Forums

IAR Embedded Workbench IDE

Started by You Know Who March 20, 2007
Hi,

I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some drivers
etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup

My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of a new
project.

It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not work
either.

Any smart ideas?

Thanks,

Regards
Jens

"You Know Who" <jg.REMOVE@THIS.homatic.dk> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some > drivers etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup > > My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of > a new project. > > It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not > work either. > > Any smart ideas? > > Thanks, > > Regards > Jens
Send an email to IARs support people.
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:26:32 -0000, "Tom Lucas" <news@REMOVE_tlcs_THIS_dot_TO_fsnet_REPLY_dot_co.uk>
wrote:

>"You Know Who" <jg.REMOVE@THIS.homatic.dk> wrote in message >news:45ff9d5d$0$866$edfadb0f@dread12.news.tele.dk... >> Hi, >> >> I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some >> drivers etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup >> >> My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of >> a new project. >> >> It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not >> work either. >> >> Any smart ideas? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Regards >> Jens > >Send an email to IARs support people. >
They don't provide support for their free versions
On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:

> >Send an email to IARs support people. > > They don't provide support for their free versions
And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs".
"You Know Who" <jg.REMOVE@THIS.homatic.dk> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi, > > I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some drivers > etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup > > My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of a > new project. > > It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not work > either. > > Any smart ideas? > > Thanks, > > Regards > Jens > >
Look in their directory structure, It is pretty obvious, once you find the right directory. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On 20-Mar-2007, "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Send an email to IARs support people. > > > > They don't provide support for their free versions > > And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to > "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you > to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the > latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code > because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a > new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs".
My support from IAR has been good (under service contract).
"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> "You Know Who" <jg.REMOVE@THIS.homatic.dk> skrev i meddelandet > news:45ff9d5d$0$866$edfadb0f@dread12.news.tele.dk... >> Hi, >> >> I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some drivers >> etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup >> >> My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of a >> new project. >> >> It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not work >> either. >> >> Any smart ideas? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Regards >> Jens >> >> > > Look in their directory structure, > It is pretty obvious, once you find the right directory. > > -- > Best Regards, > Ulf Samuelsson > This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, > or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB > > >
Hi Ulf, What directory structure? And what to do? Could you be a bit more specific? Regards Jens
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: > >> >Send an email to IARs support people. >> >> They don't provide support for their free versions > > And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to > "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you > to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the > latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code > because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a > new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". >
That answer indicates that you do not have a service contract. (I know you don't :-) Why do you feel that you are *entitled* to support for a free compiler? Everyone knows, that the free compilers are there as a tool for them to increase their sales and it is a win-win situation for the potential customer and the compiler company. Somehow, I seem to remember that gcc also evolves, even if it is free. Some can live with the limitations and some cannot. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
The files below their installation top level Typically <C:\Program Files\IAR Systems> They support a few different types of projects. When EW starts up, it reads the projects from one of the subdirectories.
> Could you be a bit more specific? >
Yes, I could but I would not want to rob you of educating yourself on their directory tree. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
In article <1174390742.204774.249590@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...
> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: > > > >Send an email to IARs support people. > > > > They don't provide support for their free versions > > And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to > "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you > to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the > latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code > because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a > new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". > >
That hasn't been my experience at all. When I've contacted IAR tech support, they've actually been able to answer my questions. One very unusual thing is that in queries over a two-year time period, I've actually been helped by the same person! I've been able to keep the IAR ARM dev systems version 3.10 and 4.20 on the same machine so that I don't have to worry about changes to libraries or ICE version compatibility issues. I also got the J-Link USB-JTAG hardware very inexpensively with with a starter kit from ATMEL. Yes, they do charge several hundred dollars per year for updates and support. OTOH, the cost of my time in getting GCC running on a separate machine and learning Linux has for a different project been comparable to a decade of IAR support. Mark Borgerson