Forums

Microcontroller selection

Started by Ravishankar S June 26, 2007
Hello group,

Im looking for a controller which has the following I/O (and nothing else)

USB 2.0
100Mpps Ethernet
A lot of (40) configurable GPIO pins
A powerful processing core (> 40 Mhz) which can support RTOS/embedded Linux.
128K -  512K - 1 MB NOR Flash
16 K - 32- 64K RAM

and no other I/O device (except possibly the  venerable old RS-232 serial
interface)

Searching for oneis tedious. Looking first if there is ready reckoner by
anyone..?

Is an FPGA more suitable in case there is no microcontroller with such
tailored requirements..?

Kind Regards,
Ravishankar

"Ravishankar S" <ravishankar.s@in.bosch.com> a &#2013265929;crit dans le message de
news: f5qai5$d4i$1@news4.fe.internet.bosch.com...
If you want an embedded Linux then you will definitively need more than 1Mo of Flash and 64Ko of RAM. What about using a ready made low cost COM module, like http://www.compulab.co.il/x270/html/x270-cm-datasheet.htm ? Yours, Robert
Ravishankar S wrote:
> Hello group, > > Im looking for a controller which has the following I/O (and nothing else) > > USB 2.0 > 100Mpps Ethernet > A lot of (40) configurable GPIO pins > A powerful processing core (> 40 Mhz) which can support RTOS/embedded Linux. > 128K - 512K - 1 MB NOR Flash > 16 K - 32- 64K RAM > > and no other I/O device (except possibly the venerable old RS-232 serial > interface) > > Searching for oneis tedious. Looking first if there is ready reckoner by > anyone..? > > Is an FPGA more suitable in case there is no microcontroller with such > tailored requirements..? > > Kind Regards, > Ravishankar >
By the time you are going above 512K flash, it is normally much more cost effective to have an external flash device on a databus. You are also going to want more ram - there is very little reason for having USB2 and 100 Mb Ethernet if you don't have the space to do something with it. So unless you have very specific reasons for wanting memories on-chip, look for something with an external databus.
> Im looking for a controller which has the following I/O (and nothing else) > > USB 2.0 > 100Mpps Ethernet > A lot of (40) configurable GPIO pins > A powerful processing core (> 40 Mhz) which can support RTOS/embedded > Linux. > 128K - 512K - 1 MB NOR Flash > 16 K - 32- 64K RAM > > and no other I/O device (except possibly the venerable old RS-232 serial > interface) > > Searching for oneis tedious. Looking first if there is ready reckoner by > anyone..?
An Atmel AVR32 (AP7000) will do what you want if you accept external flash and the USB 2.0 is a device and not a host.
> > Is an FPGA more suitable in case there is no microcontroller with such > tailored requirements..? >
You will not find an FPGA with built in flash.
> Kind Regards, > Ravishankar > >
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
thanks guys, for the hints!

the reason for internal flash is: makes the board smaller and simpler (no
memory interfacing) and reduced pin count
the reason for linux is: low cost, drivers for ethernet and USB built in and
already present know-how (in writing drivers)

i have not looked into AP7000 yet. but point not to forget in controller
selection is: tool support. how are the tools support for AVR32 ?

-> build tools:  i suppose GNU must have been already ported../ Atmel has
AVRStudio ..integration..?
-> debug tools -> Any low cost wigglers available..(gdb support?)
-> OS: linux support/ does atmel provide any drivers/RTOS

Intended application:
The application is simple debug device which provides a better performance
and ease of use than Wiggler.  I suppose a microcontroller with built in
support for configurable I/O should help here.

Kind Regards,
Ravishankar

"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message
> > Im looking for a controller which has the following I/O (and nothing
else)
> > interface) > > > > Searching for oneis tedious. Looking first if there is ready reckoner by > > anyone..? > > An Atmel AVR32 (AP7000) will do what you want > if you accept external flash and the USB 2.0 is a device and not a host. > > > > > Is an FPGA more suitable in case there is no microcontroller with such > > tailored requirements..? > > > > You will not find an FPGA with built in flash. > > > > Kind Regards, > > Ravishankar > > > > > > -- > Best Regards, > Ulf Samuelsson > This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, > or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB > >
Wrong.  Many vendors make FPGAs with built-in flash, for instance refer to
the Xilinx Spartan 3AN.

---Matthew Hicks

On Jun 26, 7:41 am, "Ravishankar S" <ravishanka...@in.bosch.com>
wrote:

> the reason for internal flash is: makes the board smaller and simpler (no > memory interfacing) and reduced pin count > the reason for linux is: low cost, drivers for ethernet and USB built in and > already present know-how (in writing drivers)
I'm not aware of a single-chip Linux solution. For any useful Linux You need more RAM than you've specified. Even uCLinux "specifies" minimum 1MB ROM/flash and 200KB RAM.
Actually, whatever isn't used for the FPGA's bitstream can be used to store
anything else and is acessable to the FPGA logic at runtime.

---Matthew Hicks

Ravishankar S wrote:
> thanks guys, for the hints! > > the reason for internal flash is: makes the board smaller and simpler (no > memory interfacing) and reduced pin count
Microcontrollers with glueless memory interfaces are often quite simple, but external memory certainly adds to the pin count and board size.
> the reason for linux is: low cost, drivers for ethernet and USB built in and > already present know-how (in writing drivers) >
You might find support in other systems, such as freertos, or using separate stacks like lwip. Linux and internal memories do not go together, as a general rule. The only exception I know of is from Axis: http://www.axis.com/products/dev/index.htm
> i have not looked into AP7000 yet. but point not to forget in controller > selection is: tool support. how are the tools support for AVR32 ? > > -> build tools: i suppose GNU must have been already ported../ Atmel has > AVRStudio ..integration..? > -> debug tools -> Any low cost wigglers available..(gdb support?) > -> OS: linux support/ does atmel provide any drivers/RTOS > > Intended application: > The application is simple debug device which provides a better performance > and ease of use than Wiggler. I suppose a microcontroller with built in > support for configurable I/O should help here. >
Linux is way over the top for such an application, IMHO.