ATX power supply power switch

Started by AllenB September 26, 2004
What makes you think Windows would have anyting to do with that? I wrote "BIOS" up there, didn't I? -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
> I wrote "BIOS" up there, didn't I?
Yes, you did!
Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> Everett M. Greene <mojaveg@mojaveg.iwvisp.com> wrote: > > "Rob Turk" <wipe_me_r.turk@chello.nl> writes: > > > "Hans-Bernhard Broeker" <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote > > > > > > > > Anyway, the issue is quite moot since most BIOSes let you configure > > > > the mainboard to do this for you. "Automatic AC power loss restart" > > > > is what this feature is often called. > > > Where does one find this for say Windows XP? > > What makes you think Windows would have anyting to do with that? I > wrote "BIOS" up there, didn't I?
Let's be nice now. You are dealing with less than expert PCers here in this newsgroup. If we were expert PCers, we wouldn't have to work for a living. Substituting "BIOS" for "Windows XP", how does one find the "Automatic AC power loss restart" feature?
Everett M. Greene <mojaveg@mojaveg.iwvisp.com> wrote:
[...]
> Let's be nice now. You are dealing with less than expert PCers here > in this newsgroup.
Am I? Well, then let me put it in a different way: if you are building something that isn't a PC, you probably shouldn't be trying to put an ATX supply into it --- or be prepared to blame all the side effects on yourself, not the ATX designers. If you _are_ building a PC, you really should be enough of a PC expert to recognize the term "BIOS" without needing further explanations.
> Substituting "BIOS" for "Windows XP", how does one find the > "Automatic AC power loss restart" feature?
In the Motherboard's internal BIOS setup. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
That is Not the Solution.
Look in the BIOS Settings the is an option about what to do after a power
interruption.
the usual options are:
Stay Off
Turn On
Resume at last state.

Try that.

Careful with such blanket statements. There BIOSes out there that have been reported to lack this option completely. Silly, yes, but they exist. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> writes:
> That is Not the Solution. > Look in the BIOS Settings the is an option about what > to do after a power interruption. > the usual options are: > Stay Off > Turn On > Resume at last state. > > Try that.
Herr Broeker is not inclined to answer the question, so I'll try again: How does one get to the BIOS settings? I vaguely recall something about hitting some key during power startup...
Everett M. Greene wrote:
> Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> writes: >> That is Not the Solution. >> Look in the BIOS Settings the is an option about what >> to do after a power interruption. >> the usual options are: >> Stay Off >> Turn On >> Resume at last state. >> >> Try that. > > Herr Broeker is not inclined to answer the question, so > I'll try again: > > How does one get to the BIOS settings? I vaguely recall > something about hitting some key during power startup...
It varies based on system board manufacturer. Look it up in the manual which came with the board or go to their website.
> Neil Kurzman <nsk@mail.asb.com> writes: > > That is Not the Solution. > > Look in the BIOS Settings the is an option about what > > to do after a power interruption. > > the usual options are: > > Stay Off > > Turn On > > Resume at last state. > > > > Try that. > > Herr Broeker is not inclined to answer the question, so > I'll try again: > > How does one get to the BIOS settings? I vaguely recall > something about hitting some key during power startup...
While the computer is booting, before the OS starts loading, the screen normally displays a message, something along the lines of:"Press Del to enter setup". At this point press the delete key. I think where there was some confusion, in that you asked specifically for Windows XP, whereas the BIOS is completely independant of any OS. Thanks everyone for the useful replies, fortunately I have some custom hardware attached to the PC motherboard. This has an "always on" microcontroller on it, so I can use that to pulse the power line. Regards, Allen

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference