SBC for running XP or XPE? (other than EPIA)

Started by ElderUberGeek June 11, 2007
I am designing a system that will initially run on WinXP using a
regular PC, but when stable I plan to scale it down to a SBC and run
it on XP Embedded.

Firstly, any design considerations or other factors I should be aware
of? For example, I know some classes etc. are not supported on XPE so
one has to take care not to use them (is there a list?).

Anyway, my question is about what SBC to use. I have been looking at
the VIA EPIA EK (fanless) and it comes in at about $250 for quantities
above 100. Seems sort of steep (considering all the other stuff you
need to add also). Any other suggestions, considering what I am trying
to accomplish?

Many thanks

PS - this is intended to be a solid state system so I prefer fanless
boards....

On Jun 11, 10:49 am, ElderUberGeek <aribl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, my question is about what SBC to use. I have been looking at > the VIA EPIA EK (fanless) and it comes in at about $250 for quantities > above 100. Seems sort of steep (considering all the other stuff you > need to add also). Any other suggestions, considering what I am trying > to accomplish?
Frankly, you won't find a cheaper solution that can run XP usefully. [Some might argue the solution set of computers that can run XP usefully is null, but that's a separate story]. Start asking for fanless x86 motherboards and you'll be moving towards server hardware, which is not cheap. Via's products are in rather a sweet spot on the price-performance curve. You can get smaller, or run- cooler, or more performance (or some combination of those attributes), but you'll pay more for the privilege. 100 units is a negligible quantity for any x86 vendor, too.

www.kontron.com has a good range and their prices are (were) good. They will even customize for larger builds (circa 500units).
ElderUberGeek wrote:
> > I am designing a system that will initially run on WinXP using a > regular PC, but when stable I plan to scale it down to a SBC and > run it on XP Embedded.
Be aware that XP will not be available next year, and of some of the penalties for using Vista, listed in my sig. below. At any rate, either system is wrapped in an impossible EULA. Take a closer look at Linux. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> <http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html> <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html> cbfalconer at maineline dot net -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
"ElderUberGeek" <aribloch@gmail.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
1181573398.541059.26190@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
Have a look at www.compulab.co.il . Depending on the application and services running under XPE a medium config board like the the CM-iVCF or even the CM-IGLX may be enough. Cost for a iGLX with 128MB ram and 128MB flash and Ethernet is under 140$ per 1000. Cheers, Robert
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:01:25 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>ElderUberGeek wrote: >> >> I am designing a system that will initially run on WinXP using a >> regular PC, but when stable I plan to scale it down to a SBC and >> run it on XP Embedded. > >Be aware that XP will not be available next year, and of some of
Citation please.
On Jun 13, 8:01 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Be aware that XP will not be available next year, and of some of > the penalties for using Vista, listed in my sig. below. At any > rate, either system is wrapped in an impossible EULA. Take a > closer look at Linux.
The problem with this is that in the majority of those cases where Windows was specified initially, designing around Linux is going to add development time and subtract functionality. For example, you might need support for playing Adobe Flash movies. This is difficult to achieve in Linux and performance is "interesting" at best. It's much simpler just to boot off the Windows CD, load it on the hard drive, and run your application in Internet Explorer. Of course I am not talking about "real" applications but rather applications that are primarily eye candy and have no security, accountability or performance requirements; vending kiosks, digital jukeboxes, electronic voting machines, and so on.
Just ask your Microsoft rep. They have so announced. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> <http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html> <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html> cbfalconer at maineline dot net -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:01:18 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The Real Andy wrote: >> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote: >>> ElderUberGeek wrote: >>>> >>>> I am designing a system that will initially run on WinXP using a >>>> regular PC, but when stable I plan to scale it down to a SBC and >>>> run it on XP Embedded. >> >>> Be aware that XP will not be available next year, and of some of >> >> Citation please. > >Just ask your Microsoft rep. They have so announced.
I have never seen that announcement, where would i find it? I am a gold certified partner yet I have never heard such.
The Real Andy wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:01:18 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> > wrote: > >> The Real Andy wrote: >>> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>> ElderUberGeek wrote: >>>>> I am designing a system that will initially run on WinXP using a >>>>> regular PC, but when stable I plan to scale it down to a SBC and >>>>> run it on XP Embedded. >>>> Be aware that XP will not be available next year, and of some of >>> Citation please. >> Just ask your Microsoft rep. They have so announced. > > I have never seen that announcement, where would i find it? I am a > gold certified partner yet I have never heard such.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx So apparently XP *will* be available next year - until 31st January. "System builders" can get it for another year after that (although I don't know the differences between "System builder license" and "Direct OEM license"), and XP Embedded may last longer. But MS's plans for XP in general seem fairly clear to me - although maybe as a certified partner, you have access to more accurate information than me.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference