Zilog Z8S180 problems

Started by Mike Harding October 2, 2004

No, I was using the 64180/Z180 several years ago, and remembered that was a common pitfall... -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma�. http://www.autometer.de
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:43:34 +0200, Tilmann Reh wrote:
> Mike Harding schrieb: > >>>You know that you need to use IN0 und OUT0 instead of IN/OUT >>>for accessing the internal registers? >> >> Thanks Tilmann, those are the instruction I'm using. >> Are you using this CPU - especially the clock doubling >> function, with success?
I can't remember how it was done but the HCS II uses it. You can take a look at it's code to see if that helps. The Clock double had limitations but you still should be able to get to the registers. Maybe you've put into compatible mode (I seem to recall there being some bit you flip that makes it behave like the old z180). -- Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only) http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II) http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
I seem to be unable to access the new registers on the Zilog
Z8S180 CPU, things like the Clock Multiplier register, the
additional DMA register etc. When I try to write to these
registers my writes seem to be ignored and when I read
them back I read FF from most 00 from one. Anyone else
having problems with this chip or know the secret code
to make it work? :) For all the world it's behaving as if it
were a Z180 rather than a S180. I have tried two different
chips, one date coded 0106 and the other 0348 - same
problem with both.

Mike Harding

"Mike Harding" <mike_harding@nixspam.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:09:34 +0200, Tilmann Reh > <tilmannreh@despammed.com> wrote: > > >Mike Harding schrieb: > > > >> I seem to be unable to access the new registers on the Zilog > >> Z8S180 CPU, things like the Clock Multiplier register, the > >> additional DMA register etc. When I try to write to these > >> registers my writes seem to be ignored and when I read > >> them back I read FF from most 00 from one. Anyone else > >> having problems with this chip or know the secret code > >> to make it work? :) For all the world it's behaving as if it > >> were a Z180 rather than a S180. I have tried two different > >> chips, one date coded 0106 and the other 0348 - same > >> problem with both. > > > >You know that you need to use IN0 und OUT0 instead of IN/OUT > >for accessing the internal registers? > > Thanks Tilmann, those are the instruction I'm using. > Are you using this CPU - especially the clock doubling > function, with success?
Did you accidentally write to ICR (3Fh) relocating the internal registers? I've successfully used the BRG and clock doubler in the "S" parts for many years. Bill Softools
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:09:34 +0200, Tilmann Reh
<tilmannreh@despammed.com> wrote:

>Mike Harding schrieb: > >> I seem to be unable to access the new registers on the Zilog >> Z8S180 CPU, things like the Clock Multiplier register, the >> additional DMA register etc. When I try to write to these >> registers my writes seem to be ignored and when I read >> them back I read FF from most 00 from one. Anyone else >> having problems with this chip or know the secret code >> to make it work? :) For all the world it's behaving as if it >> were a Z180 rather than a S180. I have tried two different >> chips, one date coded 0106 and the other 0348 - same >> problem with both. > >You know that you need to use IN0 und OUT0 instead of IN/OUT >for accessing the internal registers?
Thanks Tilmann, those are the instruction I'm using. Are you using this CPU - especially the clock doubling function, with success? Mike Harding
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:53:33 GMT, "Bill A." <bill_ct@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Did you accidentally write to ICR (3Fh) relocating the internal registers? >I've successfully used the BRG and clock doubler in the "S" parts for many >years.
Don't think so Bill. I can still write and read from the other registers OK, 1F etc and the two locations either side of the new DMA register (2C and 2E? - don't have the data book here) plus all the usual peripheral registers. Mike Harding

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference