USB to Ethernet

Started by Ali August 3, 2007
Hello good folks,

Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset?

http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php

http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm

http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html

I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome,
very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough
to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ?

Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation
and example code was wonderful;-)

regards,
ali

On Aug 3, 11:16 am, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset?
You might specify if you want a USB device, or a USB host. If a USB host, what sort of USB devices will be connected to it?
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:16:24 -0000, Ali <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello good folks, > >Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? > >http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php > >http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm > >http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html > >I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome, >very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough >to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ? > >Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation >and example code was wonderful;-) >
If you want USB device to ethernet, then the STR9 Comstick might fit the bill. Regards Anton Erasmus
On Aug 4, 2:58 am, cs_post...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 3, 11:16 am, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? > > You might specify if you want a USB device, or a USB host. > > If a USB host, what sort of USB devices will be connected to it?
Certainly it will be USB device and it is working fine when connected to host (PC). At the moment I'm not sure what USB(1/1/1.1/2.0) it is, as that device will arrive in next week. ali
Anton Erasmus wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:16:24 -0000, Ali <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote: > > >Hello good folks, > > > >Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? > > > >http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php > > > >http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm > > > >http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html > > > >I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome, > >very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough > >to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ? > > > >Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation > >and example code was wonderful;-) > > > > If you want USB device to ethernet, then the STR9 Comstick might fit > the bill. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus
Anton, thanks for that. Do they have any *nix like OS for their ARM966E ? cann't see on their web. Frankly this looks good but I don't want to have a tank for mouse hunt;-) thanks, ali
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 00:36:21 -0000, Ali <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Anton Erasmus wrote: >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:16:24 -0000, Ali <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >Hello good folks, >> > >> >Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? >> > >> >http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php >> > >> >http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm >> > >> >http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html >> > >> >I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome, >> >very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough >> >to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ? >> > >> >Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation >> >and example code was wonderful;-) >> > >> >> If you want USB device to ethernet, then the STR9 Comstick might fit >> the bill. >> >> Regards >> Anton Erasmus > >Anton, thanks for that. Do they have any *nix like OS for their >ARM966E ? cann't see on their web. Frankly this looks good but I don't >want to have a tank for mouse hunt;-)
I have not used the Comstick as such, but I believe they have some sort og open source RTOS port that includes the TCP/IP stack. These ARM9s from ST does not have a MMU, hence is not really suitable for *nix. For that you have products from Atmel and NXP AFAIK. Regards Anton Erasmus
On Aug 5, 3:44 am, Anton Erasmus <nob...@spam.prevent.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 00:36:21 -0000, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >Anton Erasmus wrote: > >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:16:24 -0000, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> >Hello good folks, > > >> >Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? > > >> >http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php > > >> >http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm > > >> >http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html > > >> >I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome, > >> >very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough > >> >to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ? > > >> >Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation > >> >and example code was wonderful;-) > > >> If you want USB device to ethernet, then the STR9 Comstick might fit > >> the bill. > > >> Regards > >> Anton Erasmus > > >Anton, thanks for that. Do they have any *nix like OS for their > >ARM966E ? cann't see on their web. Frankly this looks good but I don't > >want to have a tank for mouse hunt;-) > > I have not used the Comstick as such, but I believe they have some > sort og open source RTOS port that includes the TCP/IP stack. These > ARM9s from ST does not have a MMU, hence is not really suitable for > *nix. For that you have products from Atmel and NXP AFAIK. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus
Anton, thanks for followup. Actually my device is fully functional when connected to host (PC). Now, we want to provide web interface and thats it. We don't expect any extra favour from usb2tcp/ip module (sure, few extra I/O pins would be great but not necessary). Device is RFID reader and some times it will just send small packets, but, some times it will be continues data stream (for example, audio/ video). I wonder if i can find some device without an OS and acting just like a pipe while moving data back and forth;-) I don't know any thing from Atmel or NXP for usb2ethernet , let me check their web. ali
Got something interesting here http://www.davicom.com.tw/eng/products/dm9601.htm But its only compliant with USB1.1;-) ali
"Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello good folks, > > Any thoughts for USB to ethernet chipset? > > http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php > > http://www.k-micro.us/USB/downloads.htm > > http://www.moschip.com/html/MCS7830.html > > I tried rabbit gadget for serial2ethernet before and it was awesome, > very good because of tcp/ip library and few lines of code were enough > to make it work and customize. Any thing like that for usb2ethernet ? > > Sure, rabbit do have poor interactive support but their ducumentation > and example code was wonderful;-) > > > regards, > ali >
The AVR32 based AT32AP7000 has high speed USB and 10/100 Ethernet and runs Linux. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
On Aug 7, 6:11 am, "Ulf Samuelsson" <u...@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote:

> The AVR32 based AT32AP7000 has high speed USB and 10/100 Ethernet > and runs Linux.
Anyone interested in the AVR32 should also check the online videos at www.avrtv.com. This chip is awesome and the dev boards are cheap. They've broken out these devices into the strong application processors (AP7), and the smaller control oriented processors (UC3 and UCB). The Network Gateway Kit (basically a mini-router with 2 Ethernet and 1 USB) is very high powered at a super low price: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?family_id=682&family_name=AVR32+32%2Dbit+MCU%2FDSP&tool_id=4102 Although I'm not into embedded linux at this time, if I decide to go down that road I'll want to know that a hardware vendor is interested in supporting a linux BSP for that device/board, and Atmel is definitely into doing that. Some other vendors only grudingly admit that linux can work on their devices and they may have an old BSP they made a few years ago and never updated. Eric

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference