V Cut for multiple layers PCB

Started by kunil March 10, 2007
Hi all,

I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.

I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this
PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate
each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break
the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.

In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image
layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK
for separating multiple layers PCBs ?

Thank you for your help

Regards,
-kunil

On Mar 10, 9:28 pm, "kunil" <kunilk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break > the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.
It's not wise at all to try and just break a scored PCB (for the reasons you otulined, plus stress around vias close to the flex line). However you can use a knife or saw to do it by hand, without much risk.
larwe wrote:
> On Mar 10, 9:28 pm, "kunil" <kunilk...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break >> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill. > > It's not wise at all to try and just break a scored PCB (for the > reasons you otulined, plus stress around vias close to the flex line). > However you can use a knife or saw to do it by hand, without much > risk.
On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil"
<kunilkuda@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all, > >I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB. > >I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this >PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate >each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break >the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill. > >In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image >layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK >for separating multiple layers PCBs ? > >Thank you for your help > >Regards, >-kunil
I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil" > <kunilkuda@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Hi all, >> >> I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB. >> >> I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this >> PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate >> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break >> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill. >> >> In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image >> layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK >> for separating multiple layers PCBs ? >> >> Thank you for your help >> >> Regards, >> -kunil > > I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power > planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove. >
I agree. Inner layers on all my boards have a greater keepout to the edge then surface layers. My surface keepout from the edge is usually 50 mils minimum and inner layers are 75. As to breaking them apart, it's ok if you take care. My experience is the same; I've had no problem breaking V-score boards apart by hand. Cheers PeteS
"kunil" <kunilkuda@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB. >
<Snip> I've had success in getting th PCB manufacturer to completely separate boards by V groove. Cheaper than routing. Leaves a sharp corner that can give you FG splinters, though. Cheers, Alf
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:29:28 GMT, the renowned PeteS
<peter.smith8380@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Spehro Pefhany wrote: >> On 10 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0800, the renowned "kunil" >> <kunilkuda@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Hi all, >>> >>> I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB. >>> >>> I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this >>> PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate >>> each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break >>> the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill. >>> >>> In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image >>> layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK >>> for separating multiple layers PCBs ? >>> >>> Thank you for your help >>> >>> Regards, >>> -kunil >> >> I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power >> planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove. >> > >I agree. Inner layers on all my boards have a greater keepout to the >edge then surface layers. My surface keepout from the edge is usually 50 >mils minimum and inner layers are 75. > >As to breaking them apart, it's ok if you take care. My experience is >the same; I've had no problem breaking V-score boards apart by hand. > >Cheers > >PeteS
It can reduce handling costs if the boards are left attached through the assembly and even the testing process. There is some cosmetic deficiency in the edges, and they can affect people like myself who have skin that is sensitive to the dangling fibers, but if there are no tight mechanical requirements on the V-groove edges, it works fine. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Mar 11, 1:39 am, Spehro Pefhany <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>
wrote:

> I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power > planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.
I've had mixed results. I guess I'd break someone else's boards this way, but not ones I'd paid for. Blades are cheap :)