Real Time Clock Hardware

Started by Tim Wescott April 30, 2007
John Larkin wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 07:44:17 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> > wrote: > > >>I need to put a real-time clock on a board. I haven't needed to know >>anything about the market for this for years, and I see that I'm way out >>of date. >> >>I just need basic clock functionality that I can read and set under >>software control, I don't need any bells or whistles, and I don't care >>much about the format. >> >>What I do care about is something that I can put on the board easily and >>will work reliably. >> >>I could put a chip, caps, crystal and battery on the board. I see the >>24-DIP sized chips that come with the flip-top, though, and they look >>like I could short-cut a number of production issues by using them. >> >>Does anyone have any experience with these things? Are the tops >>interchangeable, or do I have to use a TI top with a TI bottom, ditto >>for NXP, etc.? >> >>Any other positive or negative relevant experience anyone wants to share? >> >>Thanks. > > > Epsom has some dips with the crystal inside and all. Just add a > lithium battery and you'll be good for 10 years, maybe 20. >
Isn't Epsom some kind of salt against swelling and soreness? SCNR... One detail that might be of importance is how the HW side of the SW control for this RTC is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I just too freaking old? -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/PRO+POWER/81400000/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3058669 http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/ALPHA/LC+134+500YDS+WHT/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1213871 last one if from Newark martin
martin griffith wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded Joerg > <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: > > C is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? > >>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I >>just too freaking old? > > http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/PRO+POWER/81400000/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3058669 > http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/ALPHA/LC+134+500YDS+WHT/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1213871 > last one if from Newark >
Ah, thanks! Didn't know it was called lacing cord these days. We used to call it wax rope or harness cord. Digikey is out but Mouser has that as well. They even got it in black, I only knew the white stuff. Cool. 10c/yard is kind of highish but those 500 yards will last a long time. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, Joerg
<notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: > >> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 07:44:17 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> >> wrote: >> >> >>>I need to put a real-time clock on a board. I haven't needed to know >>>anything about the market for this for years, and I see that I'm way out >>>of date. >>> >>>I just need basic clock functionality that I can read and set under >>>software control, I don't need any bells or whistles, and I don't care >>>much about the format. >>> >>>What I do care about is something that I can put on the board easily and >>>will work reliably. >>> >>>I could put a chip, caps, crystal and battery on the board. I see the >>>24-DIP sized chips that come with the flip-top, though, and they look >>>like I could short-cut a number of production issues by using them. >>> >>>Does anyone have any experience with these things? Are the tops >>>interchangeable, or do I have to use a TI top with a TI bottom, ditto >>>for NXP, etc.? >>> >>>Any other positive or negative relevant experience anyone wants to share? >>> >>>Thanks. >> >> >> Epsom has some dips with the crystal inside and all. Just add a >> lithium battery and you'll be good for 10 years, maybe 20. >> > >Isn't Epsom some kind of salt against swelling and soreness? SCNR... > >One detail that might be of importance is how the HW side of the SW >control for this RTC is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? > >Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I >just too freaking old?
They've recently invented these things called "tie-wraps." Which reminds me to find some plastic spiral cable protector stuff to keep the cats from chewing up the cables on Mo's Mac. John
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:31:17 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, Joerg ><notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: > >>John Larkin wrote:
>>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I >>just too freaking old? > >They've recently invented these things called "tie-wraps." > >Which reminds me to find some plastic spiral cable protector stuff to >keep the cats from chewing up the cables on Mo's Mac. > >John
Do they have a tie wrap made out of string yet? martin
Joerg wrote:
> martin griffith wrote: > >> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded Joerg >> <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: >> >> C is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? >> >>> Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope >>> for making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or >>> am I just too freaking old? >> >> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/PRO+POWER/81400000/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3058669 >> >> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/ALPHA/LC+134+500YDS+WHT/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1213871 >> >> last one if from Newark >> > > Ah, thanks! Didn't know it was called lacing cord these days. We used to > call it wax rope or harness cord. Digikey is out but Mouser has that as > well. They even got it in black, I only knew the white stuff. Cool. > 10c/yard is kind of highish but those 500 yards will last a long time.
Most aircraft supply shops carry Koroseal lacing cord. It's still used for behind- the-panel avionics lacing.
"martin griffith" <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:31:17 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded John Larkin > <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >>On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, Joerg >><notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: >> >>>John Larkin wrote: > >>>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope >>>for >>>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I >>>just too freaking old? >> >>They've recently invented these things called "tie-wraps." >> >>Which reminds me to find some plastic spiral cable protector stuff to >>keep the cats from chewing up the cables on Mo's Mac. >> >>John > Do they have a tie wrap made out of string yet?
There are 'odd' occassions, where using waxed cord is nicer (things like doing rewiring work on vintage equipment for example). Remember there is nothing 'special' about this cord. Waxed cotton thread is available from many suppliers. It is just not held by electronic companies now, since in normal use on electronics, it has been replaced by solutions like the wraps and ties mentioned. A search for 'waxed tying string', should find dozens of sources. Some aviation suppliers, also still offer this. Best Wishes
John Larkin wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, Joerg > <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: > > >>John Larkin wrote: >> >> >>>On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 07:44:17 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> >>>wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>>I need to put a real-time clock on a board. I haven't needed to know >>>>anything about the market for this for years, and I see that I'm way out >>>>of date. >>>> >>>>I just need basic clock functionality that I can read and set under >>>>software control, I don't need any bells or whistles, and I don't care >>>>much about the format. >>>> >>>>What I do care about is something that I can put on the board easily and >>>>will work reliably. >>>> >>>>I could put a chip, caps, crystal and battery on the board. I see the >>>>24-DIP sized chips that come with the flip-top, though, and they look >>>>like I could short-cut a number of production issues by using them. >>>> >>>>Does anyone have any experience with these things? Are the tops >>>>interchangeable, or do I have to use a TI top with a TI bottom, ditto >>>>for NXP, etc.? >>>> >>>>Any other positive or negative relevant experience anyone wants to share? >>>> >>>>Thanks. >>> >>> >>>Epsom has some dips with the crystal inside and all. Just add a >>>lithium battery and you'll be good for 10 years, maybe 20. >>> >> >>Isn't Epsom some kind of salt against swelling and soreness? SCNR... >> >>One detail that might be of importance is how the HW side of the SW >>control for this RTC is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? >> >>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I >>just too freaking old? > > > They've recently invented these things called "tie-wraps." >
Yeah but it ain't the same. Wax rope looks a lot more neat and tidy. To me tie-wraps have the curb appeal of a rubber band. Plus they crumple. Ok, I have used them on my LAN runs as well but only because I could neither turn nor see much in the crawl space.
A Mac? Gasp. I'll have to talk to one on the current project. Not really looking forward to that. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Jim Stewart wrote:
> Joerg wrote: > >> martin griffith wrote: >> >>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:00:37 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded Joerg >>> <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: >>> >>> C is going to be handled. SPI? I2C? Other? >>> >>>> Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope >>>> for making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. >>>> Or am I just too freaking old? >>> >>> >>> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/PRO+POWER/81400000/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3058669 >>> >>> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Cable/Cable+Accessories/ALPHA/LC+134+500YDS+WHT/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1213871 >>> >>> last one if from Newark >>> >> >> Ah, thanks! Didn't know it was called lacing cord these days. We used >> to call it wax rope or harness cord. Digikey is out but Mouser has >> that as well. They even got it in black, I only knew the white stuff. >> Cool. 10c/yard is kind of highish but those 500 yards will last a long >> time. > > > Most aircraft supply shops carry Koroseal > lacing cord. It's still used for behind- > the-panel avionics lacing. >
Aha! Cool. Because we have a local runway almost next to the house so I could waltz over there and see if they've got any. I have seen <20 year old harnesses where half of the tie wraps have failed and their pieces were flying about in the bottom of the box. That would absolutely not be a good thing in an aircraft. In contrast I have never seen a harness where lacing has failed and some were north of 50 years old. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Joerg wrote:
> > Jim Stewart wrote: > > > > Most aircraft supply shops carry Koroseal > > lacing cord. It's still used for behind- > > the-panel avionics lacing. > > > > Aha! Cool. Because we have a local runway almost next to the house so I > could waltz over there and see if they've got any. > > I have seen <20 year old harnesses where half of the tie wraps have > failed and their pieces were flying about in the bottom of the box. That > would absolutely not be a good thing in an aircraft. In contrast I have > never seen a harness where lacing has failed and some were north of 50 > years old.
I'll bet they were either the cheap plastic ones, or natural nylon. The black ones are UV resistant, and last a lot longer. Outdoors, they outlasted natural nylon over 5 to 1, and that was up north, in Cincinnati, ohio. The additional UV in Florida kills the cheap ones even faster. -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Memfault Beyond the Launch