Started by Steve September 30, 2004
Hello,
   We are using ECOS for our embedded system. We currently use 250 threads
in the system. We would like to use more than 256, but we think 256 is the
maximum for ECOS. Is there any way to increase this to at least 1024?

Steve

"Steve" <misc@sgwest.com> wrote in message
news:ZCR6d.393037$8_6.158062@attbi_s04...
> Hello, > We are using ECOS for our embedded system. We currently use 250 threads > in the system. We would like to use more than 256, but we think 256 is the > maximum for ECOS. Is there any way to increase this to at least 1024? >
Can you tell us what you use 250 threads for?
On 2004-09-30, Steve <misc@sgwest.com> wrote:

> We are using ECOS for our embedded system.
I presume you mean eCos?
> We currently use 250 threads in the system. We would like to > use more than 256, but we think 256 is the maximum for ECOS.
Um, why do you think that? I don't see anything in the source code that looks like a limit. I don't see anything in the ecos.ecc file that looks like it controls the number of threads. The thread structures are allocated in user code, and kept on linked lists by the kernel, so I don't even see why there would be a limit.
> Is there any way to increase this to at least 1024?
The eCos mailing list is probably the best place to ask. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just got my PRINCE at bumper sticker... But now I visi.com can't remember WHO he is...
We think there is a limit of 256 threads because ECOS does not seem to
execute the threads over 256 and the system slows down to a crawl. It is
possible that the ECOS Stack is a problem with so many open sockets.

Steve

On 2004-09-30, Steve <misc@sgwest.com> wrote:

[It's spelled "eCos".]

> We think there is a limit of 256 threads because ECOS does not > seem to execute the threads over 256 and the system slows down > to a crawl.
There may be, but I couldn't find it in the documentation, configuration, or source code.
> It is possible that the ECOS Stack is a problem with so many > open sockets.
By "stack" you mean the TCP/IP network stack? Which one are you using? IIRC, there _is_ a hard limit on the number of open file descriptors (hence open sockets) and on the maximum number of "pending network events" or somesuch. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Make me look like at LINDA RONSTADT again!! visi.com
Ok it's eCos. Yes I mean TCPIP Stack. I notice quite a few select failures
when the threads get over 256. I have the socket/file/pending count set to
4096 and 40 megs of net memory. I don't see any socket failures just select
receive failures. We use free bsd tcpip.

Steve

On 2004-09-30, Steve <misc@sgwest.com> wrote:

> Ok it's eCos.
Thanks. :)
> Yes I mean TCPIP Stack. I notice quite a few select failures > when the threads get over 256. I have the socket/file/pending > count set to 4096 and 40 megs of net memory. I don't see any > socket failures just select receive failures. We use free bsd > tcpip.
I don't _know_ of any intentional limit anywhere on the number of threads. Try the eCos mailing list. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! HELLO KITTY gang at terrorizes town, family visi.com STICKERED to death!
On 2004-09-30 06:55:53 -0400, "Steve" <misc@sgwest.com> said:

> Hello, > We are using ECOS for our embedded system. We currently use 250 threads > in the system. We would like to use more than 256, but we think 256 is the > maximum for ECOS. Is there any way to increase this to at least 1024? > > Steve
Just a quick stab, but did you confirm FD_SETSIZE to be what you need ?

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference