Real Time Clock Hardware

Started by Tim Wescott April 30, 2007
I've got a couple of spools in my toolbox in the hangar.  Coming down
through Rocklin any time this week?  Or even better, Grass Valley?

Jim

Jim Stewart wrote:

> Joerg wrote: > >> DaveM wrote: >> >>> "John Popelish" <jpopelish@rica.net> wrote in message >>> news:mLqdnU66Po34D6vbnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com... >>> >>>> Joerg wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>> Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax >>>>> rope for making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or >>>>> Mouser. Or am I just too freaking old? >>>> >>>> >>>> I think a more common description is lacing cord. Digikey produces >>>> one hit, but it is for a not stocked 50 pound spool by Alpha Wire. >>>> >>> >>> >>> Mouser and Newark list several types of lacing cord. Just search for >>> "lacing" to get the hits >>> >> >> Yes, I found that at Mouser. Even comes in two colors but >> unfortunately only in rather large spools. I'd only need 50ft or so at >> a client and having a drum of 1500ft doesn't make sense. So I'll see >> if our aircraft maintenance guys have any or I'll just do it with wires. >> >> Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard >> time assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but >> their search "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than >> they'll ever know. > > > For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like > waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using > it in production or flight hardware. >
Now that's an idea. I don't floss, we use ultrasonic brushes so I don't know about that stuff. What kind should I get (we've got a Longs Drugs store here in the village)? Why wouldn't you use it in production? Is it skinnier than regular lacing cord? -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Thanks, Dave! I've emailed you but 20ft is definitely enough. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

> I've got a couple of spools in my toolbox in the hangar. Coming down > through Rocklin any time this week? Or even better, Grass Valley? >
Thanks for the offer, Jim. Dave wanted to send me a little via mail. I'll also ask a neighbor who just completed his 2nd aircraft whether he knows a local source (with public access and not behind an airport security fence). But the last days he was gone, he's logging hours in his new toy like crazy. Can't blame him.
John Larkin wrote:
> "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote: >> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>> The only thing the Mac does is work and look beautiful. It's an >>> awesome piece of design, and the OS is superb. >> >> It's just UNIX with a bit of sanity added. :-) >> >>> I just bought a dozen HP ProLiant "server" boxes so I guess we >>> won't be converting to Macs any time soon. >> >> Macs will happily access PC servers, > > We're going to use the HPs as regular PCs, not as servers. I'm > typing on one now. We decided they were just the cleanest and > probably most reliable machines we could find, and we wanted > everybody in the company to be running the same iron, with a > couple of spares around.
I assume you are running something other than Windoze on them. I am not familiar with Forte Agent. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> <http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html> <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html> cbfalconer at maineline dot net -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:01:13 -0700, the renowned Joerg
<notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard >time assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but >their search "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than >they'll ever know.
You really appreciate how *good* most of the electronics sites are when you have to use some of the mech ones. One mold component maker, for example, has 3D models of many of their parts. The interface is insanely clumsy- for example you can search by their names such as "Jiffy Tite" (if you can remember them exactly) but cannot search by their part numbers-- otherwise you have to drill down through their entire catalog for each part (of course it's a *different* catalog from the online part catalog, which, in turn, is modelled after their print catalog in sort-of logical sections rather than being searchable). They (DME) are one of the biggest suppliers and it's pretty awful. Then there is Hasco. One of their salesman told me today that he has no problems (but, of course, he uses the German catalog). Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

Did you try these guys? http://www.mcmaster.com/ http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml Their sites are ok, for the most part. But I have only needed rather mundane stuff, don't know how it would be for real boutique parts. They do go back to their catalogs but it isn't nearly as slow as Digikey. To my utter amazement I once stumbled across unusual stuff at McMaster-Carr: You can even buy salt and pepper shakers there. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
On Tue, 01 May 2007 16:44:47 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote: >>> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >>> >>>> The only thing the Mac does is work and look beautiful. It's an >>>> awesome piece of design, and the OS is superb. >>> >>> It's just UNIX with a bit of sanity added. :-) >>> >>>> I just bought a dozen HP ProLiant "server" boxes so I guess we >>>> won't be converting to Macs any time soon. >>> >>> Macs will happily access PC servers, >> >> We're going to use the HPs as regular PCs, not as servers. I'm >> typing on one now. We decided they were just the cleanest and >> probably most reliable machines we could find, and we wanted >> everybody in the company to be running the same iron, with a >> couple of spares around. > >I assume you are running something other than Windoze on them. I >am not familiar with Forte Agent. >
XP. It's not authorized, but it seems to work fine, given that we had to download some disk drivers. Agent is a nice news client. There's a free version, but the paid one, $20 or some such, is worth it. John
On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:37:12 GMT, the renowned Joerg

>Spehro Pefhany wrote: > >> On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:01:13 -0700, the renowned Joerg >> <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote: >> >> >>>Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard >>>time assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but >>>their search "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than >>>they'll ever know. >> >> >> You really appreciate how *good* most of the electronics sites are >> when you have to use some of the mech ones. One mold component maker, >> for example, has 3D models of many of their parts. The interface is >> insanely clumsy- for example you can search by their names such as >> "Jiffy Tite" (if you can remember them exactly) but cannot search by >> their part numbers-- otherwise you have to drill down through their >> entire catalog for each part (of course it's a *different* catalog >> from the online part catalog, which, in turn, is modelled after their >> print catalog in sort-of logical sections rather than being >> searchable). They (DME) are one of the biggest suppliers and it's >> pretty awful. Then there is Hasco. One of their salesman told me today >> that he has no problems (but, of course, he uses the German catalog). >> > >Did you try these guys? > >http://www.mcmaster.com/ >http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml > >Their sites are ok, for the most part. But I have only needed rather >mundane stuff, don't know how it would be for real boutique parts.
The above-mentioned sites are decent (like Digikey, useful as references too), but they just don't carry such specialized parts. Once you get beyond adequate quality SH cap screws and O-rings, they fizzle out quickly. Here's a view of a 3D model of a portion of a mold I designed: http://server2.hostingplex.com/~zstoretr/manifold_assembly.jpg You can see titanium spacers, a special copper alloy sprue bushing, leader pins, titanium tubular dowels, and such like even in just a simple couple of plates. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On 2007-05-01, Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>> For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like >> waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using >> it in production or flight hardware. >> > > Now that's an idea. I don't floss, we use ultrasonic brushes so I don't > know about that stuff.
> What kind should I get
Unscented! I've seen waxed thread used in leatherwork, try a craft store, or saddlery. Bye. Jasen