IAR Embedded Workbench IDE

Started by You Know Who March 20, 2007
Mark Borgerson <mborgerson@comcast.net> wrote:
> That hasn't been my experience at all. When I've contacted IAR tech > support, they've actually been able to answer my questions. One > very unusual thing is that in queries over a two-year time period, > I've actually been helped by the same person!
IAR offer some excellent support, usually with a direct line to their key developers. They and Cosmic are always a pleasure to work with. Products by and for professionals, and worth what you pay both to acquire them and to keep them in support. pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:52:42 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson"
<ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

>"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >news:1174390742.204774.249590@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: >> >>> >Send an email to IARs support people. >>> >>> They don't provide support for their free versions >> >> And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to >> "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you >> to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the >> latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code >> because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a >> new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". >> > >That answer indicates that you do not have a service contract. >(I know you don't :-) >Why do you feel that you are *entitled* to support for a free compiler? > >Everyone knows, that the free compilers are there as a tool >for them to increase their sales and it is a win-win situation for the >potential customer and the compiler company. > >Somehow, I seem to remember that gcc also evolves, even if it is free. > >Some can live with the limitations and some cannot.
And live with the many benefits, which are not in any way limited to initial cost. You only present one side of the issue as though that was all there was to it. Jon
"Jonathan Kirwan" <jkirwan@easystreet.com> skrev i meddelandet
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:52:42 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson" > <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote: > >>"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >>news:1174390742.204774.249590@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >>> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: >>> >>>> >Send an email to IARs support people. >>>> >>>> They don't provide support for their free versions >>> >>> And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to >>> "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you >>> to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the >>> latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code >>> because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a >>> new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". >>> >> >>That answer indicates that you do not have a service contract. >>(I know you don't :-) >>Why do you feel that you are *entitled* to support for a free compiler? >> >>Everyone knows, that the free compilers are there as a tool >>for them to increase their sales and it is a win-win situation for the >>potential customer and the compiler company. >> >>Somehow, I seem to remember that gcc also evolves, even if it is free. >> >>Some can live with the limitations and some cannot. > > And live with the many benefits, which are not in any way limited to > initial cost. You only present one side of the issue as though that > was all there was to it. > > Jon
So that even Jon understands: Some can live with the limitations [of an commerical compiler] and some cannot. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:23:04 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson"
<ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

>"Jonathan Kirwan" <jkirwan@easystreet.com> skrev i meddelandet >news:ho8003psqsnv2cr0m73ttnqi3e5n9989i3@4ax.com... >> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:52:42 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson" >> <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote: >> >>>"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet >>>news:1174390742.204774.249590@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >>>> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: >>>> >>>>> >Send an email to IARs support people. >>>>> >>>>> They don't provide support for their free versions >>>> >>>> And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to >>>> "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you >>>> to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the >>>> latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code >>>> because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a >>>> new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". >>>> >>> >>>That answer indicates that you do not have a service contract. >>>(I know you don't :-) >>>Why do you feel that you are *entitled* to support for a free compiler? >>> >>>Everyone knows, that the free compilers are there as a tool >>>for them to increase their sales and it is a win-win situation for the >>>potential customer and the compiler company. >>> >>>Somehow, I seem to remember that gcc also evolves, even if it is free. >>> >>>Some can live with the limitations and some cannot. >> >> And live with the many benefits, which are not in any way limited to >> initial cost. You only present one side of the issue as though that >> was all there was to it. >> >> Jon > >So that even Jon understands: > >Some can live with the limitations [of an commerical compiler] and some >cannot.
Same response. There are limitations and benefits all 'round. Better to just point out that it is a good idea to realize there are differences and to examine them for any particular situation. Jon
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 20, 6:12 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: > >> >Send an email to IARs support people. >> >> They don't provide support for their free versions > > And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to > "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you > to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the > latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code > because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a > new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs". >
I take it you had a bad experience with IAR.. ? I can only say from my experience that their support is very good, even to the point of compiler support personel phoning me and explaining what where and why..