Splitting a serial (RS232) port signal?

Started by ElderUberGeek March 9, 2007
I went to sleep and when I woke up.... what a response! Thanks guys.
Well, I see I need to clarify a few things:
1) I can modify the application in the "master" box (i.e. the one with
only a RS232 port). It is not PC based and I can only play with the
software, not the hardware obviously.
2) In one of the peripherals, I can do basically what I like in both
software and type of interface (which is actually best to be Ethernet
but 485 could work also, just not 232 because a longer range is
needed)
3) In the other peripheral, it is RS485 and no ability to change the
firmware

"ElderUberGeek" <aribloch@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I went to sleep and when I woke up.... what a response! Thanks guys. > Well, I see I need to clarify a few things: > 1) I can modify the application in the "master" box (i.e. the one with > only a RS232 port). It is not PC based and I can only play with the > software, not the hardware obviously. > 2) In one of the peripherals, I can do basically what I like in both > software and type of interface (which is actually best to be Ethernet > but 485 could work also, just not 232 because a longer range is > needed) > 3) In the other peripheral, it is RS485 and no ability to change the > firmware > >
From what I have seen, you have RXD,TXD out from your H/W. Do you have any sideband signals like RTS/CTS etc? If not, you probably want to have a low cost micro. There is already a standardized protocol for this: GSM 07.10 This allows you to multiplex a number of UART streams on top of the single RS-232 port you have. If you take a micro with three UARTs like an AT91SAM7S321 you can connect the DBGU to your RS-232 port and the two standard UARTs with H/W RS-485 support to your peripherals. The ARM micro can decode the GSM 07.10 (Google to find the standard documents) and split it up into the two streams. By using the larger AT91SAM7X128/256 you can connect peripheral 2 with Ethernet. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
ElderUberGeek wrote:
> I went to sleep and when I woke up.... what a response! Thanks guys. > Well, I see I need to clarify a few things: > 1) I can modify the application in the "master" box (i.e. the one with > only a RS232 port). It is not PC based and I can only play with the > software, not the hardware obviously. > 2) In one of the peripherals, I can do basically what I like in both > software and type of interface (which is actually best to be Ethernet > but 485 could work also, just not 232 because a longer range is > needed) > 3) In the other peripheral, it is RS485 and no ability to change the > firmware > >
Since you can go RS485 on both peripherals, that is already multidrop. Use RS232/RS485 converter on master box and problem solved! However, if your device#2 (which you have no control over) does not support addressing, you may have little problem. Try to find something that device #2 will ignore and that will server as your protocol token for device #1. You still do not need micro. If there is nothing that device #2 would ignore (e.g it always ACKs or NACKs), then you may need help of external micro. Read what Ulf posted. Roman

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference