Ultra low temperature microcontroller ?

Started by Unknown July 12, 2007
Hello all,

We are having a hard time finding a suitable microcontroller for our new
automotive project. The product will have to operate in a very harsh
enviroment including temperatures lower than -40 deg. C.

Most microcontroller has -40 deg. C. as the lowest limit. Anyone here knows
of microcontrollers that maybe goes to -50 deg. C. ?

All architectures are welcome!

Best Regards

Morten M. J�rgensen

"Morten M J&#4294967295;rgensen" <neax@fake.mail.com> wrote in message

> > Most microcontroller has -40 deg. C. as the lowest limit. Anyone here > knows of microcontrollers that maybe goes to -50 deg. C. ? > > All architectures are welcome! >
a microcontroller with a heater?. .... space electronics use microheaters to keep the electronics within a useable working band. Normally by careful layout and appropriate insulation/heatsinking you can redistribute the system hotspots and get the heating for free. All part of the design process I am afraid.

atmega32 -55c to +125c just plucked that one out of the box, didn't need to search. see: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2503.pdf under electical characteristics. -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email No More Damn Spam: http://www.wizard-of-oz.com Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659 USB Flash Drive interface for existing products. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Morten M J&#4294967295;rgensen wrote:
> We are having a hard time finding a suitable microcontroller for our new > automotive project. The product will have to operate in a very harsh > enviroment including temperatures lower than -40 deg. C.
Put the microcontoller between the driver's thighs. If it drops below -40 there, nobody's going anywhere.
> atmega32 -55c to +125c
All chip that respect military temperature range goes from -55&#4294967295;C to +125&#4294967295;C. I think you should be able to find some... -- Guillaume Chevillot
Since the application is a small footprint temperature sensor I don't think
this will do. I think it will be hard to control the influence of the heater
!?!?

--
Morten
"Icky Thwacket" <it@it.it> skrev i en meddelelse
> > "Morten M J&#4294967295;rgensen" <neax@fake.mail.com> wrote in message > news:4695d93b$0$193$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk... > >> >> Most microcontroller has -40 deg. C. as the lowest limit. Anyone here >> knows of microcontrollers that maybe goes to -50 deg. C. ? >> >> All architectures are welcome! >> > > a microcontroller with a heater?. > > .... space electronics use microheaters to keep the electronics within a > useable working band. Normally by careful layout and appropriate > insulation/heatsinking you can redistribute the system hotspots and get > the heating for free. All part of the design process I am afraid. >
The operating range states:

-40 to 85 deg. C.

The absolute maximum ratings states: 55 deg. C.

I looking for at controller which includes below -40 within  its
operational/working range.

--
Morten

Paul Burke wrote:
> Morten M J&#4294967295;rgensen wrote: > >> We are having a hard time finding a suitable microcontroller for our >> new automotive project. The product will have to operate in a very >> harsh enviroment including temperatures lower than -40 deg. C. > > > Put the microcontoller between the driver's thighs. If it drops below > -40 there, nobody's going anywhere.
Glad I was not drinking anything when I read that one.... :)) -jg
In news:4695d93b$0$193$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk timestamped Thu,
12 Jul 2007 09:33:20 +0200, "Morten M J&#4294967295;rgensen" <neax@fake.mail.com>
posted:
|"Hello all,                                                                |
|                                                                           |
[...]

Hello,

A suitable but excessive device would be one designed for use in
space, e.g. a field programmable gate array for space from Aeroflex (
HTTP://AMS.Aeroflex.com/ProductFiles/DataSheets/FPGA/RadHardEclipseFPGA.pdf
at -55 degrees Celsius compatible with a synthesized 8051 clone which
can address gigabytes of memory (
WWW.SiliconLaude.com
). I have found Aeroflex and Silicon Laude to be pleasantly flexible,
in contrast in my experience, my point of contact in Honeywell did not
make enough of an effort to export components for extreme conditions.

If you speak to Aeroflex and Silicon Laude, they may be able to
suggest some division other than its astronautical division which
might make devices which are suitably cheap for you but still adequate
for a low temperature.

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster
On Jul 12, 3:33 am, "Morten M J=F8rgensen" <n...@fake.mail.com> wrote:
> > We are having a hard time finding a suitable microcontroller for our new > automotive project. The product will have to operate in a very harsh > enviroment including temperatures lower than -40 deg. C.
In addition to the other comments I'd recommend not running your clock close to the highest rated speed, and I'd also have you check on the ratings of supporting components such as capactitors and XTAL oscilators. A/D conversion is likely to be spotty near the temperature extremes also (check the spec sheets carefully - I know that Silabs is one company that specs A/D for the whole temp range but I don't know about the others). I'd design the whole system with at least a 20% margin to hedge my bet. Eric