AT91SAM9260 booting and board questions

Started by Unknown March 14, 2007
I am interested in both the AT91RM9200 and AT91SAM9260.  Schematics
for the AT91RM9200 are available on the internet  but there is nothing
on the 9260.  What's the best (and hopefully cheapest) way of
investigating both chips.  I want to build a board around one or the
other but right now leaning towards the 9200.

If anyone else plans on using either of the above chip for a board,
please chime in.... now :-)

On Mar 25, 12:41 am, "vorange" <orange...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am interested in both the AT91RM9200 and AT91SAM9260. Schematics > for the AT91RM9200 are available on the internet but there is nothing > on the 9260. What's the best (and hopefully cheapest) way of > investigating both chips. I want to build a board around one or the > other but right now leaning towards the 9200. > > If anyone else plans on using either of the above chip for a board, > please chime in.... now :-)
I am looking at spinning an ARM9/11 board and have not yet picked a chip yet. Why have you narrowed down to one of these two?
Check out www.at91.com. If You look at www.atmel.com at the AT91SAM9260 or AT91SAM9260EK pages, there are "Hardware Files" which should contain what you want.
> > I am looking at spinning an ARM9/11 board and have not yet picked a > chip yet. Why have you narrowed down to one of these two? >
The AT91SAM9260 is basically a cheap Linux capable CPU. The AT91RM9200 has ETM and more pins, it is more expensive. Otherwise the functionality is more or less the same. Between the two, I would go for the SAM9260, which has a more modern bootROM allowing high speed production less external components, will run a little faster, and there is a roadmap to even faster chips. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
vorange wrote:
> I am interested in both the AT91RM9200 and AT91SAM9260. Schematics > for the AT91RM9200 are available on the internet but there is nothing > on the 9260. What's the best (and hopefully cheapest) way of > investigating both chips. I want to build a board around one or the > other but right now leaning towards the 9200. > > If anyone else plans on using either of the above chip for a board, > please chime in.... now :-)
you might want to wait a few days, until full info on AT91SAM9XE512 is released. There is a press release on the web, but full info is timed with ESC. [As is the new FLASH AVR32's ] -jg
On Mar 14, 3:26 pm, "Arlet" <usene...@c-scape.nl> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 7:56 pm, "linnix" <m...@linnix.info-for.us> wrote: > > > > > On Mar 14, 10:20 am, shinystart...@gmail.com wrote: > > > > I am trying to design a new board based on the AT91SAM9260 processor > > > and had a few questions : > > > > - Any idea if the DP83848CVV Phyter from National Semi would work with > > > this proc. (it supports both RMII and MII) > > > > - I am not clear as to point of having both 16-bit NAND flash and > > > serial DataFlash as shown in the AT91SAM9260-EK. It seems like one > > > could use either flash chips for running linux, presumeably either one > > > should be enough on a board, right? I was hoping to use only a single > > > 8-pin serial flash chip on my board. > > > Nop, i think it's booting off the Nand Flash. > > You can probably run without the serial flash, > > but not without the nand flash. > > You have to read the manuals for sure. > > The AT91SAM9260 can boot from serial flash or nand flash. See section > 13.4 of the manualhttp://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc6221.pdf > > The serial dataflash devices are more limited in size and speed, > however.
The point of the eval board is to demo as many features of the chip as practical, so that add both. Also, note that different Flash parts have different lifetimes in regards to how many times they can be rewritten. Then of course, there is cost. So some project will be happy with a smaller (both in size and capacity) serial part or you might need a full blown Gb NAND flash.

Memfault Beyond the Launch