TMS470

Started by m February 24, 2007
We are looking at using the TMS470 chip on a new design.  The problem
seems to be that the tools are just too expensive.  At the moment the
product's TAM makes it hard to justify this portion of the NRE's.  The
Keil toolset and RTOS will run over $10K last time we checked.  Other
solutions can get up as high as $60K!!!

This isn't about getting something for free.  I have no problem paying
for good tools with decent support.  The budget we have might be in
the $3K to $5K range.

I should say that I detest any licensing scheme that attempts to plug
into your revenue stream by demanding a per-unit or per product family
(or whatever) royalty.  Just sell me the software and charge me an
annual maintenance fee and keep your hands away from my business.
That's what's good about the Keil solution, BTW, no hand in the money
jar.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Martin

Have you looked at CrossWorks? http://www.rowley.co.uk. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free Real Time Kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
> Have you looked at CrossWorks? http://www.rowley.co.uk.
Didn't even know they existed. It looks interesting on first inspection. Thanks, -M
On 2007-02-24, FreeRTOS.org <noemail@noaddress.com> wrote:

>> We are looking at using the TMS470 chip on a new design. The problem >> seems to be that the tools are just too expensive. > > Have you looked at CrossWorks? http://www.rowley.co.uk.
They support the TMS470? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the web site. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! A GRAM?? A BRAM... A at GROOM... A BROOM... Oh, visi.com Yeh!! Wash the ROOM!!
> They support the TMS470? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere > on the web site.
Here is a link to a support package: http://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/TI_TMS470.htm -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
Un bel giorno m digit&#4294967295;:

> We are looking at using the TMS470 chip on a new design. The problem > seems to be that the tools are just too expensive.
TMS470 is basically a beefed-up ARM7. If you prefer spending money on internal development instead of buying commercial stuff, maybe the porting of the Linux kernel for this architecture could be an option. ARM7TDMI is supported out of the box, you "just" need to write/adapt the drivers for the peripherals you are going to use. -- emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
>> They support the TMS470? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere >> on the web site. > > Here is a link to a support package: > http://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/TI_TMS470.htm
Doh! I should have found that. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello. Just walk at along and try NOT to think visi.com about your INTESTINES being almost FORTY YARDS LONG!!
On 2007-02-24, m <martin.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are looking at using the TMS470 chip on a new design. The problem > seems to be that the tools are just too expensive. At the moment the > product's TAM makes it hard to justify this portion of the NRE's. The > Keil toolset and RTOS will run over $10K last time we checked. Other > solutions can get up as high as $60K!!! > > This isn't about getting something for free. I have no problem paying > for good tools with decent support. The budget we have might be in > the $3K to $5K range.
Gcc and eCos/freeRTOS/XMK/uCLinux? They're all free. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! This is a NO-FRILLS at flight -- hold th' CANADIAN visi.com BACON!!
Grant - are any of the compilers & os's you mention covered by licenses
other than the GPL/GNU types?

Hul

Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2007-02-24, m <martin.usenet@gmail.com> wrote: > > We are looking at using the TMS470 chip on a new design. The problem > > seems to be that the tools are just too expensive. At the moment the > > product's TAM makes it hard to justify this portion of the NRE's. The > > Keil toolset and RTOS will run over $10K last time we checked. Other > > solutions can get up as high as $60K!!! > > > > This isn't about getting something for free. I have no problem paying > > for good tools with decent support. The budget we have might be in > > the $3K to $5K range.
> Gcc and eCos/freeRTOS/XMK/uCLinux?
> They're all free.
> -- > Grant Edwards grante Yow! This is a NO-FRILLS > at flight -- hold th' CANADIAN > visi.com BACON!!
> > Gcc and eCos/freeRTOS/XMK/uCLinux? > > They're all free. > Grant - are any of the compilers & os's you mention covered by licenses > other than the GPL/GNU types?
GCC is certainly covered by GPL/GNU. The rest are run-times using GCC. What's wrong with GPL/GNU licenses?