Where to get Atmel avr32 promo board ?

Started by Alex Gibson April 4, 2007
Is there any where anyone knows of, that actually has
ATNGW100  AVR32 NETWORK GATEWAY
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102
in stock yet ?

They have a promo selling them for US$69
and claim they are available but I can't find anyone who has any in stock.
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?FileName=AVR32NGKit_3_26.html&family_id=682

Nice to see that they provide avr32 studio for windows and linux (eclipse
based).
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=682

Thanks

Alex

http://www.braemac.com.au/ should be able to get it fairly easily.

"Alex Gibson" <news@alxx.org> wrote in message
> > Is there any where anyone knows of, that actually has > ATNGW100 AVR32 NETWORK GATEWAY > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102 > in stock yet ? > > They have a promo selling them for US$69 > and claim they are available but I can't find anyone who has any in stock. > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?FileName=AVR32NGKit_3_26.html&family_id=682 > > Nice to see that they provide avr32 studio for windows and linux (eclipse > based). > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=682 > > Thanks > > Alex >
Alex Gibson =ED=E0=EF=E8=F1=E0:
> Is there any where anyone knows of, that actually has > ATNGW100 AVR32 NETWORK GATEWAY > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3D4102 > in stock yet ? > > They have a promo selling them for US$69 > and claim they are available but I can't find anyone who has any in stock. > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?FileName=3DAVR32NGKit_3=
_26.html&family_id=3D682
> > Nice to see that they provide avr32 studio for windows and linux (eclipse > based). > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=3D682
according to our local distributor they will have these in 2 weeks and will sell them for US $102 (including the tax), but I do not see much sense to evaluate this chip at the moment. I was 100% sure that the $69 price is just a buzz and Atmel may sell some boards on this price in US but nobody outside US will get the kit for this price. Digikey sell these chips alone for US $37.63/ea in single quantity i=2Ee. it cost about twice much than SAM9261 (US $19.35), so why to learn new architecture? yes, it have some more exotic instructions than ARM but tell me which C compiler will utilize their use? this is the same story as the Jizzele instructions in SAM9 - there is no C compiler which to use them, so no big deal that your ARM core have them unless you love to write on low level language. And not for least I'm not confident that AVR32 at 150 will be faster than ARM9 at 180 Mhz, all I've seen for playing video with the Atmel demonstrations were on 320x240 pixels LCD, why then AVR32 need this hardware accelerator for the MPEG, ARM9 (204Mhz) plays video with hours on my pocket PC just fine on the same LCD resolution without need for any hardware accelerator. Of course I could be wrong, but these are my first personal impressions. Best regards Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/ pcb) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, MAXQ2000 and MSP430 (http:// www.olimex.com/dev)
"MisterE" <voids@sometwher.world> wrote in message
> > http://www.braemac.com.au/ should be able to get it fairly easily. >
They don't have stock either. Supposed to be getting them in in approximately two weeks. I usually avoid braemac because in the past they had large moq and wanted to know every detail of your project. Alex
according to our local distributor they will have these in 2 weeks and
will sell them for US $102 (including the tax), but I do not see much
sense to evaluate this chip at the moment.
I was 100% sure that the $69 price is just a buzz and Atmel may sell
some boards on this price in US but nobody outside US will get the kit
for this price.
Digikey sell these chips alone for US $37.63/ea in single quantity
i.e. it cost about twice much than SAM9261 (US $19.35), so why to
learn new architecture? yes, it have some more exotic instructions
than ARM but tell me which C compiler will utilize their use? this is
the same story as the Jizzele instructions in SAM9 - there is no C
compiler which to use them, so no big deal that your ARM core have
them unless you love to write on low level language.

==> I think that a few people will work on Video Codecs and
        the rest will just use them.

And not for least I'm not confident that AVR32 at 150 will be faster
than ARM9 at 180 Mhz, all I've seen for playing video with the Atmel
demonstrations were on 320x240 pixels LCD, why then AVR32 need this
hardware accelerator for the MPEG, ARM9 (204Mhz) plays video with
hours on my pocket PC just fine on the same LCD resolution without
need for any hardware accelerator.

==> Different video standards require different performance
        It is much easier to play MPEG-4 than it is to play H.264.
        Have seen MPEG-4 been played on a brand new
        OMAP (ARM9) based phone, and this is real choppy
        Playing the same on the 133 MHz STK1000 is really smooth.

        Do you play full screen resolution?

Of course I could be wrong, but these are my first personal
impressions.

==> Prices will have to be competitive.
        Single qty price means nothing when you ask for a quote.
        One thing bringing up price is the High Speed USB Device
        which has a pretty costly PHY.
        The SAM9261 does not have a High Speed Device
        so moving a large file is going to take considerably longer time.

        The way Atmel supports the Linux is also different.
        Atmel is working on AVR32 Studio which is a free Eclipse Based
        environement running under Windows and Linux
        and some people like the idea of having H/W and S/W from the same
place.

Best regards
Tsvetan

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

> They don't have stock either. > Supposed to be getting them in in approximately two weeks. >
Unlike many other Atmel development boards, the first production order was a couple of thousands, so once the first batch arrives, I hope that there should not be any availability problems.
> I usually avoid braemac because in the past they had large moq > and wanted to know every detail of your project. > > Alex
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
<tusunov@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Alex Gibson ??????:
> Is there any where anyone knows of, that actually has > ATNGW100 AVR32 NETWORK GATEWAY > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102 > in stock yet ? > > They have a promo selling them for US$69 > and claim they are available but I can't find anyone who has any in stock. > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?FileName=AVR32NGKit_3_26.html&family_id=682 > > Nice to see that they provide avr32 studio for windows and linux (eclipse > based). > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=682
>according to our local distributor they will have these in 2 weeks and >will sell them for US $102 (including the tax), but I do not see much >sense to evaluate this chip at the moment. >I was 100% sure that the $69 price is just a buzz and Atmel may sell >some boards on this price in US but nobody outside US will get the kit >for this price.
Digikey have the boards listed for US$69 but no stock yet
>Digikey sell these chips alone for US $37.63/ea in single quantity >i.e. it cost about twice much than SAM9261 (US $19.35), so why to >learn new architecture? yes, it have some more exotic instructions >than ARM but tell me which C compiler will utilize their use? this is >the same story as the Jizzele instructions in SAM9 - there is no C >compiler which to use them, so no big deal that your ARM core have >them unless you love to write on low level language.>> > >And not for least I'm not confident that AVR32 at 150 will be faster >than ARM9 at 180 Mhz, all I've seen for playing video with the Atmel >demonstrations were on 320x240 pixels LCD, why then AVR32 need this >hardware accelerator for the MPEG, ARM9 (204Mhz) plays video with >hours on my pocket PC just fine on the same LCD resolution without >need for any hardware accelerator. > >Of course I could be wrong, but these are my first personal >impressions. > >Best regards >Tsvetan
I'm not fussed about the chip arch/instructions or the video side. Need some low cost, lowish power, small gateway boards ( can and rs485 to ethernet) with reasonable processing power for a project. Can also use them on a few other projects. Already have atmel tools ( jtag). These boards have all I need except rs485, and can't be beaten for the price. A bonus is atmel providing ready to roll tools for both windows and linux. Evaluating a few boards including a few of yours(stk lpc378). Want to try one, then if they prove to live up to whats required get a few. Thanks Alex
Ulf, please reconsider your quoting style. It wqas hard to see your remarks in above message Bye -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
> Ulf, > > please reconsider your quoting style. It wqas hard to see your remarks in > above message >
Outlook Express is no good at quoting Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
On Apr 4, 7:09 am, tusu...@my-deja.com wrote:

> the same story as the Jizzele instructions in SAM9 - there is no C
ROFL. Tsvetan, that is one of the funniest Freudian slips I've seen in c.a.e. ;) No, Jazelle doesn't get me excited either.