MC9S08AW part. Does anyone have any definite recommendations on good > C compilers for those parts? Any compiler you would recommend staying > away from? Thanks.
Bytecraft seems to generate the tightest 8-bit code for Freescale.
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

>>>2. Cosmic does have bugs, although not too many. >> I wonder how responsive they are to fixing bugs. > >Not very responsive. >The bug that I found was with the floor() function. I send them an >example. As far as I know, the bug is still there.
The bugs I reported were corrected rather fast or at least I got a workaround for the time to the next release. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

>> I am just starting to look around at available C compilers for the >> Freescale line of 9S08 micros, specifically I have my eye on the >> MC9S08AW part. Does anyone have any definite recommendations on good >> C compilers for those parts? Any compiler you would recommend staying >> away from? Thanks. > > Cosmic C is OK, IAR is not bad either.
CodeWarrior is good and also free of charge for up to 16K. -- WBR, Yuriy. "Liberalism is a mental disorder"

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference