Forums

Debuggers: DDD / Insight / Eclipse / ??

Started by JeanneP June 1, 2007
Hi all,

Can anyone provide comparisons betweeen using DDD or Insight or
Eclipse for
gui source level debugging?  Or suggest a good commercial debugger?

I've just joined development on a product that runs MontaVista linux,
with
development performed on a linux server, which I access from an XP
machine
on my desk. I know a little Unix / Linux but for the most part I've
used Windows
tools in the past, so while most folks here are satisfied with remote
gdb in
emacs I'm trying to find an environment I'm more comfortable with to
lessen my
learning curve. DDD is already here, though I'll probably be the only
person here
using it.

My impressions are that Eclipse is still maturing and it'll be a
challenge to get it
installed and running. I have no idea how much it might be worthwhile.
I
understand there's a new release of the CDT plugin due in a month or
so that is
touted to be a lot better than the current release, for what that's
worth.  I
understand Eclipse is an IDE but I already have a favorite editor
(which does
not happen to integrate with gdb).

>From what I can gather Insight might be worth the effort of getting it
installed, if I can figure out if it supports my (power PC) target processor and if I can figure out how to get it installed and running. For either Eclipse or Insight I'll probably be on my own for installing/configuring the tool, and as I said my linux knowledge is limited, so it'll have to be worth the time. My manager said buying a good tool might be an option, if we can find one. Thanks, JeanneP
"JeanneP" <jeanne.petrangelo@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1180724383.251572.89930@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all, > > Can anyone provide comparisons betweeen using DDD or Insight or > Eclipse for > gui source level debugging? Or suggest a good commercial debugger? > > I've just joined development on a product that runs MontaVista linux, > with > development performed on a linux server, which I access from an XP > machine > on my desk. I know a little Unix / Linux but for the most part I've > used Windows > tools in the past, so while most folks here are satisfied with remote > gdb in > emacs I'm trying to find an environment I'm more comfortable with to > lessen my > learning curve. DDD is already here, though I'll probably be the only > person here > using it. > > My impressions are that Eclipse is still maturing and it'll be a > challenge to get it > installed and running. I have no idea how much it might be worthwhile. > I > understand there's a new release of the CDT plugin due in a month or > so that is > touted to be a lot better than the current release, for what that's > worth. I > understand Eclipse is an IDE but I already have a favorite editor > (which does > not happen to integrate with gdb). > >>From what I can gather Insight might be worth the effort of getting it > installed, if > I can figure out if it supports my (power PC) target processor and if > I can figure > out how to get it installed and running. For either Eclipse or Insight > I'll probably > be on my own for installing/configuring the tool, and as I said my > linux > knowledge is limited, so it'll have to be worth the time. > > My manager said buying a good tool might be an option, if we can find > one. > > Thanks, > JeanneP
If you are looking for a low code (relatively) IDE for GCC then you could check out http://www.rowley.co.uk . Their tools work well, and run both on Linux and Windoze. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
> If you are looking for a low code (relatively) IDE for GCC then you could > check out http://www.rowley.co.uk . Their tools work well, and run both > on Linux and Windoze.
Sorry - scrub that - I've just re-read your post and seen that you are after PowerPC. I was thinking you were after ARM tools. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
JeanneP <jeanne.petrangelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I can gather Insight might be worth the effort of getting it > installed, if I can figure out if it supports my (power PC) target > processor and if I can figure out how to get it installed and running. For > either Eclipse or Insight I'll probably be on my own for > installing/configuring the tool, and as I said my linux knowledge is > limited, so it'll have to be worth the time.
All of the tools you have mentioned are actually just front ends on to GDB.
> My manager said buying a good tool might be an option, if we can find > one.
The only commerical debugger for Linux I know of is TotalView from TotalViewTech formally Etnus. (www.totalviewtech.com). This is really meant for debugging of parallel systems. It does run on POWER/Linux, this is meant for IBM super computers really I don't know if Embedded PowerPC is similar enough for it to work. -p -- "Unix is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are." - Anonymous --------------------------------------------------------------------
On Jun 1, 3:20 pm, Paul Gotch <p...@at-cantab-dot.net> wrote:
> JeanneP <jeanne.petrang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > From what I can gather Insight might be worth the effort of getting it > > installed, if I can figure out if it supports my (power PC) target > > processor and if I can figure out how to get it installed and running. For > > either Eclipse or Insight I'll probably be on my own for > > installing/configuring the tool, and as I said my linux knowledge is > > limited, so it'll have to be worth the time. > > All of the tools you have mentioned are actually just front ends on to GDB.
Yes; since the system already has gdb on it, I figured a front end to gdb would be the least pain to get to use. It's also worth mentioning that this product is already deployed in the field, so I don't want to make any major changes to it.
> The only commerical debugger for Linux I know of is TotalView from > TotalViewTech formally Etnus. (www.totalviewtech.com).
Thanks... I didn't see MontaVista linux or PowerPC listed on their spec sheet but I sent their sales an email. So.... any comparisons, anyone? Or should I give up and learn gdb on emacs? JeanneP (currently able to use the target-specific remote gdb but when I try to use DDD, it tells me the connection to my target IP address was refused! ???)
JeanneP wrote:
> > Can anyone provide comparisons betweeen using DDD or Insight or > Eclipse for gui source level debugging? Or suggest a good > commercial debugger? >
... snip ...
> > My manager said buying a good tool might be an option, if we can > find one.
Please control your line length. I had to reformat the above. If gdb can read the debug info (names, locations, etc.) from your object file, that is probably a superior option. It also has the advantage of being free. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> <http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html> <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html> cbfalconer at maineline dot net -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com